Notices
ECU Flash

Knock with NLTS?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock with NLTS?

I cannot figure out whats going on here, Ive log it 50-60 times and it seems that every time I use NLTS my car will knock and cont. to knock (its always through the 5000-6500 rpm range) and im not sure if this is a timing in general issue or NLTS issue or maybe I just put shatty gas in it. I was not knocking before and then I made a 1 degree advance in my timing across the useable board and boom ive got 500,000,000,000,000 counts of knock I retared the timing that one degree and still have knock took more out and still knock, Im at the point where Im not sure what to do I dont wanna mess somthing up cause I was unsure if the timing jump from the NLS to the actually gear is what this is coming from, Im confused I might have confused yall if I need to elaborate I can just let me know.

btw, If I'm not mistaken using the 2-step causes knock? (i could be wrong) but all this started occurring after I took the car and but about $5 of gas in it (NC 93 oct) and i think they must water it down or something cause it wasnt doing this at all before the fill up is it possible I got screwed by a false labeled 93? lol just trying to figure this out!

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Log the 2 step. Its part of the factory system, but if you haven taken long enough to hit the rev limiter on the NLTS one of two things has happened-

1. RPM drop isnt enough to keep it from hitting

or

2. You arent shifting fast enough and probably should turn it off

Dunno about your gas but that probably doesnt help if it is really not 93 and the car is tuned really aggressive. The other thing you can do is notch the timing map from like 6k up and from 70 load out to 180 or so. Drop the timing way down in there and that can help with shift knock.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

O alright lol I guess I should but it wasnt knocking until after I had gotten gas, Ive loged my 2-step and seen about 8-10 counts of knock but I read somewhere that If you rev slow up to it then hit it then It wont cause it to knock? not sure about this I havnt tried it I dont really launch my car. Im looking for just a semi aggressive street tune for my timing could you or anyone point me in the right direction? or should I just load mine onto here for those of you to view.

Last edited by BoostFTW05; Feb 21, 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: wording
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Log the 2 step. Its part of the factory system, but if you haven taken long enough to hit the rev limiter on the NLTS one of two things has happened-

1. RPM drop isnt enough to keep it from hitting

or

2. You arent shifting fast enough and probably should turn it off

Dunno about your gas but that probably doesnt help if it is really not 93 and the car is tuned really aggressive. The other thing you can do is notch the timing map from like 6k up and from 70 load out to 180 or so. Drop the timing way down in there and that can help with shift knock.

Ok I got you, Im going to notch the map I started with this idea and it seemed to help but I was unsure if thats what was doing it.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a thread on here about the launch maps that I made, it has some more good info on knock between shifts and maps that kinda give you a clue.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
There is a thread on here about the launch maps that I made, it has some more good info on knock between shifts and maps that kinda give you a clue.

Ok thanks, I looked through that thread and got an Idea on what I needed to do, Ive got it knocking very seldom now with just some phatom knock here and there but I appriciate the help