ECU Flash

V7 PSI based boost control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple questions for you guys as I'm in the process of dialing in my setup:

Boost Adder: Do you use your local atmospheric pressure here? Default was 18

Boost Desired Engine PSI Table: Mine maxes out at 37.5, is that the max boost I'm able to run or do I compensate w/ the boost adder table? Targeting 42psi on my setup

BCS Re/De-Activation RPM: Not really sure how to set this up, wording doesn't make much sense. Does this dictate when the boost solenoid is active? If so, which ones would I modify for boost control up to 9000rpm.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
About Boost Adder and BDE:

Take your local atmospheric pressure and add it to your target boost level. So say you're at sea level, your local a.p. should be around 14.7. Add that to your target boost level, 42, and you get 56.7. So your boost adder table + BDE table added together need to give you 56.7. BDE maxes out at 37.5 as you said, so you'll need to use the boost adder to get you the rest of the way.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
About Boost Adder and BDE:

Take your local atmospheric pressure and add it to your target boost level. So say you're at sea level, your local a.p. should be around 14.7. Add that to your target boost level, 42, and you get 56.7. So your boost adder table + BDE table added together need to give you 56.7. BDE maxes out at 37.5 as you said, so you'll need to use the boost adder to get you the rest of the way.
Thanks, anyone know about the BCS Re/De-Activation RPM? Looking at some pulls that I did yesterday it appears that the BCS stopped controlling boost after 7500 rpm as my boost started creeping there. I won't be able to test for a little while as I blew out the gasket between the turbo/manifold.

Last edited by Creamo3; Jan 16, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It probably stopped due to the scaling ending at 7500.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
Thanks, anyone know about the BCS Re/De-Activation RPM? Looking at some pulls that I did yesterday it appears that the BCS stopped controlling boost after 7500 rpm as my boost started creeping there. I won't be able to test for a little while as I blew out the gasket between the turbo/manifold.
Put the de-activate RPM higher then your redline RPM.

What happens, is when the BCS "de-activates", it goes to 100% WGDC. Thats why you saw the boost creep.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Benja
It probably stopped due to the scaling ending at 7500.
I've re-scaled all boost tables to 9500 rpm.

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Put the de-activate RPM higher then your redline RPM.

What happens, is when the BCS "de-activates", it goes to 100% WGDC. Thats why you saw the boost creep.
Thanks dude!! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple of questions as im going to ditch my Truboost and go with a Grimmspeed,

I should turn all the corrections off while im tuning my WGDC to be around the target boost levels correct?

Then once thats done i can enable to corrections which will then target my Desired Load table correct?

The Load per Gear table, i have a 5 speed so do i just focus on the tables from 1-5 being 0 is neutral?

Cheers guys
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yep thats the way Widge, zero out the error correction table, dial in your WGDC table for each gear, then map the desired load against the cells you're hitting and throw in the correction settings again.

Be aware though I had to use MUCH milder correction values with the 3 port as it's much more responsive.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Ok sounds good,

So if i have to higher correction adjustments i will get boost flucteration, so thats not too hard to dial out just keep decresing the correction values till it gets solid.

So the way it works would be lower duty cycle in higher gears?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yep exactly.
I pretty much used the example correction table of mrfred's from Merlins PDF.
Just had to fine tune it a bit but it was close to being on the money.
Also found it's best to map your target load a touch under the load the car is hitting as it does a better job of raising boost to meet target load than it does reducing. Well in 5.10 anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet as its all good pretty self explanitory,

ATM im using a AEM Truboost and its terrible now ive got a t3 turbo, it carrys on between 23-27psi and i can never get it to hold steady so ECU based boost control seems the way to go
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Is it common (and correct) to tune the BDE table so that it closely follows your boost curve during spool up, like the 2 examples posted? Alot of the tutorials Ive read show peak target boost (or load) levels all the way from 500-peak boost.

Ive got my boost curve pretty much where I want with correction disabled. Once I turn it on, Its adding WGDC during spool and overboosting, then pulling it back to where it should be. I lowered my low rpm desired psi similar to the examples posted and it seems to have helped, but the condition is still there. Now Ive lowered the correction and will see what that does today with my previous BDE psi table.

Im basically wondering if there is any loss in spool by not having the desired psi as high as possible as early as possible.

If following your boost curve is the correct way, how much over logged boost are you shooting for?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by charlie.tunah
Is it common (and correct) to tune the BDE table so that it closely follows your boost curve during spool up, like the 2 examples posted? Alot of the tutorials Ive read show peak target boost (or load) levels all the way from 500-peak boost.

Ive got my boost curve pretty much where I want with correction disabled. Once I turn it on, Its adding WGDC during spool and overboosting, then pulling it back to where it should be. I lowered my low rpm desired psi similar to the examples posted and it seems to have helped, but the condition is still there. Now Ive lowered the correction and will see what that does today with my previous BDE psi table.

Im basically wondering if there is any loss in spool by not having the desired psi as high as possible as early as possible.

If following your boost curve is the correct way, how much over logged boost are you shooting for?
Make sure your Max Total Upward WGDC Correction table is set to all zero's. This, combined with setting your target boost from 500 rpm all the way up to your peak boost the same like you noticed, will prevent the ECU from trying to create its own WGDC path during spoolup and will simply use your BWGDC curve. This prevents the ECU from making any corrections at all during spoolup. I hope that made sense lol.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_trades)

Attached Thumbnails V7 PSI based boost control-evom_sample.jpg  
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
This, combined with setting your target boost from 500 rpm all the way up to your peak boost
So in my case, since Im targetting 24 peak, I should set my BDE psi table to 24 from 500-3500. Correct? (my adder is 14.7, and Im pretty much at sea level).

Err correction is 10 all the way through spool and into normal boost, then tapers down up top. Even though its running 27psi when Im calling for 24. With no err correction, it hits 24-25 and falls to 21 at redline.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that and see what happens. But I had read that this table was the max upward correction the ecu will use. So with it at all zeros, will it ever add wgdc for normal correction? Honestly, no upward correction wouldnt be the worst thing.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by charlie.tunah
So in my case, since Im targetting 24 peak, I should set my BDE psi table to 24 from 500-3500. Correct? (my adder is 14.7, and Im pretty much at sea level).

Err correction is 10 all the way through spool and into normal boost, then tapers down up top. Even though its running 27psi when Im calling for 24. With no err correction, it hits 24-25 and falls to 21 at redline.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that and see what happens. But I had read that this table was the max upward correction the ecu will use. So with it at all zeros, will it ever add wgdc for normal correction? Honestly, no upward correction wouldnt be the worst thing.
It will never add more WGDC than is listed under your BWGDC table. If it lowers WGDC at any point, it will still raise it back up if it needs to, it just wont exceed your base WGDC...ever. Try this before going any further with your overboosting issue.

Quick Reply: V7 PSI based boost control