Notices
ECU Flash

stock mas limit finally found?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Edited my post with a link to the thread that discusses it.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well to conclude the 0-60 load test the difference is seriously night and day!

I certainly recommend any tuner not change the 0-60 load columns when making a map for low load drivability. Cold starts and running is very smooth now where it was a fussy before. There is still a little bit of messy acceleration on cold starts but it seems to be limited to higher load than 60 probably more like 80-90 load. I'd bet if i put in the stock loads 0-100 it would be fine but i can live with peddling it when cold to have better resolution for high load.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder how effective it would be to cut the thing apart and make a larger diameter one. You can even use stainless steel honeycomb in front for a smooth air signal back to the ecu like the stock one. If the sensors and circuitry are the same for other mits vehicles you can easily get a small MAF at a junk yard.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting read. I've been contemplating the sd patch as well, but the cold weather thing has been bothering me. We get alot of weather changes here in alaska.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wanting to transplant the guts of my stock mas into a larger pipe and try that myself but don't have a spare. Somebody said they didn't have luck with it but that doesn't discourage me, I might know something about dialing the tune in that they missed.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

update for those who missed it, I'm now at 790awhp 706tq at 46psi through the stock ecu/maf which is right at the maximum anyone has ever done on the HTA86 turbo. It's more clean that ever that the stock maf doesn't pose a substation restriction.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
So what was the issue you were seeing that made you suspect you were at the limits of the MAF?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:26 PM
Account Disabled

I'm really not sure...on the old 9:1 motor and HTA86 it was making about 700awhp at 38psi and 45psi only about 10awhp more but the tq was going way up. Now I'm on a 10:1 motor and my timing is less aggressive but it's making way more power at 45psi. I have to wonder if I just went too far with the timing map back then. I've definitely changed my strategy since then.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

That is quite the accomplishment 790awh on stock maf, wow! Doesn't surprise me that the Mellon Racing name is attached. Once again, you've really outdone yourself. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:59 AM
Account Disabled

thanks, we just wrapped up the pump and c16 tune on gary's stock ecu/maf smaller 3582 turbo. 600awhp on pump at 30psi and 736awhp on c16 at 42psi. Again the stock maf doesn't seem to be holding us up. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pump-c16.html
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
theres nothing magic about making power on maf.. you just remove the fuel ipw cap limit and load limit itself and rescale the map load and off you go.. i have hit up to 560 LOAD in my personal fp black evo on maf.

at the same time there are gains to remove the maf.. somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30whp. i will be doing a direct test on this and showing results eventually.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Aug 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

^ wait i have some questions. I come from the Evo X world and now own an 8. I've been doing a lot of research on this subject since i just recently installed an 4088R on my 2.4l set up and i thought i was encountering some issues with my MAF. I just turned it up to 25 psi last night and my g/s on my log were at 376 units. I cross referenced it to my ecuflash MAF size which is set a 356 (somewhere around there) and thought i had maxed it out. I hit 330 load and it leaned it self out a tad, 11.8. i'm on e85 too with 1650 FIC and DW 300 lph so i'm pretty confident it's not either of those things. my IDC were only at 65% if i remember correctly. My thought was that my MAF had pegged out and my ecu couldn't compensate for the added air flowing through. Any thoughts? i'm glad mellon revived this thread

ps i can post some logs of whatever you might need to see to help me out.

pss to tscompusa, i tried removing the load and fuel limit by switching it (0x9) like the ecuflash table said in order to remove it, but when i tried flashing it i received an error so i just put it back to what it was. 2ba1 or something. i'm on 94170015 V7, any thoughts? yes i am using the double load tables too which i have them maxed out at 638 or something.

Last edited by criptballer; Aug 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by criptballer
^ wait i have some questions. I come from the Evo X world and now own an 8. I've been doing a lot of research on this subject since i just recently installed an 4088R on my 2.4l set up and i thought i was encountering some issues with my MAF. I just turned it up to 25 psi last night and my g/s on my log were at 376 units. I cross referenced it to my ecuflash MAF size which is set a 356 (somewhere around there) and thought i had maxed it out. I hit 330 load and it leaned it self out a tad, 11.8. i'm on e85 too with 1650 FIC and DW 300 lph so i'm pretty confident it's not either of those things. my IDC were only at 65% if i remember correctly. My thought was that my MAF had pegged out and my ecu couldn't compensate for the added air flowing through. Any thoughts? i'm glad mellon revived this thread

ps i can post some logs of whatever you might need to see to help me out.

pss to tscompusa, i tried removing the load and fuel limit by switching it (0x9) like the ecuflash table said in order to remove it, but when i tried flashing it i received an error so i just put it back to what it was. 2ba1 or something. i'm on 94170015 V7, any thoughts? yes i am using the double load tables too which i have them maxed out at 638 or something.
0x0009 is what you put in.. you should search the forum or run a google query for evom and jcsbanks regarding this subject. but you disable both load & fuel cap limitations and rescale your fuel and timing map load axis to 500 or whatever your cars hitting then also adjust the 1byte to 2byte load to work with that new LOAD.

with a 40R you are definitely getting choked bad with the maf..
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
0x0009 is what you put in.. you should search the forum or run a google query for evom and jcsbanks regarding this subject. but you disable both load & fuel cap limitations and rescale your fuel and timing map load axis to 500 or whatever your cars hitting then also adjust the 1byte to 2byte load to work with that new LOAD.

with a 40R you are definitely getting choked bad with the maf..

0x0009 is what showed up after i typed 0x9. I tried loading that and it gave me the error while flashing. Do you have any links to any of these threads by chance? i've done quite the query searches but apparently i'm not typing the proper combination of words for these to pop up. especially since these topics where talked about years and years ago. also, is there a good thread on rescaling my fuel and timing map? i know the big map only goes to 350 load if i remember correctly. I know my byte table (can't remember the name right now) is set at 1.2 which i believe is standard. haven't looked into logging 2byte but it sounds like i have to then.

Also, i'm not clear if this will fix my actual MAF problem or not though. I don't see how rescaling my tables and logging 2 byte will help with the MAF problem. or is that what you meant by search for jcsbanks threads?

Mellon, any input?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

you dont have to rescale the maf to get more resolution out of it.. you unlock the load & fuel ipw cap limits and rescale your MAPS and set the 2byte to 1byte Load Factor to register the higher loads your maps are set to.. youre making yourself WAY more work then required.

if you want to log past a certain airflow hertz level for logging reference to know what lb/min your producing with your setup then you must alter MUT table and the airflow signal from 1byte to 2byte to read past the cap limit of the 1byte .. has nothing to do with MAF functionality though.. same thing with 1byte RPM when logging resolution is capped off you read the 2byte signal.

Quick Reply: stock mas limit finally found?