Notices
ECU Flash

New thread for Speed Density tuning?...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knochgoon24
Aren't your crossover points from closed loop into open loop controlled by 4 tables?
2 Load based and 2 TPS based.

If you exceed the load or TPS at the given RPM, you enter open loop.
Yes, 2 of them specifically, the other 2 I believe are for a "limp mode" setting. However a lot of people were saying that the RPM VE affects your open loop as well as closed loop, and such is not the case from my experience. The 2 tables you mentioned can raise or lower the point at which you cross from closed to open loop, but generally has no physical affect of AFR other than what the fuel map designates.

03whitegsr:
I can probably take a good guess as to why it's running lean with those scaling...have you at some point in your tune retuned any maf tables or changed latency numbers/scaling sizes so as to match afr numbers from your fuel table to your actual afr?
Old Nov 13, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Nope, I am on an other-wise stock ROM, as far as I know. The base for my ROM is the ROM Phenem posted in the Tephra V7 thread. I just converted over from 94170015 to this ROM and have not touched the MAF tables.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Nope, I am on an other-wise stock ROM, as far as I know. The base for my ROM is the ROM Phenem posted in the Tephra V7 thread. I just converted over from 94170015 to this ROM and have not touched the MAF tables.
Hmm, interesting then...did you add the scaling for the Omni 4 bar to the v7 xml? (I'm assuming you did, not to insult your intelligence but I have to ask lol) Once you have the scaling offset loaded in the xml, then drop the values to what I have posted (that's if you forgot the scaling of course). That's the only reason I could see your MAP sensor kPa values being as high as they are compared to load% is just due to the scaler being missing.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

These are the two relevant scaling values I am using.

Code:
<scaling name="MAP 16bit" units="kPa" toexpr="x*0.4072" frexpr="x/0.4072" format="%.1f" min="0" max="450" inc="0.4072" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="MAP VE load" units="Load (kPa)" toexpr="x*(5/32*0.596)" frexpr="x/(5/32*0.596)" format="%.1f" min="0" max="600" inc="0.93125" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
Depending on how you have yours scaled, we may actually have similar values in our tables. Can you post up your scaling?

FWIW, I'm running 1:1 above 120kPa and I still have the RPM VE table peak at 108% to get my actual AFR to match the map AFR. The car runs pretty damn well now so I'm not that worried about the numbers. I turned on the closed loop control and my fuel trims are around -5%. I just revised my MAP VE table a good amount though and I think one more revision should have it pretty well nailed down. I had to add about 30% on the MAP VE below 80kPa to get it where it's at now and now it's saying 5% too rich so, comparatively, it's pretty close. STFT stay very tight too just gotta work that 5% out.

I passed pretty strict emissions testing today as well. All green on the OBD-II check...
Now that the car is registered, I'll be able to get a lot more tuning in.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Nov 13, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the_mork
It used to be an issue with the v6 roms but the super easy way to get it taken care of is simply place your v7 xml in the evoscan folder designated for rom definitions. Worked great for me with no issues, it even lets me select the altmaps for comparison if I like. Tested on v2.6 and all of the 2.7betas.
Thanks!! this worked for me also after reading it.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

These are the two relevant scaling values I am using.

Code:
<scaling name="MAP 16bit" units="kPa" toexpr="x*0.4072" frexpr="x/0.4072" format="%.1f" min="0" max="450" inc="0.4072" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="MAP VE load" units="Load (kPa)" toexpr="x*(5/32*0.596)" frexpr="x/(5/32*0.596)" format="%.1f" min="0" max="600" inc="0.93125" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
Depending on how you have yours scaled, we may actually have similar values in our tables. Can you post up your scaling?

FWIW, I'm running 1:1 above 120kPa and I still have the RPM VE table peak at 108% to get my actual AFR to match the map AFR. The car runs pretty damn well now so I'm not that worried about the numbers. I turned on the closed loop control and my fuel trims are around -5%. I just revised my MAP VE table a good amount though and I think one more revision should have it pretty well nailed down. I had to add about 30% on the MAP VE below 80kPa to get it where it's at now and now it's saying 5% too rich so, comparatively, it's pretty close. STFT stay very tight too just gotta work that 5% out.

I passed pretty strict emissions testing today as well. All green on the OBD-II check...
Now that the car is registered, I'll be able to get a lot more tuning in.

<scaling name="MAP 16bit" units="kPa" toexpr="x*0.4045" frexpr="x/0.4045" format="%.1f" min="0" max="450" inc="0.3333" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

And...

<scaling name="MAP VE load" units="Load (%)" toexpr="x*(5/32*0.596)" frexpr="x/(5/32*0.596)" format="%.1f" min="0" max="600" inc="0.093125" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

Those are the two I have, my values on both are slightly off from yours. IIRC that first one is the scaling from my old 94170015 SD patched v5.10 rom. At least you've managed to get things pretty well straightened out though, thumbs up to another guy running SD.

Just a note, I didn't push to get my afr maps to match my actual afr's. I never really look at the values as afr, but simply another scaling for injector milliseconds open.

Last edited by Slo_crx1; Nov 14, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the_mork
It used to be an issue with the v6 roms but the super easy way to get it taken care of is simply place your v7 xml in the evoscan folder designated for rom definitions. Worked great for me with no issues, it even lets me select the altmaps for comparison if I like. Tested on v2.6 and all of the 2.7betas.
Originally Posted by golruss
Thanks!! this worked for me also after reading it.
It works for me now as well, thanks

Is it possible to make the MapTracer window larger / stretch it out? Some of the columns get compressed and I'm unable to see the lower graphs RPM rows past 5000
Picture to show what I'm talking about:

Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have one more issue that seems to be bugging me lately, the initial throttle tip in when transitioning from decel fuel cut back into the throttle. I adjusted the Asynch_vs_TPSDelta table to tighten up the way the throttle responds and it's helped a lot when I'm already on the throttle, but not with that initial tip in. Unfortunately the coordinates X and the "units" tags don't really explain much as to what they actually effect. Would further adjustment of somewhere on this table eliminate the initial lean tip in? And what section (0-8) would have the most impact?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
I have one more issue that seems to be bugging me lately, the initial throttle tip in when transitioning from decel fuel cut back into the throttle. I adjusted the Asynch_vs_TPSDelta table to tighten up the way the throttle responds and it's helped a lot when I'm already on the throttle, but not with that initial tip in. Unfortunately the coordinates X and the "units" tags don't really explain much as to what they actually effect. Would further adjustment of somewhere on this table eliminate the initial lean tip in? And what section (0-8) would have the most impact?
Better descriptions of the asynch accel tables are in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-options.html

You'll have to replace the Evo 9 table addresses with the ones for your Evo 8.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys might be interested in this MAF vs No MAF SD comparison I did today:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-w-no-maf.html

- Bryan
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Surprising that there was no power gain with SD. It seems like the MAF should be a pretty significant flow restriction at that power level.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

"I think that there is a difference when you replace the stock compressor with a larger compressor. It's normal to find no power gain with stock turbo."

Edit...sorry, I do not read that the turbo is different.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Didn't JohnBradley do the same test and documented ~15HP gains by ditching the MAF on a mid 400HP car?

As for tuning on SD, has anybody else noticed the AFRs to be pretty inconsistent when running in open loop under cruise conditions?

3000 RPM, 70 kPa gave me 13.2:1 AFRs on the freeway on my way to work.
I get off the freeway, do a 2nd/3rd pull on a highway, and then drop back to the same 70kPa, 3000 RPM load condition and my AFRs are 14.2-14.4. A full point leaner for the exact same operating condition.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Didn't JohnBradley do the same test and documented ~15HP gains by ditching the MAF on a mid 400HP car?

I'm not sure, I will search for a thread by him. I'm wondering if it was at the same AFR and Boost (not just peak) all the way across?

One thing I noticed is that the SD needed slightly more WGDC at the low to midrange to match the MAF boost. I'm wondering if the MAF created a little more back (pre?) pressure pre-turbo than no MAF.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Nov 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Yep. Don't remember where the thread is located though.

Quick Reply: New thread for Speed Density tuning?...