Notices
ECU Flash

stock mas limit finally found?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,

I've got a 5 bar kavlico and a 4 inch intake you're more than welcome to test with if you wanna come down for a date with the LS1 boys here in bham

btw, I got my 5 bar from roadraceengineering along with their adapter to take the place of the MAP sensor on the intake manifold.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks but I'd need much more time with it to set everything up and tune than that short bama trip would allow.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aye, just figured i'd throw it out there.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
interesting, I'm not too hung up on my scaling staying the same, I can adjust my timing/fuel maps as needed if it's off.

where are people getting the 5 bar kalvico sensor and cost?

can you elaborate on the iat sensor details?

I'm not interested in stock ecu controlled boost right now, maybe later.

my email is chris@mellontuning.com if you want to shoot that ROM over. another obstacle will be getting away from my beloved 96940011 ROM, I bet it's not supported.
I got mine personally from zeitronix and had zeitronix also make an adapter so i could just plug in the stock mdp sensor and use the aem adapter to replace the mdp with the kalvico. I got the adapter from a local vendor here and then installed the sensor using the patched supplied by MrFred and worked out some settings for it. I believe the sensor was about 130 bucks, adapter was another 30 for the wiring, and the adapter to convert it to stock mdp location was around 20 bucks if i remember everything right here.

The IAT tempt sensor is litterally your off the self GM open element sensor which can be bought pretty much anywhere. I got the sensor and bung from diyautotune.com if i can remember right. Wired it into the pin on the ecu which required me to basically run a wire to the sensor from the ecu and used the intake as the ground. My sensor is welded right into buschur's upper intercooler pipe.

Np on the ecu controlled boost I don't have it implemented anyways. I'd say i'm really close to cracking the low load issues i'm having where the tune kinda flops into lean and rich, mind you at loads under 30kPa which is like downhill light gas. If you want to wait a couple days i think i can iron it out to near perfection. Or I could just send you the tune as it is right now.

The rom is tephra 5.10 the 97140015 romid so yeah you would be losing your rom .
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

no rush on the ROM since I don't have the parts yet, I'm still hell bent on going 9's on the stock mas so I'm not quite ready for SD but I'm interested. I sure would like to get the full potential out of this turbo before I move on to a bigger one and sheet metal intake
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I didn't think SD was ready for this kind of boost
I have already run cars out to 40psi on the 4bar and its fine. Before this I had my car on a MAFT Pro and 5 bar and it drive fine, so Stock ECU and a 5 bar should be that much better since we cut out the piggyback.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

no rush on the ROM since I don't have the parts yet, I'm still hell bent on going 9's on the stock mas so I'm not quite ready for SD but I'm interested. I sure would like to get the full potential out of this turbo before I move on to a bigger one and sheet metal intake
Understood I'll work on the around town drivability of this rom and shoot you an email where you can contact me. I don't think i'll need more than a couple days to figure out the ins and outs of these trailing edges.

I'll make sure to save a rom where the ecu boost isn't implement or at least tuned up to the point of being disabled.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:07 PM
Account Disabled

cool, the maf-t solution is tempting because I know I can get it up and running right away for some quick results. However, I do think SD would be the best solution in the long run, it'll just take a little more homework to get it going properly.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Understood I'll work on the around town drivability of this rom and shoot you an email where you can contact me. I don't think i'll need more than a couple days to figure out the ins and outs of these trailing edges.

I'll make sure to save a rom where the ecu boost isn't implement or at least tuned up to the point of being disabled.
ecu boost is fine, the solenoid doesn't' have any hoses going to it
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

ecu boost is fine, the solenoid doesn't' have any hoses going to it
Right but i believe MrFred's implementation takes over the "desired boost" table which would mean boost cut if its set too low. Really easy to disable though .

FYI:
Using a 3 port boost control solenoid no funky boost pills here
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Right but i believe MrFred's implementation takes over the "desired boost" table which would mean boost cut if its set too low. Really easy to disable though .
ah ok, I'm sure the car will remind me to fix that if I hit a brick wall at 25psi lol
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

ah ok, I'm sure the car will remind me to fix that if I hit a brick wall at 25psi lol
god i know that feeling too well first time i thought i broke the poor girl
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
... However, I do think SD would be the best solution in the long run, it'll just take a little more homework to get it going properly.
Tuning SD is piece of cake how it's currently implemented. Don't shy away from it just because of that. We can help you out if need be.

In preparation, get a log of cruising around town as long as possible with boosting, etc...try to hit as many cells as possible. Make sure you are logging boost pressure (really absolute pressure, so let us know the baro if the log is gauge pressure) and baro+temp compensated load.

I can tell you your preliminary VE settings based off of that log.

Eric
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mellon.....What did you do to the MAF tune wise when you removed the screen??? I would imagine that it caused all kinds of drivability issues? How did you go around these problems.

I ask because for those of us getting closer to 30psi boost...I would hate to hose up my turbo because of the screen getting sucked in.

Sorry this was off topic....well, it's kind of related.

Thanks.

Paul
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:28 PM
Account Disabled

nothing major it just lowered the load a little.

Quick Reply: stock mas limit finally found?