Notices
ECU Flash

Training Videos: How to tune an Evo with EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
awesome!!!!!!!! Why hasnt this been stickied yet?
+2
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the vids, nice!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Ive had to watch the videos over and over again but finally starting to understand since i'm not that good with computers but a good mechanic. Ido all my own work to my car and want to start tunning. THANKS helped alot. BTW recompile i have evoscan and ecuflash but i cant reed the rom file my tunner flashed in my ecu. Any ideas would help thanks, again i'm not that computer savy.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for your time and effort. Good stuff
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to do this for us :] You rock man!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by recompile
Just started recording these for the hell of it. They aren't polished, they are just unscripted, off the cuff brain dumps.

If there's a significant interest in them, I'll re-record them and put in some nice PowerPoint slides and try to polish them up a bit.

Feel free to correct any mistakes or oversights too, I'm sure I screwed some things up. Off the top of my head, I know I shouldn't have referred to "Load" as "Airflow", but hey, nobody's perfect the first time

They are too big for YouTube

Part 1 (right click, Save As)

Part 2 (right click, Save As)

Part 3 (right click, Save As)

Part 4 (right click, Save As)

Part 5 (right click, Save As)

Part 6 (right click, Save As)
Recompile -- thanks so much for posting these videos. Most definitely a help in the tuning world for new people. This may or may not be related to your post here but I noticed in your videos that you were using Windows 7. Is that the same computer you are using to tune your car? I am having great difficulty getting Windows 7 to recognize the Tactrix cable. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kronik
Recompile -- thanks so much for posting these videos. Most definitely a help in the tuning world for new people. This may or may not be related to your post here but I noticed in your videos that you were using Windows 7. Is that the same computer you are using to tune your car? I am having great difficulty getting Windows 7 to recognize the Tactrix cable. Any suggestions?
He is not using windows, its actually looks like vista. I also have windows 7 but have not tried anything yet as because my car is down at the moment. I did make a thread on windows 7 but it wont really answer your question as to why the tactrix cable is not being recognized by Windows 7.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ndows-7-a.html
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I'm using Windows 7 x64

I haven't had any problems with the Tactrix cable, EcuFlash, or EvoScan. If you're having trouble, I would recommend uninstalling EcuFlash, downloading the latest version to the desktop, then right click and "Run As Administrator".
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't had any problems with the Tactrix cable, EcuFlash, or EvoScan. If you're having trouble, I would recommend uninstalling EcuFlash, downloading the latest version to the desktop, then right click and "Run As Administrator".
I will give that a shot -- it's odd. I have problems with Windows 7 and my USB ports for some other applications too. Not sure what the problem is but after watching your videos i'm really eager to get back out there and try tuning again! I'd hate to have to load XP again... ugh.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again to Recompile for the training videos. They are awesome

Recompile's method ensures you get the latest drivers. However, sometimes a tuner will want to stick with the same version ECUflash.

When I was at English getting my GSC S1 cams installed, Aaron told me he was having trouble with his computer recognizing a tatrix cable. He uses an older
version of ECUflash. Since he wasn't using the latest version, he didn't have the latest drivers. The tatrix EVOX cable would not install properly. I uninstalled his cable via device manager and installed the latest drivers available from OpenECU.org

They are located here http://openecu.org/downloads/op20pt3...502598_win.exe

Note: You don't need to download these if you are running the latest version of ECU Flash.

Last edited by Tahoe55; Jul 26, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe55
Thanks again to Recompile for the training videos. They are awesome

Recompile's method ensures you get the latest drivers. However, sometimes a tuner will want to stick with the same version ECUflash.

When I was at English getting my GSC S1 cams installed, Aaron told me he was having trouble with his computer recognizing a tatrix cable. He uses an older
version of ECUflash. Since he wasn't using the latest version, he didn't have the latest drivers. The tatrix EVOX cable would not install properly. I uninstalled his cable via device manager and installed the latest drivers available from OpenECU.org

They are located here http://openecu.org/downloads/op20pt3...502598_win.exe

Note: You don't need to download these if you are running the latest version of ECU Flash.
Tahoe, thanks for the drivers. I will try them soon as I get my car back Question though -- noticed you are running 25 lbs of boost on an Evo 8? Stock turbo and no head studs?? How's that holding up?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:03 PM

Just downloaded all the videos hopefully this will give me a good start on how to tune.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kronik
Tahoe, thanks for the drivers. I will try them soon as I get my car back Question though -- noticed you are running 25 lbs of boost on an Evo 8? Stock turbo and no head studs?? How's that holding up?
So far all signs are good, I'm using Johnbradley as my canary in the coal mine on that! He's running more boost and making more torque than I am. He's estimated that stock headbolts are safe to about 400lb/ft of torque with proper tune/timing.

I definitely won't add any more power to this setup. My plan is to build in more strength when I add the FP-Red this winter.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well the drivers solved my problem with ecu flash and evoscan -- now just need to get my serial to usb cable to work for the lc1. heh. Thanks again for the help Tahoe!

That's good to hear you haven't needed head studs -- my current map after adding cams is extremely rich and low on the boost end (max 21 lbs). I was considering bring it up a bit since I do have 93 octane. Back to watching the videos again
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

WOW is about all I can say bravo man thats alot of info and its helping me so much and I am only through the first 2 parts. This is going to exponentially help me when I start to tune after throwing my turbo kit on thank you.

Quick Reply: Training Videos: How to tune an Evo with EcuFlash