Notices
ECU Flash

ISCV control system disassembly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Great stuff Domyz. My cold idle is getting decent now too, I just have a weird issue where, after the engine is warmed up, turning the AC on will sometimes cause idle steps to shoot up to 64 and the idle goes up to about 2k rpm. I thought I had fixed it by adjusting the ISCV demand vs throttle - AC ON, but it did it again yesterday. Will keep messing with it.
I finally left the Demand% tables alone. What I played with is main demand and initial steps position. Yours may be harder to tune because of cams.
What looks your AC initial step position? (not sure the name of this table on a IX)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Here are my ISCV tables (click to enlarge):

Regarding the AC issue: I initially noticed in my log that when I turned on AC while idling the demand went up by ~18%:

So I checked the AC OFF and AC ON tables to see where the biggest difference was. I found it in the TPS Adder, where the value at 13% TPS for AC OFF was 2.7 and for AC ON was 14.9. I brought that down to 7.8 to see how things would change, but demand went up to the same 29.x went I tried AC again.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Here are my ISCV tables (click to enlarge):

Regarding the AC issue: I initially noticed in my log that when I turned on AC while idling the demand went up by ~18%:

So I checked the AC OFF and AC ON tables to see where the biggest difference was. I found it in the TPS Adder, where the value at 13% TPS for AC OFF was 2.7 and for AC ON was 14.9. I brought that down to 7.8 to see how things would change, but demand went up to the same 29.x went I tried AC again.
First I don't know if you are aware of the three upper right tables and are related to initial steps position and not demand%. It would make things easier to tune, giving the system a baseline before adding the demand%. You cold values shouldn't be all the same, they should follow a curve. Maybe this is drifting your demand trims positive.

Also there should be more difference between intitial steps AC off and AC on. It should be closer than the stock steps difference. Again maybe this is drifting your demand% trims.

Finally I think you should start over from stock values and only tweak the initial steps position + stepper lookup.

Here are my current settings, I'm near a perfect idle in all situations (demand% tables are stock):
Name:  currentiscv.png
Views: 0
Size:  220.7 KB
Edit: these tables are still on testing, and are not on target yet.
Edit 2: I found that it's best to leave the stepper table linear, so for a demand% value, all the steps will be the same. Non linear idle will be corrected by changing initial steps.

Last edited by domyz; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

^^ My new stepper lookup table looks like that because I found that it needs more steps from demand% on cold temps than on warmed up engine.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I just noticed the ISCV trim formulas for evoscan in the OP. I'll log those and see what's what.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So is this correct?

"Desired ISCV Initial Step Position" + "% Demand" = target ISC Step position

"% Demand" is looked up in the IDLE STEEPER TABLE

"ISCV Demand trims" add or subtract a percentage to maintain the target idle.

What I am not sure of is where the "ISCV Demand Trim" value is calculated from, especially when its negative. Does it reference the IDLE STEPPER TABLE and use it as the +/- lookup?

What i mean is... is (-)10% removing the same ISC steps from the IDLE STEPPER TABLE as (+)10% would add?

-Jamie

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
So is this correct?

"Desired ISCV Initial Step Position" + "% Demand" = target ISC Step position

"% Demand" is looked up in the IDLE STEEPER TABLE

"ISCV Demand trims" add or subtract a percentage to maintain the target idle.

What I am not sure of is where the "ISCV Demand Trim" value is calculated from, especially when its negative. Does it reference the IDLE STEPPER TABLE and use it as the +/- lookup?

What i mean is... is (-)10% removing the same ISC steps from the IDLE STEPPER TABLE as (+)10% would add?

-Jamie
Top part seems right. It's all guessing here as we test things but nobody ended up with an official conclusion.
About the trims, it will need more field testing. I'd guess that negative or positive trims would adjust the %demand on the Y axis, so the stepper lookup value would be changed... So in your words, no 10% negative wouldn't be the same as 10% positive because the lookup table isn't linear.

I'm still trying to confirm things.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm hoping to dig a bit deeper into it this week. My thinking is that the ISCV DEMAND TRIM is what is added or subtracted from the DEMAND% but I need to do some logging to be certain how they all work together. With MrFred stating a maximum of +/-16% of adjustment for ISCV DEMAND TRIM, in my IDLE STEPPER TABLE, 16% is roughly 40 steps so that seems like it could be plenty of range for trimming. The first 16% on the Y-axis is also linear and the steepest slope as well.

-Jamie

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Another question. Does anyone know if the ISCV DEMAND TRIM is trimming the ISC Steps under all conditions or only at operating temp idle?

-Jamie
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Another question. Does anyone know if the ISCV DEMAND TRIM is trimming the ISC Steps under all conditions or only at operating temp idle?

-Jamie
I'm working on this right now (temps near 0F here tonight) and I see the trims working to reach target idle on all coolant temp conditions. Proof is the Target idle RPM table is coolant temp dependant.
I'm stuck for now and I'm about to throw my old laptop into garbage. Christmas will be a new laptop for me I think hahaha!

Last edited by domyz; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

My startup is currently just under target idle, the trims keeps raising to raise demand%, but the maxed out stepper lookup won't go enough high. So steps won't move. I need to max the lookup table higher than what I have.
The stock lookup table had WAY too much effect on steps for high demand%.
I'll update.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor

What is your initial ISCV step in the idle table and what are you logging for 'ISC steps', Demand%' and 'ISCV Demand trim' when the car is idling at operating temp with all accessories off?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

What is your initial ISCV step in the idle table and what are you logging for 'ISC steps', Demand%' and 'ISCV Demand trim' when the car is idling at operating temp with all accessories off?
Full operating temp:
950rpm
48 steps
~18% Demand
5,8% Trims
Last one don't seem to work, I log MUT 08 but it doesn't change. Maybe it's the wrong adress for 94170715. The way I guess trims for now is that I look at the demand% changing when it's off the target idle.

Last edited by domyz; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
Former Sponsor

So it's showing 48 steps in evoscan or in your Desired ISCV idle table?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

So it's showing 48 steps in evoscan or in your Desired ISCV idle table?
48 steps logged. In fact my demand is 18% not 27% (I mixed things in my head). The logged steps aren't related to initial steps.

Quick Reply: ISCV control system disassembly