Notices
ECU Flash

How do you set your launch boost?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look for the "Lets see your fully tuned timing map".

Anyways, try retarding the timing in the 120 to 160 load and 5500 to 6000 rpm column. Try 6,7,8, or 6,8,8 just play around there to see what you get.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gotten 14 psi off launch control with 4 degree's timing.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:42 AM

love that 2 step man
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
-10 degrees in the proper cells gives like 20 psi if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SWOLN
And some good fireballs probably...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
does anyone have a guide for this cause u guys have gotten me interested!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Your asking for more of an Antilag than a 2Step which is capable of being set by adjusting the timing vs. load that you see in a certain rpm range but if you'd ever come into that load at that low of an rpm it would just suck to drive.

I would not see this being necessary whatsoever....it wont make you go faster, it will just make you slip the tires easier.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bggstin
Your asking for more of an Antilag than a 2Step which is capable of being set by adjusting the timing vs. load that you see in a certain rpm range but if you'd ever come into that load at that low of an rpm it would just suck to drive.

I would not see this being necessary whatsoever....it wont make you go faster, it will just make you slip the tires easier.
They are pretty much the same thing. You'll build more boost at the line and you will get better times.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

y not see if tephra would be able, and willing, to make the 2 step ref. another fuel and timing map so that it doesn't mess with normal driving
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaymin
oh and you can't really control the amount of boost it builds since there isn't any load really on the motor. You kind of just get what you get.....

you CAN change your boost for the 2 step... theres more to it than just adjusting load tables... or just setting the RPM higher...

please be advised that you are changing more than just 2 step settings when youre messing with the load to benefit from 2step...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
And a burned turbo too.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by racer135
And a burned turbo too.
Probably , but if I was trying to reach a goal I'd do it. ...and with 30,000 hard miles on the green with that type of 2 step, I'm thinking, meh.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GRNCT9A
They are pretty much the same thing. You'll build more boost at the line and you will get better times.
Antilag is in noway near the same thing as a 2 Step and in a high horsepower AWD Manual car you want a 2 Step...Not antilag.

2-Step cuts either ignition or fuel at a certain RPM to keep them within a certain range. While doing so it may in the process build small amounts of boost, the higher the RPM the 2 Step is at, the more boost it will build which is normally small, less than 5lbs but can be more. Simply because the higher the RPM the more air the engine is pumping. That is a 2-Step..if you're changing anything else then it is no longer and probably falls under the next category.

Anti-Lag varys but is fuel and/or ignition timing based. Drag antilag like what you may do with a flash presents using extra fuel with changes in timing to cause what simply comes to a simulated engine load. This in turn spools the turbo. Antilag is distinct, you can hear when it is being used because it sounds as though the car initially bogs and then builds upwards of 20-30-whatever you want (psi).

Try coming off the line with more than 10 or 20 lbs in a 900+ whp car....all it will do is spin, therefore you go slower...and if it does manage to hook for a second, thats just the second before it then unloads the weight that was keeping the front tires from spinning, and once they start spinning, so do the rear. This has been proven time and time again. Supras and such can get large amounts of boost from antilag before a launch because they're RWD and they don't have to worry about unloading the front tires. Are there exceptions to this, I'm sure that there are as there are exceptions to everything but this should be a general rule because the laymans thinking of just givin her some antilag will make you run faster times is incorrect.

Last edited by Bggstin; Apr 23, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bggstin
Antilag is in noway near the same thing as a 2 Step and in a high horsepower AWD Manual car you want a 2 Step...Not antilag.

2-Step cuts either ignition or fuel at a certain RPM to keep them within a certain range. While doing so it may in the process build small amounts of boost, the higher the RPM the 2 Step is at, the more boost it will build which is normally small, less than 5lbs but can be more. Simply because the higher the RPM the more air the engine is pumping. That is a 2-Step..if you're changing anything else then it is no longer and probably falls under the next category.

Anti-Lag varys but is fuel and/or ignition timing based. Drag antilag like what you may do with a flash presents using extra fuel with changes in timing to cause what simply comes to a simulated engine load. This in turn spools the turbo. Antilag is distinct, you can hear when it is being used because it sounds as though the car initially bogs and then builds upwards of 20-30-whatever you want (psi).

Try coming off the line with more than 10 or 20 lbs in a 900+ whp car....all it will do is spin, therefore you go slower...and if it does manage to hook for a second, thats just the second before it then unloads the weight that was keeping the front tires from spinning, and once they start spinning, so do the rear. This has been proven time and time again. Supras and such can get large amounts of boost from antilag before a launch because they're RWD and they don't have to worry about unloading the front tires. Are there exceptions to this, I'm sure that there are as there are exceptions to everything but this should be a general rule because the laymans thinking of just givin her some antilag will make you run faster times is incorrect.
You make some decent points. I don't think we are talking about high horse power cars here, just daily drivers/weekend racers. 2 step I believe builds around 6-8psi of boost stock. Changing only the load columns in the timing has shown to increase boost off the line, with no ill effect. 14psi with 2 step isn't bad, I've launched my car with 11psi on the street and it was fine. Also, at those load columns, you won't effect anything else, you'll never be at those loads under normal driving or WOT. As for 20-30 psi off the launch, sounds dumb and not needed.

No 2 step and you'll get bad 60'.
Use 2 step and you'll get better 60'. Thats where I'm getting at. With the right tires at a prep'd track, you won't spin with 12psi off the line.

Last edited by GRNCT9A; Apr 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GRNCT9A
With the right tires at a prep'd track, you won't spin with 12psi off the line.
nope but you can snap an axle or blow a transfer case with less

also, changing the timing in those maps would absolutely effect the rest of your driving, especially if you road race or autocross, since letting off the gas at 6k and then getting back in it would cause the car to unload then reload the engine, causing the map to read below the 2-step set rpm/load point then going thru it when hitting the gas again since the load will increase, it will cause knock if not watched closely

Quick Reply: How do you set your launch boost?