Notices
ECU Flash

Android/Bluetooth logger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Android/Bluetooth logger?

Ever since I got my Nexus One a while back, I have been wanting to learn how to write apps for Android. I have all of the dev tools on my desktop and I have read many dev reference manuals and have begun teaching myself.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to write an OBD/MUT logger. Perhaps even DMA if I am successful in actual doing anything.

At first I was thinking about writing it for the Tactrix cable (since we all have it) using an FTDI Java wrapper that I found. But, since the Android phones don't natively support USB host (there are hacks and ways to get it to work), I wondered about Bluetooth for wireless logging.

In my brief research on the subject, I have already come across some source code for an OBD logger using a bluetooth OBD connector. So, in theory, we could have completely wireless logging on our Android phones (as long as the phone and bluetooth ODB connector are compatible).

So, that's basically where I stand right now. My next steps would be to purchase or build a Bluetooth OBD connector (there are some already made for ~$50, so I may just buy one). But, I was wondering how many people would be interested in something like this? I personally don't need it because I have a CarPC in my car, but the majority of people carry around their laptops and Tactrix cables to log, etc. So, I'm thinking that a mobile/Android platform and wirelss via Bluetooth would be pretty cool???

Either way, I *might* just start on this project. I have to start digging up all of the old threads and info on the MUT protocol, init, etc, but if I have any free time here and there, I think I will give it a go. I'm definitely not promising anything, but if I can get something working, I will post up any details here.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 30, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
totally interested yeah.
i've got a desire on the new froyo 2.2 android processing is rapid
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am always down to try new logging stuff Eric...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eric if u need the code from my app... it includes mut and dma code let me know mate. i have a samsung galaxy s so it runs android
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, ziad. I'm pretty sure I have your source code. So, I will look at the MUT logging.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm about to go Android with an HTC Evo! I'm interested!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have an HTC Evo and with the size of the screen, It would work pretty good as a logger.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Eric, have you seen acamus' "BlueMUT" project?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-cellular.html
http://www.myrollingroad.com/showthread.php?t=126

Schematics at the first link, build-up of the device in the second.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the HTC EVO that would be cool to use. Keep us posted on what you have come up with.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
Eric, have you seen acamus' "BlueMUT" project?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-cellular.html
http://www.myrollingroad.com/showthread.php?t=126

Schematics at the first link, build-up of the device in the second.
Thanks for reminding me...I do remember seeing that way back when. His steps to init MUT should help. But, I think I have everything I will need so far (minus my Android programming abilities)

I was thinking about using this bluetooth adapter...for $50, it's worth a short:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921

And just for reference, this is a site that explains how to build an interface.

This is the site with the Android source code for a bluetooth OBD logger that I will be using as a starting point to hopefully add in MUT logging. The above adapter supposedly works without a problem with this program, so once I get it I will test it out on the Evo. If all is well, I will begin to *attempt* to write some code for the MUT logging.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Aug 2, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

had a look at code... ahh java is simple like vb but slightly better. anyway what is strange is why he is saving it via appache to a sql database.... why not a simple text file..... actually havent looked at the code that much maybe i am wrong.

anyway i dont want to look more, incase i get intrested, should fix livemap first....

tephra can u please fix dma on 8MR so i have incentive to finish the code.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That will be great if you create the app I have the G1 and I was going to get the Nexus one but I have a Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S on the way 16gb built in memory
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ziad
...anyway what is strange is why he is saving it via appache to a sql database.... why not a simple text file...
Yeah I noticed that the first time I took a look, too. Without looking into it any deeper, I am just assuming that he was giving a way to upload the data to a web server rather than keep it local to the device?

With the internal storage and SD card storage on devices these days, I don't think there will be a space issue to keeping the data in local text files.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

actually that sounds reasonable... i mean u hookup a web browser and download the file... or better yet would have been a tcp connection builtin the program to be able to push or pull the files from the phone via a computer progam.

the only thinking is if the BT obd plugs can change their BAUD rates
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I was thinking about using this bluetooth adapter...for $50, it's worth a short
Not bad at all! Just a warning: since that unit is based on ELM, it'll only do OBD-II (ie. you'll communicate with it via a somewhat dumbed-down AT-style protocol, rather than talking to the k/l lines directly; see the datasheet for details). Good stuff if OBD-II (or CAN) is what you had in mind, but if you want to do MUT (or the DMA extensions), I don't believe you'll be able to do it with that: you won't be able to set an appropriate baud rate, and I don't think there's any support in the protocol for bit-banging the 5 baud init (it "does it for you", ala the AT command set).

(If memory serves, that's why acamus built his own bluetooth interface. Personally, I keep thinking a micro-based device with the physical OBD-II interface and a wi-fi chipset running a slim web service would be the way to go here - ie. OpenPort 2.0 with a little more RAM and a wi-fi interface instead of USB - but I don't have enough round tuits. :P)

Quick Reply: Android/Bluetooth logger?