Notices
ECU Flash

Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
You can use the stock OBD1 plug but you just need to make sure that the one wire used for reflashing is in the correct pin location in the OBD1 port. Here is a link to my local forum where I posted some pics of how to do the OBD1 and OBD2 ports already:

http://www.newengdsm.org/forums/view...r=asc&start=60

Only one wire is used for the reflashing, the others are added to the cable to support the plug so the single wire doesn't get pulled out as easy. Thats what the zipties and heatshrink are hiding, the 2 wires that are only 2" long. The diagram is pretty much done, I'm just trying to source some of the AC wires between the 2 ECU's since I don't have AC in my car.
Okay cool, that makes sense about the extra wires for support. Thanks for that clarification because it definitely had me scratching my head.

I followed the link and it wants me to log in, so I registered. Hopefully you're admin won't block me because I'm in Virginia.

Once my account is active I'll check out those pics. Thanks again!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, here are some pics of the items required to do the switch. I think I will create a new thread later with a step-by-step procedure but at least i can get the pics out there for you guys for now. I'm still working on the wiring diagram too, just making sure I can label as many wires as I can find info about. The wires labeled on the OBD ports are the ONLY wires required for reflashing and FULL datalogging, none of the others are necessary.

EVO 8 ECU ($50-$150, I see most going for an average of $120 shipped)

2G Turbo DSM or Evo8 ECU harness plugs with a few inches of wire still attached($10-$30...best to find a 2G in a junk yard and snip them off yourself)

OBD-II data port with a few inches of wire still attached(free-$15, can be taken from any OBD-II vehicle basically)

OBD-I data port with a few inches of wire still attached(free-$15, can use the original 1G port or can be found at junkyards)

Evo8 knock sensor Mitsu part #MR578117 ($10-$45 used, around $66 new LINK HERE)

Tactrix 1.3U or 1.3M reflashing/data-logging cable ($50-$100 used, $135 new sold by Evoscan)

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Aug 21, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

I have all the photos and info to do the swap in to a 97/98/99 2g. I'm slowly working on putting it together for those interested. I just need school to start back up so I have time.

If someone would like to e-mail me the necessary spark plug/injector/cas changes (photos are a plus) that need to be made to swap the evo ecu into a 95/96, I'll add that too with credit to you.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Well, here are some pics of the items required to do the switch. I think I will create a new thread later with a step-by-step procedure but at least i can get the pics out there for you guys for now. I'm still working on the wiring diagram too, just making sure I can label as many wires as I can find info about. The wires labeled on the OBD ports are the ONLY wires required for reflashing and FULL datalogging, none of the others are necessary.

EVO 8 ECU ($50-$150, I see most going for an average of $120 shipped)

2G Turbo DSM or Evo8 ECU harness plugs with a few inches of wire still attached($10-$30...best to find a 2G in a junk yard and snip them off yourself)

OBD-II data port with a few inches of wire still attached(free-$15, can be taken from any OBD-II vehicle basically)

OBD-I data port with a few inches of wire still attached(free-$15, can use the original 1G port or can be found at junkyards)

Evo8 knock sensor ($20-$75 used, around $150 new I think)

Tactrix 1.3U or 1.3M reflashing/data-logging cable ($50-$100 used, $135 new sold by Evoscan)

Awesome man. Thanks a lot.

I got the cable ordered. Now I just need to go get some pigtails.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Jack, do you know what the differences are in the progression from a 1g knock sensor to an evo8/9 ks?

It appears that just switching to an evo8 ks on a 2g doesn't fix phantom knock so we need to adjust the knock multipliers with either sensor to about the same level. I know the 1g ks is more different than the 2g ks but I was curious if anyone could shed some more light on the issue.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I do not know if the KS is truly different from the Evo8 and a 2G although it does have a different Mitsubishi part #. I haven't compared the two but that could from something as simple as a different connector plug on the cable for all I know. The 1G knock sensor has been proven to be diferent in characteristics pertaining to frequency range and sensativity though. I'll be honest.....its the ONE sensor you don't want to take a chance with.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

Evo8 knock sensor ($20-$75 used, around $150 new I think)

03-06 Evo 8/9 knock sensor is $68 new. It is actually cheaper than a 1g sensor. The 2g knock sensor looks similar but has a different length wire. The evo 8/9 wire is a nice length. Also the 2g rom that I looked at had different knock sensor sensitivity values. I should mention that I have my knock light set to 3 low and 6 high. I never see it blink and looking at the logs I get the sparadoic 1 count when driving around, nothing to worry about. I'm running stock knock sensor settings in the rom. If you guys are getting "phantom knock" check your car first IMO. My car is runnin well on the evo 8 ecu and has allready seen about 30 pulls above 20psi on the 14b. Everything is better than it has ever been on the 1g ecu setup. Cruising, power, response.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
03-06 Evo 8/9 knock sensor is $68 new. It is actually cheaper than a 1g sensor. The 2g knock sensor looks similar but has a different length wire. The evo 8/9 wire is a nice length. Also the 2g rom that I looked at had different knock sensor sensitivity values. I should mention that I have my knock light set to 3 low and 6 high. I never see it blink and looking at the logs I get the sparadoic 1 count when driving around, nothing to worry about. I'm running stock knock sensor settings in the rom. If you guys are getting "phantom knock" check your car first IMO. My car is runnin well on the evo 8 ecu and has allready seen about 30 pulls above 20psi on the 14b. Everything is better than it has ever been on the 1g ecu setup. Cruising, power, response.
Hey, where are you sourcing the sensor for $68? The best price I've found is about $80.

I'm still waiting for my tuning cable to arrive, and for the weather to let up so I can take a trip to the boneyard for an ecu harness pigtail.

Also, are you guys hacking the 1g computer in order to have something to plug in to the factory 1g harness or is there some other alternative? I don't really want to cut off the factory harness' 1g connector, nor do I want to tap every single wire.

Last edited by Seijuro; Aug 21, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/sh...&siteid=214331

Evo 8 Knock sensor part# MR578117

They sell it for $66 actually!

Spec's: Tighten to 17 ft. lbs. Do not use teflon tape on threads.

I just fab'd up a wastegate dump tube today (the mirage didn't come with one on it and the external WG blew directly into the radiator! WTF?) and I will be installing my Evo8 knock sensor in a few minutes so I can finally do WOT tuning! I can't wait. Now all I need is a 5 point harness so I can tech-in at the track and I can make some passes soon. Previous owner ran an 11.55 on c16 so we'll see how she does on pump gas and one thorough tune

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Aug 21, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Is it worth getting the knock sensor from an evo to put on a 2g when switching to the evo8 ecu. I have now, a evo8 ecu, gm map 3bar sensor, gm iat, evo injectors, 190 fuel pump, and maybe an evo knock sensor. Anything else i should get to get my car running well on a 20g turbo?

James
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

I would make sure the knock sensor was the FIRST thing I'd want to upgrade before WOT tuning. Thats not the area you want to risk any inaccuracies.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Almost no one using the evo8 ecu in a 2g has switched knock sensors. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I see Jack's argument and I even agree with it but if you have to deafen the evo sensor just as much as the 2g sensor then it doesn't matter. Basically the knock sensor is too sensitive in the lower ranges on a 2g no matter what sensor you use then at higher load the 2g sensor seems perfectly happy but my testing isn't perfect just a bunch of playing around. When we first started messing around with it we never even knew that this was a problem. Later we were very concerned but I thought it was real knock to start with. Using the knock multiplier tables and being conservative has led me to be fairly confident in my setup.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ill replace it anyway since its the stock one and been on there for 150xxx miles.

James
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

any new news on the success of this?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
News? At least two people (JoT and 0xDEAD) have posted in this thread saying they're using it, today.

Assuming I can find a decent deal on a VIII ECU, I may be doing this swap over the winter on my wife's toy. I have the EGR solenoid off the Evo sitting here collecting dust along with an old AEM wideband; I'd just need a MAP sensor (I've been thinking about swapping a 4-bar onto the Evo anyway, so I could pass the JDM down to the 1g), a knock sensor, and a few round tuits.

I'll mirror Seijuro's question; 0xDEAD, I seem to recall that you'd found sources for at least the male 2g/Evo plugs. Did you happen to find female 1g-compatible plugs in your searching, by any chance? (ie. just assemble an adapter harness, rather than cut/solder every wire.)

Quick Reply: Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!