Notices
ECU Flash

ACD Pump: all 3 acd lights on - fyi

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ACD Pump: all 3 acd lights on - fyi

This thread will probably be moved to a different subforum, but since I always post here, I wanted to make the info available to you guys just as a heads up.

A couple weeks ago all 3 of my ACD lights lit up and they come on about 30 seconds of driving after starting the car. It seems as if on colder days, the lights wouldn't light up, but once the ambient temps are above about 60F or so, the lights would light up.

I wanted to use EvoScan to pull the code, but upon researching the various threads about the different cable for communicating with the ACD/AYC ecu, it looks like no one has been able to successfully (or at least completely) communicate with that ECU.

So, anyway, since my 05 only has about 33k miles on it, I knew it would still be under warranty. So, over the weekend I took my Evo to the Mitsu dealer closest to me. They scanned the ACD ECU and pulled the code and it turns out that the ACD pump went bad/is going bad and needs to be replaced.

The tech/tech manager I talked to stated that Mitsu has seen some failures with these pumps are they are either designing a new pump or testing a new pump or something similar to that. So, the tech told me they have to get the shipment of this new pump from Mitsu and they will replace it under warranty.

I've seen a couple of other threads on the forum of the '3 acd lights', which can actually be like 30 different reasons, from abs sensors to steering angle sensors, etc, etc, (some of the codes are in the FSM), but the threads I found didn't really have much info in them. So, I just wanted to throw out this info about the potentially bad stock acd pump.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All 3 of my lights lit on my way to the outerbanks - after I shut the car off and restarted the lights went back to normal and haven't been on since......I will be heading to my local dealer when i get back next week to get the acd ecu scanned for any codes.

Thanks for the post
Old May 19, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes it isn't the pump but the pressure switch. Lots more info on MLR.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had all 3 lights on for about 25k. My car is sitting at 81k and my warranty is until 100k, The problem being I have full bolt-ons. Now I know this is a dealer specific question but do you think I should just bring her in and see what happens?
Old May 19, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
All 3 of my lights lit on my way to the outerbanks - after I shut the car off and restarted the lights went back to normal and haven't been on since......I will be heading to my local dealer when i get back next week to get the acd ecu scanned for any codes.

Thanks for the post
mine did the same thing the other day trav. When i started it back up it was fine.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
Ive had all 3 lights on for about 25k. My car is sitting at 81k and my warranty is until 100k, The problem being I have full bolt-ons. Now I know this is a dealer specific question but do you think I should just bring her in and see what happens?
Worth a shot. I have cams, open filter, synapse DV, GM AIT in the UICP, gauges/ebc inside the car, etc...they saw all of them, didn't say anything.

After all, if there is a faulty pump, what does that have to do with your bolt on mods? Take her in and maybe get it fixed under warranty.

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 19, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
mine did the same thing the other day trav. When i started it back up it was fine.
Yep, the tests run after each start. The code is saved in the ACD ECU until the conditions are met again that caused the code in the first place and then the code is erased.

Mine was OK some days and not OK others. It seemed to be dependent on ambient temps. The colder days, it was fine, the warmer days it wasn't. Since it is warmer now, the last week straight maybe, I get the 3 lights coming on at just about the same exact place on the road from my house (about a block away), so it's either based on time or distance driven (at least for my issue of the bad pump).

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 19, 2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

I too have all 3 lights on and I noticed that my 60amp fuse was blown on my "fused link" connector that is attatched to the positive battery cable. I bought a new one from Mitsu for $18 and will be putting it in to see if that gets rid of the 3 lights as that fuse is directly related to the ACD
Old May 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Update on my situation:

Brought the car in to check out the ACD lights, sure enough the pump is blown and apparently has taken my transfer case with it?

I couldnt believe it, I'm at 81k so the transfer case is under warranty BUT, and thats a huge but, the pump is not under warranty. Now get this.

They want 3000 to install the new TC and install the new pump. They wont let me supply them a pump so Im pretty much screwed. The worst part is I feel like the lights turned on before 60k and If I brought her in earlier I would have a brand new TC and new pump for free!! The tech was such a dick to (Bell Mitsubishi Rahway, You fat bastard) he wrote down all my modifications down to my aftermarket rotors!
Old May 20, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I've seen a couple of other threads on the forum of the '3 acd lights', which can actually be like 30 different reasons, from abs sensors to steering angle sensors, etc, etc, (some of the codes are in the FSM), but the threads I found didn't really have much info in them. So, I just wanted to throw out this info about the potentially bad stock acd pump.

And one of those threads would be mine. Mine was a severed wire running to one of the front ABS sensors that somehow Mitsu managed to screw up when changing rotors. And the severed wire was under the hood too, go figure.

The Factory Service Manual actually has quite the procedure to follow when diagnosis this issue. It was actually kind of easy to follow too.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

op..i sent you a pm. look for a used pump on this site and validate that your tc is actually shot
Old May 20, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman

Thanks for the post
I've had this happen about 3 times in the year of owning my car. It doesn't seem to affect the function of ACD, and it has always gone away after a restart.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
Update on my situation:

Brought the car in to check out the ACD lights, sure enough the pump is blown and apparently has taken my transfer case with it?

I couldnt believe it, I'm at 81k so the transfer case is under warranty BUT, and thats a huge but, the pump is not under warranty. Now get this.

They want 3000 to install the new TC and install the new pump. They wont let me supply them a pump so Im pretty much screwed. The worst part is I feel like the lights turned on before 60k and If I brought her in earlier I would have a brand new TC and new pump for free!! The tech was such a dick to (Bell Mitsubishi Rahway, You fat bastard) he wrote down all my modifications down to my aftermarket rotors!
gotta pay to play my friend.

I thought the warranty expired at 60k anyways?
Old May 28, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to update the thread. I had the pump replaced under warranty and all is well again.

For the archives, the part # for the new pump they put in is:

MN168621 - hydraulic unit

I looked up the MSRP on this and it is $2,148.33! I would have never guessed it to be that expensive.

Just another reason for anyone with all 3 acd lights on and under warranty to go get it checked out asap.

BTW, the code that my ACD was throwing was code 82. The codes are in the FSM along with a way to read them without the MUT III scan tool (from memory, I believe it is grounding pin 1 on the OBDII connector and counting the acd lights flashing sequence).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:42 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Yep, the tests run after each start. The code is saved in the ACD ECU until the conditions are met again that caused the code in the first place and then the code is erased.

Mine was OK some days and not OK others. It seemed to be dependent on ambient temps. The colder days, it was fine, the warmer days it wasn't. Since it is warmer now, the last week straight maybe, I get the 3 lights coming on at just about the same exact place on the road from my house (about a block away), so it's either based on time or distance driven (at least for my issue of the bad pump).
yeah its the same for me. humid hot days i;ll get the acd lights on. at night when its cold it doesnt come on. if u find the problem lemme know. ill do the same for you

Quick Reply: ACD Pump: all 3 acd lights on - fyi