Notices
ECU Flash

'03 Evo Starting Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Evo Starting Tuning

Hey Everyone,

Im currently working with an 03 Evo and just lookin to eliminate whatever factory knock exists. Problem is, Im used to tuning Honda's and its a little bit different so I just got some basic questions to clear up and verify things and go from there.

Ive been readin about the VIII's head and that its just a poor design and the factory map pulls way too much advance timing.

So last night I went out and took some logs..modified the timing map a little knowing that if I retard timing in area's where I get knock it should eliminate it.

Well, I have all the stock maps and the such so I can always revert if I did anything wrong so..a few questions,

What do you guys log when you make runs? and how can I log 2byte cause Im currently logging LoadCalc. Is that alright

Im logging, Engine RPM, Knock Sum, Load Calc, Boost (MDP), Speed, and AFR Map.

Now, is this okay? And can anyone tell me why boost mdp is reading like 40'ish psi when I know for sure its not that high?

But now for the mods, Car is running 3" Downpipe, Greddy Evo2 exhaust, GReddy Type-RS Recirc valve and Turbo Intake. Basically stock...

Now, Im on all stock sensors right now and I Saw that for a while in Mellon's thread he was tuning on the NBO2. It does plan on getting replaced for an Innovate WBO2 but for now its a matter of $$.

Plan is to get a WB02 and GM 3bar MAP.

The car has been doing pretty good at NOT getting knock higher up in the powerband as I expected, but random count (usually only 1) lower down when down shifting. And then the other day it randomly pulled 6 counts for apparently no reason.

Just lookin for some advice. I'm used to Crome and NepTuneRTP and have familiarized myself with EvoScan and ECUFlash which btw....way better than Honda tuning programs. hah

And as a note, On 91 Octane, however at about 6700ft elevation. I can post up my logs and ROMs if required, just lookin for some advice on where to start seeing as the Evo is a somewhat new beast to me. atleast using these programs.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
dont log "load calc". Log 2byte. There is thread on it if you search.

Boost(MDP) only only goes up to a few psi (and is one the wrong scaling, so it read 40.xx), just to tell the ECU the car is in boost. Get a JDM/EVO X MAP sensor to log boost though evoscan. (you can also use the OMNI 3 or 4bar. I like the JDM/EVO X and OMNI MAP sensor better then the GM, as they mount in the factory location.

Do NOT tune using a NBO2. Get a WB02.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:56 PM

I've Found the 2byte thread but it doesnt entirely make much sense to me.

and I know I shouldnt really "tune" tune it on a NBO2 but I was hoping I could at least eliminate the knock via timing until a WBO2 is in place.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:02 PM

This is basically how it came stock. AFR is as I pulled from the ECU. supposedly had a buschur racing Basic tune on it..which looks like bull$#!+ and timing was adjusted a little by me wherever I saw knock
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

did you get my PM?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:32 PM

PM'd back.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 05:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a bit of an art to nb02 tuning, I don't recommend doing it unless you have minimal mods and simply want to know if it's lean or rich and have a ton of experience with it. I was tuning well before wb02 were available so I can draw on that experience. These new tuners are scared to death of it because they don't understand it and or there's better tools out there now with wb02 being affordable these days
Old Nov 7, 2009, 09:38 AM

I See, well any tips/tricks you can tell me Mellon I'd really appreciate it.

With Evo_Kid's help I got the ROM Modified for 2byte and took some logs last night.

It doesnt have over 3 counts of knock at any given time but it seems to have random knock when decelerating and I can tell by looking at Engine RPM in correlation to Load that its getting terrible boost surge.

Its like It hits full boost at 3250 or so RPM and everything after that is tapering down.

Heres an Image of one of our 3rd gear runs.

Also...this might sound like a n00b question but Im relatively new to ECUFlash...but how do I get it to expand to higher load cells? EvoScan said it hit the 269 load cell and higher and yet on the ROM I cant see any higher than 260..how do I expand it to see the cells its referencing?

Here you can see it reading 269 Load, and yet clearly before that it hit the 300+ cell. EvoScan said it hit 309.

Also, on a different run I believe we hit Boost cut...the car bumped at us and then went right back into boost..Ive felt boost cut in a honda and it felt just like that. at the time it didnt register any knock or anything.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Please see the "how to tune an evo" thread.

All of your questions have been answered multiple times already.

AFR is the thing that needs the most "cleanup" from the factory, and installing a wideband should be your first action before tuning the car.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
there's a bit of an art to nb02 tuning, I don't recommend doing it unless you have minimal mods and simply want to know if it's lean or rich and have a ton of experience with it. I was tuning well before wb02 were available so I can draw on that experience. These new tuners are scared to death of it because they don't understand it and or there's better tools out there now with wb02 being affordable these days
I dont think anyone is "scared to death of it", especially with a very big percent of EVO owners having been DSM owners.

And I dont think anyone "doesnt" understand it, being that it is really simple to understand NB02 tuning. I just think that most people nowadays KNOW that using a WB02 is the correct way to tune fuel and with WB02s being affordable, there is no reason to use a less correct/less accurate method.

Hit me up on AIM and ill help with you going over the LOAD scaling in the map.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Nov 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 03:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
Please see the "how to tune an evo" thread.

All of your questions have been answered multiple times already.

AFR is the thing that needs the most "cleanup" from the factory, and installing a wideband should be your first action before tuning the car.

What he said...