Notices
ECU Flash

MAF Hz and Load spikes at idle QUESTION ? ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MAF Hz and Load spikes at idle QUESTION ? ?

I've noticed at idle that I am getting odd spikes in MAF Hz and Load when the car is at idle. The car idles fine but hickups a tiny bit when these spikes occur.

I checked all of the wireing and everything looks good going to the MAF. I also removed any metal to metal contact that may have existed with my MAF adaptor or filter. I put dielectric grease in the connector and I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaning spray.

The issue still exists.

Durring cruise there isn't any spikes at all.

Any suggestions????

Paul
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You still running the HKS intake? I just had a new intake fabbed up, and the car is running much better...
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I am still running the HKS intake. I have a 3" 45 degree elbow mounted on the output side of the MAF and inserted inside the HKS pipe to make it essentially a full 3" pipe. By doing this I was able to get the MAF Hz down below 40 to allow the LTFT Low to adjust.

How might the intake pipe be causing the spikes?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have no clue, I am just giving you my experience from switching intakes... Which EGR disable routine are you running, the old style or the new MR.Fred Style that disables the entire routine? Do you have the bit disabled for timing retard on startup?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Can we see a log of it?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

At first i used the old way with Periphery bits FCA bit 9 to 0 to disable the EGR test and FAA bit 11 to 1 to disable the EGR. Then I tried the new method. I changed the above two bits back and then used the new method. I got a CEL for the EGR malfunction almost immediatly. I will be re-disabeling the FCA bit 9 to disable the test.

As for the bit for timing retard on startup....I have no idea which bit that is. So the answer would be no. If you have this one for the 94170015 I would be greatful.

A log of this....Give me a change to gather one up.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I can't seem to get my log to load so you can all take a look.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:12 AM
EvoM Community Team

FAA bit 9 is warmup ign retard. You can also 0 out the interpolation % map for it.

You want FAA bit 11 and FCA bit 9 both = 0 and then the other address that mrfred posted set properly to disable EGR without CEL (or the possible problems people are reporting).
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I have the table zeroed out already. The problem with cold start still exists. I will 0 out FAA bit 9 to hopefully solve the cold start issue.

I thought with the new method for EGR disable that FAA bit 11 and FCA bit 9 didn't have to be messed with any more. In other words, we can leave them stock and just use the ne method. I guess I will have to just do all three.....both bits and the method.

As for my MAF spikes. What are some possible causes for the Hz to not remain stable at a constant engine rpm?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Appauldd
I have the table zeroed out already. The problem with cold start still exists. I will 0 out FAA bit 9 to hopefully solve the cold start issue.

I thought with the new method for EGR disable that FAA bit 11 and FCA bit 9 didn't have to be messed with any more. In other words, we can leave them stock and just use the ne method. I guess I will have to just do all three.....both bits and the method.

As for my MAF spikes. What are some possible causes for the Hz to not remain stable at a constant engine rpm?
Zero'ing the table should be the same as disabling that bit. I didn't notice any improvement from it either.

FAA bit11 is 0 to enable, FCA 9 needs to be disabled for the CEL, the bit mrfred provided disables the actual action and resulting advance.

Are you sure the spikes are not just because of the resolution of the item you are logging? That was my initial thought when you made the thread, but I wanted to see the log to take a stab at what was actually happening.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to thread jack, but on the same topic...

I have the same issue... My Hz value jumps @ idle from 25hz to 31.25hz... Also, I have zeroed out the egr adv. table. Idle seemed a lil more smooth, but not much. I still have the rpm drop on occasion too... (still trying to figure that 1 out)

I tried to disable the egr the new method (mrfred) and got a cell, almost immediately... I did not disable the other 2 bits, thinking, that wasnt necessary any more... Doesnt this method, disable the entire egr? test, adv. etc.???

Im trying to understand all of this... I now need to diable FCA bit 9 for the CEL? Also I need to diable FAA bit 11?
Edit: just read fostys post again... lol got it!
TIA
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Here are the bits a la picture...

Attached Thumbnails MAF Hz and Load spikes at idle QUESTION ? ?-egr.png  
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

I disabled the ignition warm up table
used the new method to disable the EGR
disabled both the EGR peripherys
zeroed out the base low engine temp trim table
zeroed the warmup advance activation table

........ and my cold start issue has vastly improved.

BUT

Now the car wants to idle hang. When it is cold it wants to idle at 1700+/- 200 RPM. Once it is fully warmed up the hang goes away. Then there is a slight issue with idle run down. If I push the clutch to roll to a stop it takes a while for the RPM to decrease to my 1000ish idle setting. Basically, it doesn't fall to idle quickly.

I may adjust the Idle error tables and see if I can get the idle to come down a bit faster.

Last edited by Appauldd; Sep 23, 2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Fast Freddie,

Thanks for the pics, I am assuming (1) is on and (0) is off?

Also, where do I find myself those Kock Tables you have in that perty Rom of yours. I am on 94170015, same as Applaud I think...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

<table name="Knock Multiplier - Low RPM" level="2"/>

<table name="Knock Multiplier - Mid RPM" level="2"/>

<table name="Knock Multiplier - High RPM" level="2"/>

<table name="Knock Adder - Single Gain" level="2"/>

<table name="Knock Adder - Triple Gain" level="2"/>

Evo7Base

<table name="Knock Load" category="Knock Control" address="421a" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Load8">
<table name="X" address="635a" type="X Axis" elements="10" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Knock Multiplier - Low RPM" category="Knock Control" address="177a" type="1D" level="1" scaling="uint16"/>

<table name="Knock Multiplier - Mid RPM" category="Knock Control" address="24aa" type="1D" level="1" scaling="uint16"/>

<table name="Knock Multiplier - High RPM" category="Knock Control" address="21de" type="1D" level="1" scaling="uint16"/>

<table name="Knock Adder - Single Gain" category="Knock Control" address="1780" type="1D" level="1" scaling="uint16"/>

<table name="Knock Adder - Triple Gain" category="Knock Control" address="177c" type="1D" level="1" scaling="uint16"/>

Now....no more hijacking.....J/K

Quick Reply: MAF Hz and Load spikes at idle QUESTION ? ?