Disappearing Tephramod V7 Speed Density

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 08:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Disappearing Tephramod V7 Speed Density

Hi Guys,

I hope all is well,

I decided to take the plunge and jump into the next level of tuning using TephraMod V7 with speed density. When I open the tephra rom I begin to populate the different fields with my default map just as we are instructed. The rom file will save properly and the setup process will flow smoothly. I can shut down my computer and come back to it later for more work. Now here is the problem....

On a single and random occasion, I will open the tephra rom file and all of my data will be erased. On top of that, the rom turns itself into a USDM evo 9 ROM instead of the TDM evo 9 rom first shown in the TephraMod V7 " ROM Info". ALL of the Speed Density menu's, extra patches, and tephra options disappear. This is very frustrating as it deletes all my work and it keeps happening on two different PC's.

Example:

Does anyone know what could be going on or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

bump, never heard of this before haha
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I had nothing but problems when I tried to switch over to Tephra. Mine never deleted anything but a lot of functions just didnt work or worked wrong. When I scaled injectors, it scaled the load too. None of the emission turn off functions ever worked. Map switching didnt work. The whole thing was a disaster. I think its time for you to make the switch over to the aftermarket ecu world. I couldnt be any happier with my Infinity and wish I made the switch sooner.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It could be that your ecuflash is using different XML's to open the rom. Can you post pictures of the log output from ecuflash when you load your rom in these two different scenarios. Also verify what metadata directory is set in the options and see if that changes between these two situations. From what it looks like though, you are just opening the wrong ROM. The internal ID's don't match. Maybe something got miss labeled or over written by accident?

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
How are you "opening" the Tephra ROM? You should be starting with a file called "88591715-TephraMod.bin." This will direct ECU Flash to use the appropriate XML's. Try saving the file as "88591715-???????.bin" so you don't get confused with the file you are trying to open. Look at the image below and what is circled in RED. This tells you what file was accessed and what XML files are being used.

Also, look at the folder where you need to keep all of the XML files. You see that I have the EXACT XML files as you and I have no issues opening various versions.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Mar 12, 2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I had nothing but problems when I tried to switch over to Tephra. Mine never deleted anything but a lot of functions just didnt work or worked wrong. When I scaled injectors, it scaled the load too. None of the emission turn off functions ever worked. Map switching didnt work. The whole thing was a disaster. I think its time for you to make the switch over to the aftermarket ecu world. I couldnt be any happier with my Infinity and wish I made the switch sooner.
I was actually looking at an AEM EMS-4 for a future build, I wonder how hard it would be to interface that with the evo. I was excited to play with the features of the Tephra rom, but if it keeps disappearing that will be impossible.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
It could be that your ecuflash is using different XML's to open the rom. Can you post pictures of the log output from ecuflash when you load your rom in these two different scenarios. Also verify what metadata directory is set in the options and see if that changes between these two situations. From what it looks like though, you are just opening the wrong ROM. The internal ID's don't match. Maybe something got miss labeled or over written by accident?
It sounds like this is closest to what is happening. Maybe when I am opening the ROM file it uses the correct XML at first, then selects a different one later to confuse the hell out of me. I also never verified the metadata directory to see if it changes anything. I should give that a try. Do I change the metadata directory to point to strictly the XML files needed by the ROM?

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
How are you "opening" the Tephra ROM? You should be starting with a file called "88591715-TephraMod.bin." This will direct ECU Flash to use the appropriate XML's. Try saving the file as "88591715-???????.bin" so you don't get confused with the file you are trying to open. Look at the image below and what is circled in RED. This tells you what file was accessed and what XML files are being used.

Also, look at the folder where you need to keep all of the XML files. You see that I have the EXACT XML files as you and I have no issues opening various versions.

Correct, our XML's do match. I'd always open the ROM image from the ECU flash menu and make sure the file name says 88591715_TephraMod.bin, which I got from the 88591715-r3compile-scheides-bigric09 zip file at this location.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html

Maybe I need to create a new directory and only use ONLY the XML's that it came with.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
I was actually looking at an AEM EMS-4 for a future build, I wonder how hard it would be to interface that with the evo. I was excited to play with the features of the Tephra rom, but if it keeps disappearing that will be impossible.

It sounds like this is closest to what is happening. Maybe when I am opening the ROM file it uses the correct XML at first, then selects a different one later to confuse the hell out of me. I also never verified the metadata directory to see if it changes anything. I should give that a try. Do I change the metadata directory to point to strictly the XML files needed by the ROM?

Correct, our XML's do match. I'd always open the ROM image from the ECU flash menu and make sure the file name says 88591715_TephraMod.bin, which I got from the 88591715-r3compile-scheides-bigric09 zip file at this location.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html

Maybe I need to create a new directory and only use ONLY the XML's that it came with.
If you are able to open the ROM in order to take the picture in your first post then it is working. You can open multiple files that use Multiple XML's so that is not an issue and is necessary when you copy over your maps. You need to make sure you are actually saving your work so you have to have the file you want to save highlighted and then hit save. I think you are just doing something wrong in the process. Sent me a PM if you want to walk through this over the phone. BTW, I have a Haltech Platinum Pro PnP if you really want to go aftermarket for the EVO 9.

I was getting frustrated in the Tephra stuff and considered multiple times to stick the Haltech back in the car. It is easy for me to tune and the car ran rock solid for years, but just hated pulling it every year for inspection and getting the stock ECU setup. I finally switched from V5 to V7 2D and my cold start fueling issue is resolved and now that I converted to V7 3D I am starting to feel much better about the stock ECU.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
If you are able to open the ROM in order to take the picture in your first post then it is working. You can open multiple files that use Multiple XML's so that is not an issue and is necessary when you copy over your maps. You need to make sure you are actually saving your work so you have to have the file you want to save highlighted and then hit save. I think you are just doing something wrong in the process. Sent me a PM if you want to walk through this over the phone. BTW, I have a Haltech Platinum Pro PnP if you really want to go aftermarket for the EVO 9.

Awesome, I do appreciate your help.

I am able to open the rom in order to take the snapshot, but it unfortunately it doesn't stay that way. I'll do more testing tonight to see if ECUFlash is saving the wrong rom over my tephra rom after my edits. I do make sure to highlight the Tephra V7 rom file in ecu flash before I hit save, but maybe I must do something more.

I, too, would really like to fix my cold start fueling issues haha.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, I do appreciate your help.

I am able to open the rom in order to take the snapshot, but it unfortunately it doesn't stay that way. I'll do more testing tonight to see if ECUFlash is saving the wrong rom over my tephra rom after my edits. I do make sure to highlight the Tephra V7 rom file in ecu flash before I hit save, but maybe I must do something more.

I, too, would really like to fix my cold start fueling issues haha.
Like you showed in your first picture on the left, the .BIN file designates 88591715 that inherits from 88590715 so when you open that .BIN file it can't magically access 88590015 that inherits from ev09base.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I’m sure your Infinity works great , but correct me if I’m wrong , don’t you have to switch back to stock ecu to pass emissions and if so is it fairly easy to do? I run Tephra v7 on speed density with no issues.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

If you go AEM, dont shortcut it with the EMS-4. Spend the extra money for the Infinity. Ya its quite a bit more but its also that much better and 100% plug and play. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will hook you up on one.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I’m sure your Infinity works great , but correct me if I’m wrong , don’t you have to switch back to stock ecu to pass emissions and if so is it fairly easy to do? I run Tephra v7 on speed density with no issues.
I dont have to pass any emissions (yes legally) so no going back to stock for me. Even if I did, it takes 1 min to plug back in the factory ecu and then there are 2 wires to plug back into the IAC. It would literally take me 5 min to get it running on the stock ecu.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

If you go AEM, dont shortcut it with the EMS-4. Spend the extra money for the Infinity. Ya its quite a bit more but its also that much better and 100% plug and play. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will hook you up on one.
Thanks Sean,

I appreciate that
Old Mar 12, 2019, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

No problem!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Alright, found out what I was doing wrong.

I would paste data into the Tephra Map, exit the table base map, and then hit save like an idiot. I didn't know that if you highlight the tephra map in ECUflash and then exit a table in the base map, it defaults to the base map.....so much wasted time
Old Mar 13, 2019, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Alright, found out what I was doing wrong.

I would paste data into the Tephra Map, exit the table base map, and then hit save like an idiot. I didn't know that if you highlight the tephra map in ECUflash and then exit a table in the base map, it defaults to the base map.....so much wasted time
I figured it was something simple. I have attached my TephraMOD-88590715-v7.XML file as I have already added all the other stuff you will want. Mine is the base XML plus a bunch of other tables. It has the 2 tables for the RPM Hang fix, a bunch of ISCV tables for idle and cold start, non-linear injector compensation, coil dwell, plus a few others.
Attached Files
File Type: xml
TephraMOD-88590715-v7.xml (80.8 KB, 0 views)