Notices
ECU Flash

How to Undo a ecuflash mod basics / concept

Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How to Undo a ecuflash mod basics / concept

In case you need to review the basics of how to undo a mod to your ECU you recently flashed here is the basic concept:

Lets say you followed an interesting thread, and it seemed like the solution to your issue (like I did), and then you decided to go forward with an ECUFlash mod in which you add some lines of code to your definition files and then edit the values of those new tables in ECUflash, and then Flash your ECU. yeah, everything works, but your original issue is still there. After some more reading and help from the forum folks you figure out that the mod that you applied won't in fact solve your issue, AND you need/should remove it. What is the appropriate way to undo what you did?

The simplest concept is that your version of ECUFlash now addresses those memory locations, so you need to Flash your ECU with the default values of those memory locations. These are the values you wiped out in the first flash of those addresses in the paragraph above. However, if you were like me and many others, you didn't in fact first READ the ROM of the ECUFlash with the new definition tables.

Most of the experienced guys, and now me too, will READ the ROM everytime before they flash something new to it. This is good practice. If you didn't you can get the default values for your ROM ID here.

There you can download your ROMs file and load it into ECUFlash next to your most recent flash (the one you did above, and shouldn't have). Now you can select the tables from the default ROM file and update or undo the ones of your working ROM file. Said differently UNDO the changes you made for those new tables back to their default or stock values.

flash again, and you will have effectively undone your mod.

Some other basic file info/structure I blabber on about is on this post.

peace
M
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Or you could simply keep the last couple of iterations of your rom as I and many others do. That way you can roll back just about any change. The reason being that say you didn't like some change you made 2 iterations ago if you've only kept the last 2.....

Plus that way you can try out a few different approaches for boost/timing/AFR, see how they perform in different ways and once you've digested it all go with the approach that seems to work best.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, keeping a complete and organized history of changes for EVERY group of changes you make is a much better way of managing things.

....unless you don't have 10mb of free space :P