Notices
ECU Flash

Training Videos: How to tune an Evo with EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidtonic
I don't think you understand the issue. Linux doesn't run windows programs (natively) and the converters are windows programs. The ones for linux would work just fine if I had the windows codecs in the first place. Those converters also face the same legal problems when trying to convert windows codecs. This doesn't need to be a tech support topic. I was just asking if someone with windows who can legally decode these wouldn't mind converting them.

If you still don't understand the legal issue, go check out why DVD playback on Linux is still illegal without commercial software.
or you could join the rest of world and get a windows operating system..
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Obvious troll is obvious. Try reading that as:

"or you could join the rest of the world and get a Toyota Corolla.."

(Something tells me this conversation is going to end badly.)
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logic
Assuming he's using Debian or Ubuntu, you mean?
Code:
# apt-get
-bash: apt-get: command not found
(The rest of the Linux world uses other package formats.)

I assume he is aware of how to technically make this work; any modern player (totem, mplayer, vlc) can play them, assuming you're willing to go out of your way to install codecs to support them. I suspect he is trying to raise awareness of the patent issues around the format (and there are serious issues around the distribution of those codecs; not with use, per se, but with redistribution).

(I happen to agree with that position, but also think that a forum full of car geeks is probably the wrong place to fight that battle. I'm pretty pragmatic about these things; others are more like Richard Stallman. To each their own. )
*This* You nailed it. (And I happen to be running Debian too! Slackware and Debian for me.)

I started without going in to detail, and simply wanted someone to provide a free unencumbered format.

I only use Windows rarely at work, I really don't mean to sound snobby or anything. Linux rocks and I'm trying to completely avoid anything that could get my software writing business in trouble. Installing dvd playing software or codecs I don't properly own licenses for could really cause a guy in my position grief. Various NDAs for development allow for random audits of my workspace, including non work personal computers.

Again, I'm sorry to even mention this all here, but seriously can we get a non proprietary format? Not everyone can click "Accept" when the license says "don't press accept in the USA". I know the secret police aren't going to come get you. I clicked it too before my business got off the ground.

Last edited by acidtonic; Feb 15, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im also having trouble viewing (on a mac of course). even tried VLC and i can get sound but no picture. does anyone know what codec/add onn i need for either quicktime or VLC to see the video?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll look into converting these tonight. I'm also considering doing a full YouTube video series of tuning tips.

As soon as the weather gets better I'll probably spend my weekends working on them, if people are interested
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

*This* You nailed it. (And I happen to be running Debian too! Slackware and Debian for me.)

I started without going in to detail, and simply wanted someone to provide a free unencumbered format.

I only use Windows rarely at work, I really don't mean to sound snobby or anything. Linux rocks and I'm trying to completely avoid anything that could get my software writing business in trouble. Installing dvd playing software or codecs I don't properly own licenses for could really cause a guy in my position grief. Various NDAs for development allow for random audits of my workspace, including non work personal computers.

Again, I'm sorry to even mention this all here, but seriously can we get a non proprietary format? Not everyone can click "Accept" when the license says "don't press accept in the USA". I know the secret police aren't going to come get you. I clicked it too before my business got off the ground.

Linux is awesome. I also understand that using a more open video standard would be a great idea, however, life isn't always fair. If you have so many NDA's preventing you from doing things, maybe you should consider purchasing a copy of Windows and running it in a VM.

Also, you could always just install Ubuntu on another machine (or in a VM, or VirtualBox in your case) and just accept the EULA and watch it...then delete the file or use Dariks Boot and Nuke to wipe the hard disk clean. Who would know? Or TrueCrypt up and create a hidden volume, for personal things, it would be next to impossible to tell.

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Feb 15, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good stuff...don't think I have seen these before...nice job recompile...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
im also having trouble viewing (on a mac of course). even tried VLC and i can get sound but no picture. does anyone know what codec/add onn i need for either quicktime or VLC to see the video?
Yea I tried getting VLC to work more than the other programs like mplayer, gstreamer, etc.. Only sound works.

I just don't have the time to fiddle with it further. Same for installing windows in a vm.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome!!! now i can do the first few tunes then have ER do the major ones . Let us know if u do make the youtube tuning tips and how to access them! THNX for these vids
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:22 AM

[off topic]
I've been running Linux in desktop and server environments since 1996. I gave up long ago trying to run it as my primary desktop operating system. It's great if all you need to do is browse the web and do simple office type things but you constantly run into issues with media and its only going to get worse. It requires true dedication to run it as your primary desktop and you find out quickly that you run into more problems than its worth (unless you're super geeky and have a lot of time). That being said I use windows 7 on my desktop and it's the best windows operating system I've ever used.
[/off topic]

Now to keep it on topic I downloaded the videos and they are great! I can't wait until I have some free time to go through these in detail. I've tuned a lot of speed density systems but OEM based MAF systems are still baffling.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:50 AM

Recompile, great job on the vids.

I appreciate all the hard work you put into them as I am new to the tunning world and they have taught me a lot so thank you.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i found the issue with not playing on a mac.

they are made with some proprietary windows media player 9 codec called mss2. a mac can in no way play it and even better cant even convert it with any program.

if somebody with windows could convert them to like mpg or something not using windows media player that would be AWESOME.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Or upload them to youtube?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

This is great! Thank you for taking the time to make these.
This should be a sticky..
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Youtube series would be good. Like to see how others tune.

Quick Reply: Training Videos: How to tune an Evo with EcuFlash