Notices
ECU Flash

Figured it out: Low boost false knock (aka low boost flutter)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure downpipe/exhaust isn't touching anything.
It could be related to timing, could you post:
timing map
EGR enabled advance map
ignition trim vs air temp map

or a log of this happening with timing and AFR logged
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by domyz
This must be an annoying problem if "drop boost on high knock" is activated in tephra v7. Knock doesn't have the time to decay from cruise situation and spool is retarded.

Start by mounting it on something thick and soft.
This has been discussed here and will help with your problem:

(left is minimum load for boost control, right is knock load(knock ignored under these load values)
I have been following the comments here to see if my knock issues are related to this. I also have the 3 port BCS mounted against the frame rail. Its a Gruppe-S, but I don't recall having any issues this way before my build so I never bothered insulating it. Now I am getting desperate for clues for my knock. Are the folks here that have had knock logging and then padded the BCS and the knock went logging went away. I am not seeing that evidence in the posts. Did I miss something.

I do not have a tephra ROM, but I do have this table, but shown in a %. Any comments here? Your load kpa I get, but these percents I don't.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The %'s are load
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
The %'s are load
Really, 48.1 load? As in just 50 load in my logs. If those are not stock values, which I think they are, then I don't know how I would have came up with that at some point.

Raptord, do you know of anyone that solved rampant knock values by insulating the BCS?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fireroasted
Really, 48.1 load? As in just 50 load in my logs. If those are not stock values, which I think they are, then I don't know how I would have came up with that at some point.

Raptord, do you know of anyone that solved rampant knock values by insulating the BCS?
You're right fireroasted, this thread was first about knock, but at some point we talked about BCS clicking noise that is annoying....
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fireroasted

At a quick glance they look like stock values. Mine is similar.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my downpipe and exhaust dont touch anything. its gotta be something but i cant figure out what causes it. many people in this forum have the same problems but i read on but still nothing is definite. will someone help?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is the thread title "figured it out" ? Read through it all and no one's figured anything out lol. Trying to solve a possible false knock situation on my car that's worsened over the last couple months or so, previously didn't have an issue so I'm thinking whatever's setting it off is real, no idea what though. I've run the car up with DET cans though and the engine is not knocking.

Just getting knock when free revving the engine when stationary (clutch in and clutch out) and when it reaches 70-80-90 load or so and into low boost. Also getting knock on shift and decel, getting 1-2 counts at 10-20 load at <3000 rpm which is really confusing me. It's not the 3-port clicking, unplugged it and made no difference.

My thread is here if anyone's got any ideas: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ng-causes.html

Last edited by EvocentriK; Jun 19, 2013 at 09:51 AM.