Notices
ECU Flash

stock mas limit finally found?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
There's a pretty exhaustive thread about this. Long story short: generally not worth it.
I cant help but wonder, maybe its not worth it for the average guy, but some one that is likely at the choke point and doesn't want to go SD.... it might be worth it.

Thanks for the Info, Ill look for that thread!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not toss in a Z06 MAF? They are 3.5 Inches in Diameter and can easilly flow over 1000WHP.

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
some of you may have been following my progress, I've recently dyno'd the car at 700awhp on a dynojet and with increases in boost from 38psi to 45psi, only lower rpm torque increases a little, not the high rpm horsepower, a sign that there is a choke point. Increasing timing also does not make a significant improvement.

I'm interested in going with SD or a MAF-T to answer the question once and for all, how much horsepower can you make on the stock MAS.

If someone has a MAF-T intake setup I could borrow I'd be willing to spend some time dialing the tune back in and seeing if it helps reduce the restriction enough to increase the horsepower. I figure that's the quickest way to get the answer and to see if SD experimentation on the stock ECU is worthwhile for a car at this level.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a FullThrottle MAF-T setup with the GM MAF, when I lived in SE texas with the mods in my sig I got 525HP 486TQ on the stock block, stock head, stock turbo 98pump 100% meth 28 PSI ( yes I know I am over running the stock turbo ) on a dynapack.

When I lived there in the summer it was 105 deg 100% humidity heat index 115 deg / winter 30-40 deg rare snow a lot of ice elevation 20 feet below sea level. So I had 2 setups on my ECU map and MAF translator one winter and one summer.

In CA on 91oct I am getting 487HP 442TQ same setup new conditions. 20-60% humidity 95 deg summer and 60 deg winter. I now have one ecu and translator map for all seasons but I gained some numbers back on the ECU because it took less MID and HIGH settings on the translator to get my AFR's and timing where I liked them on the lower oct. gas. I think the lower humidity and my elevation is now 500-2000 ft above sea level is where this gain came from.

When I say gain I was getting the the edge of the cells 19.4 because of the effect of the translator on the ECU. Now I am back down into the 10-12 range on some cells that were 17-19 before.

The ONLY reason I used the MAF-T is I had the same setup on my Eclipse so I had some idea of what I was doing.

On my other evo I am about to try out SD so ill have a MAF-T vs SD setup at my hands. I have never been a stock MAF guy. I always question what conditions = the stock MAF limit as its just as prone to atmospheric conditions as the MAF-T setup IMO but you know the limit of the GM MAF when you start. So your all ready 1 step ahead of questionable anomalies of the "what is my stock MAF limit?"
Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:25 AM
Account Disabled

the MAF-T sends a fixed temp to the ECU, that's my beef with it. The stock ecu sends the actual ambient temp so the ecu can make minor adjustments to keep the AFR where you left it.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
the MAF-T sends a fixed temp to the ECU, that's my beef with it. The stock ecu sends the actual ambient temp so the ecu can make minor adjustments to keep the AFR where you left it.
Can you run a IAT sensor in combination with it instead?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:38 AM
Account Disabled

I think the MAF-PRO addresses that issue but it's much more expensive
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FullBoostRacing
I have a FullThrottle MAF-T setup with the GM MAF, when I lived in SE texas with the mods in my sig I got 525HP 486TQ on the stock block, stock head, stock turbo 98pump 100% meth 28 PSI ( yes I know I am over running the stock turbo ) on a dynapack.
Two things caught my eye....is that a world record for WHP on the stock turbo???? And 98 octane pump?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Two things caught my eye....is that a world record for WHP on the stock turbo???? And 98 octane pump?
hahha +1 saw that too and did a double take!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Is it? I never really paid much attion to that stuff, I just wanted to see if I could break 500 on it so I setup everything with that goal in mind.

With this setup I clean up on Stock GTR's all day. There are about 4 GTR's in my area and I have whipped on strightline and in the canyons.

Its all in the meth HEET FTW!!

Anyways back on topic, I like my GG GSR MAF-T setup but cant wait to get into the SD stuff on my TB SE. In the end I think I am going to like SD more.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Not to be negative, but that boost level on a stock bottom end/head does not equal 525 on a dynojet. I can reliably say I know exactly where the end of the stock turbo is and it requires far more than the mods you have listed.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Not to be negative, but that boost level on a stock bottom end/head does not equal 525 on a dynojet. I can reliably say I know exactly where the end of the stock turbo is and it requires far more than the mods you have listed.
I am just going by what the dyno said if I still had the printout id post it. I am not trying to prove anything here with my HP, just wanted to give my .02 on my maf-t setup thats all
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Cool..

re-MAFT

MAFT Pro is only 399 plus sensors but it still has some of the bad habits the translator does. Even though you can use barometric correction and wire the IAT, it still has quirks that stock ECU speed density doesnt. There are tricks you can do with the Translator to make it work better, but as has been frequently pointed out its just not as cool as it seems.

Really though if your curve is dialed in the software, you can just use the Translator after that to make changes throughout the year as needed. The base adj, and the 4 trim adj go a long way in making it all happy.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by FullBoostRacing

When I lived there in the summer it was 105 deg 100% humidity heat index 115 deg / winter 30-40 deg rare snow a lot of ice elevation 20 feet below sea level. So I had 2 setups on my ECU map and MAF translator one winter and one summer.

In CA on 91oct I am getting 487HP 442TQ same setup new conditions. 20-60% humidity 95 deg summer and 60 deg winter. I now have one ecu and translator map for all seasons but I gained some numbers back on the ECU because it took less MID and HIGH settings on the translator to get my AFR's and timing where I liked them on the lower oct. gas. I think the lower humidity and my elevation is now 500-2000 ft above sea level is where this gain came from.

When I say gain I was getting the the edge of the cells 19.4 because of the effect of the translator on the ECU. Now I am back down into the 10-12 range on some cells that were 17-19 before.

The ONLY reason I used the MAF-T is I had the same setup on my Eclipse so I had some idea of what I was doing.

On my other evo I am about to try out SD so ill have a MAF-T vs SD setup at my hands. I have never been a stock MAF guy. I always question what conditions = the stock MAF limit as its just as prone to atmospheric conditions as the MAF-T setup IMO but you know the limit of the GM MAF when you start. So your all ready 1 step ahead of questionable anomalies of the "what is my stock MAF limit?"
No way
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
No way
ahhh a fresh glass of hater-aid. Nothing better on a hot summer day

Does anyone know if you can use an ext. IAT on the MAFT Gen 2 setup? Trough the AUX or something?

Last edited by BCOZEVO; Sep 4, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ Please post a graph ... It does sound to good to be true, especially on meth maybe on a 100% water. No one here has had the the ***** to test that but one lol and it didnt last long on a mustang dyno. So not calling BS just a little more info...

Respectfully,

Evan Smith

Quick Reply: stock mas limit finally found?