Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do. Thanks man.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Worked great! Thanks again. Now I just need to dial in the rpm/mph for gear based control.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Looking at logs from this morning and there is no correction when there should have been. Just realized the scalings for both adder and BDE were set to Kavlico 3.5 bar, not Omni4bar.

Should see some correction tomorrow. Its a good thing the WGDC table is close and no upward correction is being used. I think it was targetting around 30psi.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:49 PM

GM 3 port

HELP!! Please

I have a 3 port gm solenoid. running v7 speed density ron psi based control.

My wgdc is around 22 % to control boost even in some way shape or form. Why is it so low.
i do have a big turbo mind u.

Im running a external tial bov.
Ive seen a few different posts on how to set up but i need some more help please as i think everything is messed up..
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with a WGDC at 22%. If that's what's required to keep your boost under control then that's fine.
I have a stock evo 8 and my WGDC is around 68% once it's spooled up, so I don't think 22% is wrong.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

It will have a lot to do with the spring in the wastegate. If its a stiff spring, then less WGDC will be required.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

And the efficiency/backpressure of the setup.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

I need a hand interpreting some data. I'm new to this and would like to get a better understanding of my current tune.

running TephraMOD-96530706-v7.xml
Grimmspeed 3 port.

1. Which scaling s/b selected for "Boost Desired Engine 'PSI'". I'm guessing mine is wrong because of 7.4 values.

2. Under Global Boost Control Type
Variable For Boost Control shows 898A, which would be Load based.
If that's the case why does the Main Map Boost Control Settings/Boost Desired Engine Load table have 0 values.

LMK if you need additional screen shots.

thanks in advance.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

The PSI and load based control tables both share the same location on the ROM, so if one is disabled, they both are. The fact that your BDEL load table is all zeroes means that you've got ECU based boost control disabled completely. You have what looks like a tuned base WGDC table which is fine for a bit, it's the first part of properly tuning ECU controlled boost.

While it may work fine now, the way it's set up means that the ECU won't be able to compensate for changes in temperature and air pressure (for boost that is).
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

thanks dparrish

1. How can I interpolate the WGDC values to determine amount of Boost I'm currently running?
I was told @ time of tune max is 26 PSI which pretty much correlates with gauge readings and a few logs I ran.

2. What would I need to do to enable ECU controlled Boost?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

1. You just have to log and see what works Every car is different. 66 wgdc gives me 22 psi from 5000-7500 (IR solenoid, stock turbo/wg), but everyone will be slightly different.

2. You are using ECU controlled boost, maybe not using Error Correction.

The scaling of all of the psi based tables (error correction, BDE, and adder) should be set to the map sensor you are using. Edit the map definitions (both tabs) to reflect your map sensor and the numbers should match up.

side note...I have noticed that the load based tables do change if the psi tables are changed
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks charlie, Any way for me to physically check sensor to determine what it is?

I bought the car with grimmspeed on it, so I have no idea which sensor was used.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

The omni map sensor has the logo that looks like a hand holding the word omni in the middle. No clue on the others. Are you logging boost? If you are, then you should already know what it is so that the eval in Evoscan is correct.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

yes I am, Don't have log in front of me or Evoscan in front of me.
I'll check later.

Setting this up is like pulling teeth.

You guys have been really helpful, thanks again.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

It can be. But once all the scalings are correct and you start zeroing in on your target wgdc values, it starts to click and just make sense. It looks like your wgdc is tuned. But error correction (target PSI or load) isnt.

-Get the scalings for the 3 (4 including alt maps) psi tables to match your map sensor.
-Set up the tables for psi-based boost control.
-set Max Upward WGDC correction to all 0s (see below. You may not need to do this if your WGDC is not more than what it really takes to hit target boost during spool, looks like yours isnt)
-set your target BDE psi tables to your boost curve
-Carefully go out and test it out. If it ever goes above/below your target boost, then either Error Correction or WGDC will need to be adjusted. Assuming you hit your target values with all Error Correction zeroed out, then Error Correction is what needs to be tuned if you arent hitting your target.
-Then keep fine tuning it.

Another side note, Im running 100 wgdc until right before my target boost is hit. With the Max upward correction zeroed out, it simply runs wdgc unless it overboosts, then starts to correct it back. Im now within .5-1 psi after messing with correction more. And basically only using error correction for overboost conditions, then to bring it back up to target if it overcorrects.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; Aug 17, 2011 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: V7 PSI based boost control