iPad + EcuFLash ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
*stretch*

The old timers still live.

My libmut code is still floating around and open source. It would be really, really easy to port that to a micro controller. That world has gotten a lot friendlier in the intervening 10 years. Somebody could very easily build an esp32 or esp8266 firmware and have a good scanner/reflasher for a few bucks that can log and talk to an ipad. All the info is there. It _could_ be a single weekend project, but I don't one of these cars anymore.

d
Thanks for putting that code together! Its funny you should mention that because i literally have 2 esp32's sitting on my desk right now and thats almost exactly what I want to do with them. The Torque android app has some instructions for getting it talking to an arduino that I want to try and modify to work with the esp32 since it has dual cores, 3 hardware UARTs, and bluetooth built in. I'm still piecing together the hardware, and I'm just self learning how to do this stuff so its going to take more then a weekend, but these kind of projects are what motivate me to learn. I already put together arduino code to read the serial data stream from my Zeitronix ZT2 so ill probably get that working with torque first but pulling mut data into torque is my ultimate end goal.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
T i literally have 2 esp32's sitting on my desk right now and thats almost exactly what I want to do with them. The Torque android app has some instructions for getting it talking to an arduino that I want to try and modify to work with the esp32 since it has dual cores, 3 hardware UARTs, and bluetooth built in. I'm still piecing together the hardware, and I'm just self learning how to do this stuff so its going to take more then a weekend, but these kind of projects are what motivate me to learn. I already put together arduino code to read the serial data stream from my Zeitronix ZT2 so ill probably get that working with torque first but pulling mut data into torque is my ultimate end goal.
After playing around for quite a while, I am a much bigger fan of the IDF sdk than arduino for that platform. Here's some code that I use to collect shock velocity data on my lotus.

https://github.com/donour/racepi/tre...shockhistogram

The BT and wifi radios are pretty reliable. The esp32 has massive amounts of cpu power, so long as you don't need to do double precision float work. The onboard uart should be perfect for talking to your obdii adapter. I memory services, the only trick is pulling RTS line at 5 baud.

d
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:45 PM

After playing around for quite a while, I am a much bigger fan of the IDF sdk than arduino for that platform. Here's some code that I use to collect shock velocity data on my lotus.

https://github.com/donour/racepi/tre...shockhistogram

The BT and wifi radios are pretty reliable. The esp32 has massive amounts of cpu power, so long as you don't need to do double precision float work. The onboard uart should be perfect for talking to your obdii adapter. I memory services, the only trick is pulling RTS line at 5 baud.

d
Thank you for the tips! Based on your github we have some pretty similar interests. I have a bunch of Pi's around my house doing all kinds of different things. Your racepi looks really cool! I figured there would be at least a few traps/gotchas in getting the esp32 working, and im really grateful for the info. If/when i get this working I was planning on sharing everything with the community in a how-to (no profit motive here), it would be awesome if you would be open to letting me pick your brain if/when i do run into some speed bumps. Generally i like figuring stuff out for myself though so there wouldn't be any hand holding type stuff (hopefully) .

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Nov 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 01:05 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Logging with my iPad (and mounting in the dash) would be SO much easier than having my laptop sliding all over the interior of the car.

A friend of mine uses a tablet or iPad (I forget which) as his dash/gauge cluster. It's a pretty sweet setup.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Logging with my iPad (and mounting in the dash) would be SO much easier than having my laptop sliding all over the interior of the car.

A friend of mine uses a tablet or iPad (I forget which) as his dash/gauge cluster. It's a pretty sweet setup.
I got a kindle fire a while ago when i thought Evoscan might get ported. It never happened but its still waiting to be used as a gauge cluster. Torque looks* like a nice developed front end for android. I don't know if there is something comparable for apple?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 03:17 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I got a kindle fire a while ago when i thought Evoscan might get ported. It never happened but its still waiting to be used as a gauge cluster. Torque looks* like a nice developed front end for android. I don't know if there is something comparable for apple?
I'm looking in the app store right now. There are a few. OBD Fusion looks VERY similar to Torque and promising, despite sounding like a strip-mall restaurant.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm looking in the app store right now. There are a few. OBD Fusion looks VERY similar to Torque and promising, despite sounding like a strip-mall restaurant.
Ill check it out and see if interfacing will be possible.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the tips! Based on your github we have some pretty similar interests. I have a bunch of Pi's around my house doing all kinds of different things. Your racepi looks really cool! I figured there would be at least a few traps/gotchas in getting the esp32 working, and im really grateful for the info. If/when i get this working I was planning on sharing everything with the community in a how-to (no profit motive here), it would be awesome if you would be open to letting me pick your brain if/when i do run into some speed bumps. Generally i like figuring stuff out for myself though so there wouldn't be any hand holding type stuff (hopefully) .
No problem. Find my contact info from my github page. Email is usually the best way to reach me.

d
Old Nov 6, 2018, 01:13 PM

No problem. Find my contact info from my github page. Email is usually the best way to reach me.

d
awesome, will do, thanks.