Notices
ECU Flash

Evo 9 ECU bricked?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 ECU bricked?

I was flashing some map updates to my ROM with ECUFlash when it failed in the middle. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't connect (no response to any known code). However, that didn't necessarily mean anything because I have a small battery and always have to initiate the flashing with my car running, and now it won't start.

The bigger problem started when I realized I couldn't connect even just for logging (which has never been battery voltage dependent) from EvoScan. I then tried my OBD2 scanner tool, and that also wouldn't connect. I checked the pins of the OBD2 port and all the fuses. I tried reflashing again with a regular size battery connected, still nothing.

I attached the ECUFlash log from the original failed write, but I also noticed something unfortunate in it. When I was investigating this, I mostly saw that non-X owners didn't seem to ever really brick their ECUs and just needed to charge their battery, retry the flashing, or had some other issue. It seems like this is due to the bootloader code used for flashing not living in the ROM, so it never has a chance to get overwritten. It then occurred to me that the one thing that _could_ cause a problem in the ROM was the Init Code. Its address in the Evo 9 ROM is 0x3ffcc. The ECUFlash log seems to indicate that it's clearing "pages" of 0x10000 bytes at a time, then writing the ROM in smaller chunks. My write failure occurred after 0x30000 was cleared, but before the segment including 0x3ffcc was written. I assume that means my Init Code is now 0000. I thought maybe that would mean that the ECU Unlocker would work but it also didn't (reading from EvoScan and entering a custom Init Code of 0000 also didn't work). However, it's not clear why other general OBD2 communication wouldn't work, since normally locked tunes still allow logging. Maybe 0x30000 also contains code that handles OBD2?

Some other background info that probably isn't relevant:
- I'm using a tactrix 1.3U cable.
- I'm using a tephra ROM (88590715) which has been fine through multiple other modifications.

So does anyone know of a way to recover from this? Or did I find a way to actually brick an Evo 9 ECU? In the meantime I'm ordering another ECU and will try to move on with that.

Thanks
Attached Files
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you have an Voltage issue use a Battery Booster. Conect the Booster. Turn Ignition on and Press flash/ok instant.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have a small battery and have always had to initiate flashing with the car running. However, I tried jumping with another fully charged battery and it still won't flash. Also, even with voltage issues before, I've never had an issue logging or getting a general OBD2 connection.