Notices
ECU Flash

Parse errors in EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Parse errors in EcuFlash

I am having problems with parse errors in opening a ROM. 966940011 with lots of mods. I use notepad to do all the edits.

the msg I get is

XmlHandlerHelper

"parse error at line 394 column 9
tag mismatch"

I made backup copies before modding the def file 96940011.xml and also evo7base.xml. Those were working just fine

After editing and saving as 96940011.xml and evo7base.xml, I tried opening and got the parse error. double checked all files for errors and did not see any.

So I deleted the 2 modded files and opened the backups.....but same problem
parse error again

Just to check I tried opening a different ROM 88580014 and that works perfectly

Has anyone identified the problem why XmlHandlerHelper is not parsing things properly?

What is a tag mismatch?

Need help here !!!!!

Milburn
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:17 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
it's not that Xml parser is not parsing properly. It's that you or the program you used to edit the xml file made mistake. Tag mismatch in xml definition is that the parser can locate a matching end tag in the xml logical tree document. For example,

<rom>
</rom>

the first line is <rom> mark beginning of an xml node and the </rom> is the end. If the parser traversal the tree and eventually can't find a logical node that match the you got the error.

Copy the backed up xml and carefully edit it again using windows NotePad. Try not to use other software as some of them put in some characters for their own format.

Also, leave no blank line in the beginning of the file.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20
it's not that Xml parser is not parsing properly. It's that you or the program you used to edit the xml file made mistake. Tag mismatch in xml definition is that the parser can locate a matching end tag in the xml logical tree document. For example,

<rom>
</rom>

the first line is <rom> mark beginning of an xml node and the </rom> is the end. If the parser traversal the tree and eventually can't find a logical node that match the you got the error.

Copy the backed up xml and carefully edit it again using windows NotePad. Try not to use other software as some of them put in some characters for their own format.

Also, leave no blank line in the beginning of the file.
The problem was </table> at the bottom of the file after the last 1D table. Last one before the </rom>

so fixed now just frustratin' waste of 3 hours

thanks though :-)

Milburn
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The simple test as to whether your xml is well formated or not is to open it in IE. If IE can open the file without complaining about it being malformed then the tags all line up more or less.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also in order to make it easier to find your mistake, in notepad, go to "view" and check status bar. It will show you which column and line you're at currently. This was a huge discovery to me. previously I was counting lines
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
The simple test as to whether your xml is well formated or not is to open it in IE. If IE can open the file without complaining about it being malformed then the tags all line up more or less.
Funny thing is I did this...and IE choked on it in the middle of the knock tables in the middle of a table name. My knock tables are in the middle of the file so not sure about that. IE6 on XP pro last build.

Any ways the thing that fixed it was taking the very last </table> out, apparently it is not needed for 1D tables at all. There are many instances in all the other rom defs that do not terminate 1D tables, just lists the next table name.

I ended up also putting the WGDCC tables much further in the file so they show up at the beginning of the turbo section now. Easier to see

I also tested the def file and rom on my other laptop running Vista Home Premium with EcuFlash 1.38 ( same as on my loogging laptop ) and it worked right off the bat there.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope other people that have this problem find this series of posts to fix the issue. Sticky maybe ?