Notices
ECU Flash

tranny temp monitoring on EDM Evo IXs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
tranny temp monitoring on EDM Evo IXs

A few people have mentioned something about the ECU monitoring tranny temp on EDM Evo IXs, so I took a look at an 88840016 ROM this evening. It appears that ADC 0E is used to monitor tranny temp. Scaled tranny temp appears to be at RAM address FFFF78CE. (probably the same for 88840017 ROMs as well.) There is no MUT that reads this RAM address, but its easy enough to change one of the MUT table values to 0x78CF (note the use of F and not E), and then tranny temp can be monitored in EvoScan on that MUT channel using the same scaling that is used for air temp and coolant temp.

There is subroutine that sets a flag when the tranny temp exceed 110 deg C (230 F), but I have not run down what the flag controls. Maybe I'll get to that sometime this week if anyone is interested.

If one of you EDM Evo IX guys has time, I would be very interested in seeing a picture of where the tranny temp sensor is mounted. I'd also like to know the part number. Would be great to be able to monitor tranny temp on my MR if the sensor is easily adapted to USDM trannys.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on monitoring my MR too.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try to take a pic if my car is still on lift...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by al\lupo
I will try to take a pic if my car is still on lift...
Can you lookup OEM number? Or can you PM VIN that I can look it up for mrfred?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, hope to go today or tomorrow.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw an additional light on my friends EDM IX that says "M/T TEMP" and thought to myself that they figured out something was wrong with the 6spd trannies and added that...

However the guy who owns the car will most likely never get that light to turn on.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

The sensor is actually part of the oil drain plug of the edm 6-speed transmission. I have some pics of the sensor i took before selling my 6-speed and doing the swap.

I'll post them later.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this would be very useful in monitoring. Especially for testing different fluids to determine which manufacture's fluids keeps the trans the coolest.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Gone to the shop but didn't take pics, we lost 2 hours in trying to restart the car without luck. Hope tomorrow will be on lift.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo8dad
Wow, this would be very useful in monitoring. Especially for testing different fluids to determine which manufacture's fluids keeps the trans the coolest.
it is pretty useful. I added a trans temp gauge after blowing up my OEM 6spd and putting in a TRE rebuilt 6spd.

One interesting piece of data I got from having the temp gauge is that the trans runs 8-10c warmer on the hwy without the undertray on a 75* day.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by al\lupo
Gone to the shop but didn't take pics, we lost 2 hours in trying to restart the car without luck. Hope tomorrow will be on lift.
Don't know what you have planned for the car while its on the lift, if you have a gear oil change planned, it would be great to get a few pics of the sensor tip. I'm curious to see if the sensor tip looks like and whether it is actually immersed in gear oil.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrfred
Don't know what you have planned for the car while its on the lift, if you have a gear oil change planned, it would be great to get a few pics of the sensor tip. I'm curious to see if the sensor tip looks like and whether it is actually immersed in gear oil.
My temp sensor isn't OEM (It's a Greddy) but I had Jon@TRE put it right (on his suggestion) above 4th gear so it would sling the oil on it coming off 4th gear so I could monitor that problem gear. Seems to work just fine.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
No gear oil change, it is at shop from 2 months after a crash, just rebuilding...
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

mrfred,

That would be very useful for the road race guys. Also it will be useful for people like me who would like to tap another temp sensor pre intercooler (I know we have the stock MAF sensor, but this is something special I'm working on). Basically it would be a default temperature input to the ecu that we could scale as needed and utilize as we deem necessary.

I think a safety function would be great. However we already have too much stuff going on in the ecu. I think its best if from now on we just let the user be responsible for his/her own car. If they really want a "safety" warning, just hook up a laptop in your car permanently and set evoscan to trigger a warning buzzer if temp>x.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Can you post where the subroutine begins. I am interested to see if some of the code is present in the GT-A with regards to the auto. It definitely has a trans temp sensor and has mapping for the transmission, but it would be good to note if the same sensor is tied in to the engine mapping too.

You would expect if there is engine control with trans temp, that for overtemp it would try to limit load and/or rpm. Interesting to see if it does.

Quick Reply: tranny temp monitoring on EDM Evo IXs