Notices
ECU Flash

Universal USDM rom

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by whitey4d
All I want is the BIG MAP patch. Hell Im running 5.10 and dont even run half the features of it. so why would want to add all the changes needed to make the car run well again on a ROM that requires alot of change.

Id rather just get enough people together to donate enough to have tephra do a 94170015 big map patch then have to morv to a different rom with more stuff that most people dont need or use.

IMHO
+1

Im running tephra V2 (CEL on knock/nlts/valet) 96420008 and i would be content if I could just add BIG MAP. Oh yeah, and 1byte LOAD.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Thats fine that you dont think I should want a USDM ROM. Its just personal preference. Just like you buy brand A exhaust, and I buy brand C exhaust.

Also, I understand when you talk about the ROM and mitsu last revisions. At first I thought/wanted for us to use the 96420011 ROM, since its the last revision for the 03-04 cars.

And about putting on 9653 and simulate all the smog stuff, I dont feel comfortable doing that on peoples cars that I tune here in CALIFORNIA. I think most of you keep forgetting that fact, that I live in california and dont feel totally right loading up 9653 to peoples cars. Also because the idle stuff. If they have to go to the state ref (yeah, something you guys probably dont not know about) or to mitsu, it would be nice if they could load their stock ROm and not have to worry about adjusting the idle and such.

All in all though, like I have said on the first page and numerous times since...

"All I did was ask if tephra would make a USDM V7 and I said I would donate more, even though I have already donated towards V7.

I guess I should have just sent my request to tephra in private and just paid him to do one V7 USDM ROM for me. Sorry"
Do you have to be a rebel about everything?

Your personal preference reason is retarded, do you have any idea how much work tephra(and others) spend just doing 1-2 roms with this stuff let alone having to do another. Its really stupid how some of you can't be satisfied with whats out there which works that you gotta have what YOU want. If your going to donate or want it so bad, how about donating the amount of programming which last time I looked can be $160+ an hour to make it.

If you cant setup peoples cars on 9653 i suggest you stop tuning other peoples cars now and leave it to people who know what there doing or aren't too lazy to do everything to set it up right in the first place.

I've loaded this on 3 evo 8's(03, 05, 05) now with no issues and in fact it drove better then with previous roms.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Do you have to be a rebel about everything?

Your personal preference reason is retarded, do you have any idea how much work tephra(and others) spend just doing 1-2 roms with this stuff let alone having to do another. Its really stupid how some of you can't be satisfied with whats out there which works that you gotta have what YOU want. If your going to donate or want it so bad, how about donating the amount of programming which last time I looked can be $160+ an hour to make it.

If you cant setup peoples cars on 9653 i suggest you stop tuning other peoples cars now and leave it to people who know what there doing or aren't too lazy to do everything to set it up right in the first place.

I've loaded this on 3 evo 8's(03, 05, 05) now with no issues and in fact it drove better then with previous roms.
For one, i dont appreciate you calling my views "retarded". Its very juvenile.

I have been here since the beginning of ECUFlash. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND how much work and time goes into modding ROMs. I respect and donate to their efforts. I have also done my best to contribute to this community.

I already said multiple times that I should have keep my request private. I have NO PROBLEM paying tephra a proper and fair price for him to make me a modded USDM 8 ROM.

I can very well setup a car on 9653. I know what Im doing and Im far from lazy (and frown on you for making these negative remarks).

Really I think everyone needs to stop worrying about this (and possibly close this thread). I will take my request to tephra in private and pay him for his services.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Nov 5, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
NONE of them had throttle hang??

Also some people think that there is a fix (ISVC tables and Decel tables), and even though they make the throttle hang go away to a degree, when the the car is logged on lift-off, the AFR dont peg lean like they should. Therefore, we have no 100% correct fix to cure "throttle hang".

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Nov 5, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
NONE of them had throttle hang??

Also some people think that there is a fix (ISVC tables and Decel tables), and even though they make the throttle hang go away to a degree, when the the car is logged on lift-off, the AFR dont peg lean like they should. Therefore, we have no 100% correct fix to cure "throttle hang".
Exactly what I have seen in my testing with 9653. Maybe it would be easier for someone to find the difference in the decel code between 9417 and 9653 instead of doing another rom. This has been my only issue with 9653 so far.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the "hang" is the rpm staying high on lift off. or is it just a rich afr on lift off?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
the "hang" is the rpm staying high on lift off. or is it just a rich afr on lift off?
It does both. When you let off, it still adds fuel, making the rpm drop really slow and unnatural.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Also the funniest thing about this is that Tephra already agreed and just asked us to figure out what ROM it would be. Then appauldd made this thread and it got out of hand.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You are missing the point though.

Some of us want to see the focus to only a certain number of ROMs because it will quicken further development. Instead of time being taken up from various people recreating the same patches over and over, and then answering the same questions over and over, they can work on other patches and finding new maps, and decompiling other sections of the ECU. This will improve the overall knowledge of the ECU and allow us to fix the minor issues that some people have seen when switching to a "universal ROM."
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
You are missing the point though.

Some of us want to see the focus to only a certain number of ROMs because it will quicken further development. Instead of time being taken up from various people recreating the same patches over and over, and then answering the same questions over and over, they can work on other patches and finding new maps, and decompiling other sections of the ECU. This will improve the overall knowledge of the ECU and allow us to fix the minor issues that some people have seen when switching to a "universal ROM."
I KNOW THIS. I am NOT missing the point. I UNDERSTAND a 100% that if we have less number of ROMs to focus on we can learn more and quicken development. And the disassemblers can find more table and they wont have to do it over and over for every different ROM and when tephra makes a patch, he'll only have to patch a couple ROm, instead of having to patch 10.

This is the whole reason there was/is a push towards a "universal ROM". I KNOW THIS. How many time do I have to tell you I have been here (ECUFlash forum) from the start?

I have already repeated myself over and over, that people should forget this topic and if I want a USDM V7 ROm, Ill will talk to tephra privately and pay him for his services. Then it shouldnt be a concern to anyone.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Nov 6, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Another perspective to consider: some of us would rather not see the interest level we still have from tephra wasted on chasing down things we already have. Remember, he has an X now, which is a completely different hardware and software platform; we're very lucky that he's still showing some interest in patching ROMs for this platform.

We only get to enjoy the attention of folks like tephra, mrfred, acamus, etc. for the relatively short period of time that they have an interest in this platform. We've already said goodbye to jcsbanks, for example; he still pops in to chat with us from time to time, but I dare you to ask him an in-depth question about Evo speed density. Yes, hopefully people will pick up where he left off (Eric, phenem, ziad, and I have been trying to keep up with at least the DMA/live-mapping stuff, and mrfred seems to have a handle on the speed density implementation), but that's a slow and rather painful process.

So, if you feel attacked, it's because we're (well, at least some of us) not just interested in easier development: we're defending intrusions on the available mental bandwidth of the guy who currently makes releases like this possible right now (I know I sure as hell don't have the patience to put up with what he puts up with as a result of managing these releases).

I'm actually half-tempted to expand the fuel and timing maps on 94170015 for you myself, just so you leave tephra alone about it, so he can focus on cars that can't use 96530006 or 88590015.

Along this vein, I swear I'll start breaking knuckles if I see people distracting mrfred from his current fuel obsession. Let the man work, I want to see a true flex fuel implementation while I still own an Evo.

(One last thing, going completely off-topic: I apologize for how short/rude my posts in this thread may have been; I blame a bad week at work and a short fuse. But this post, right here, is the real reason this ticks me off so much: I hate seeing Dave's time wasted on something that's already working for those who are willing to put in a little effort. Promising money to him might very well work; you might get what you're after. But as a community, we could use his attention on other things first, such as ROMs for people who CAN'T run 9653, as opposed to people who are "picky".)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Very well said. Thank you.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
Another perspective to consider: some of us would rather not see the interest level we still have from tephra wasted on chasing down things we already have. Remember, he has an X now, which is a completely different hardware and software platform; we're very lucky that he's still showing some interest in patching ROMs for this platform.

We only get to enjoy the attention of folks like tephra, mrfred, acamus, etc. for the relatively short period of time that they have an interest in this platform. We've already said goodbye to jcsbanks, for example; he still pops in to chat with us from time to time, but I dare you to ask him an in-depth question about Evo speed density. Yes, hopefully people will pick up where he left off (Eric, phenem, ziad, and I have been trying to keep up with at least the DMA/live-mapping stuff, and mrfred seems to have a handle on the speed density implementation), but that's a slow and rather painful process.

So, if you feel attacked, it's because we're (well, at least some of us) not just interested in easier development: we're defending intrusions on the available mental bandwidth of the guy who currently makes releases like this possible right now (I know I sure as hell don't have the patience to put up with what he puts up with as a result of managing these releases).

I'm actually half-tempted to expand the fuel and timing maps on 94170015 for you myself, just so you leave tephra alone about it, so he can focus on cars that can't use 96530006 or 88590015.

Along this vein, I swear I'll start breaking knuckles if I see people distracting mrfred from his current fuel obsession. Let the man work, I want to see a true flex fuel implementation while I still own an Evo.

(One last thing, going completely off-topic: I apologize for how short/rude my posts in this thread may have been; I blame a bad week at work and a short fuse. But this post, right here, is the real reason this ticks me off so much: I hate seeing Dave's time wasted on something that's already working for those who are willing to put in a little effort. Promising money to him might very well work; you might get what you're after. But as a community, we could use his attention on other things first, such as ROMs for people who CAN'T run 9653, as opposed to people who are "picky".)
Very well said.

I havent even been able to privately ask for tephra to do anything for me, so you dont have to worry about me taking up his time.

Again for the 10th time all I did was ask, and tephra said he would, then this thing got blown up way too much.

As it is now (after everyone gettin upset), I just deal with this myself. Ill wont bother tephra. You dont have to add BIG MAPS to anything for me. Dont worry about it.

Also about your short post, dont worry about it, everyone has a bad day/week/month, etc.

But for you last sentence, I dont think Im just picky, I feel that I like to do things properly, and IMHO using 9653 on a USDM car is kinda of a "hack" job. But thats just me.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Also I would like to add a couple thing:

- I DID NOT start this thread.

- I'm not the only person that would like to have a USDM 8 V7 ROM. (but dont make comments on it no more, cuz I dont want one now)

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Nov 6, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I was honestly going to stay away from this thread. But its really getting out of hand. When these mods first started coming out, I remember at that point in time pointing out "wouldn't it be better instead of spending time making these mods to fully finish the disassembly of at lest one rom out there? So we could find the other "100+" tables that the Works software engineers claimed this community has yet to find?" (who remembers this thread? )

With that complete disassembly done, there would be several benfits:

1) You now have a quick base to fully disassemble the rest of the versions of the roms out there
2) Using #1 above a concrete, and definite way to explain why there are 32903209 versions of roms out there today (instead of the speculation we have today)
3) Changes/modifications can be better made to current roms since we would know exactly what does what and where it lives (see the every 6 months or so "hey if you change this variable here, it actually affects that same variable in these x other tables we just found")
4) Using #2 above then users can correctly determine if they want to run rom version x on their car or not

This is unfortunately not the way it went and thus here we are today. Both sides have valid points but at the end of the day these guys have limited time to put in and they put in where best it suits their own goals/time.

Evo_Kid: I understand and emphasise with you completely. I think though that if they aren't going to end up doing the patches for your particular rom/what you feel comfortable running on your ECU/customer's ECUs then just simply don't run them . As an Software Test Engineer I always tell people, if I don't trust a piece of software (regardless of reason) I'd simply rather not run it than run it and later on find out that hunch was correct.

logic et al: Have valid points as well, but if he (and many others including myself) quite frankly are not comfortable changing the rom that runs on their machine without provable results/running too much custom code then why should they? And silencing them (or attempting to do so by publicly berating them) doesn't do good in the long run IMHO.

Quick Reply: Universal USDM rom