Notices
ECU Flash

My Ignition tables doesn't match up with EVOscan datalogs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ignition tables doesn't match up with EVOscan datalogs

Hi guys,

Over the last couple of weeks i've been playing around with my EVO 8 MR. The tuning process has been relatively easy, thanks to all the resources and post from evolutionm

I've got an issue with my ignition tables in ecuflash and evoscan datalogs. I have notice the Timing Advance column in the datalogs doesn't correlates with my ignition tables. As pictured, im running around 16-17 deg of timing up top. In my logs, it only register 11-13 deg. Shouldn't my logs be similar to my ignition map?

Here is a my ignition table in ecuflash

I've turned the boost down to 20 psi. A/f 11.7 - 12:0

Any help would be appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: zip
3rdgear.zip (9.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

What load are you data logging? Loadcalc? 1 byte? 2 byte?

If you are logging loadcalc that may be throwing you off a bit.

Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
What load are you data logging? Loadcalc? 1 byte? 2 byte?

If you are logging loadcalc that may be throwing you off a bit.

Im just using loadcal. Which one should i be using?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Either 1byte or 2byte would be an improvement.

I suggest you move up to the Tephra V7 ROM, as it has 1byte load already implemented. You will really like the big maps as well.

Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Either 1byte or 2byte would be an improvement.

I suggest you move up to the Tephra V7 ROM, as it has 1byte load already implemented. You will really like the big maps as well.

I did try Tephra v7. Car ran funny, but i give it another go

Benny
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you checked the "Upper Boundary Ignition Map" (or whatever it's called in your definitions)?

I recently had a similar issue with my RA map/logging interpretation - the upper boundary map was limiting the timing value being used. It was still full of factory values.

Was initially a problem for me, as (a) I didn't even know it existed --noob--, and (b) it wasn't defined in my EcuFlash XML. Once both of those were rectified, everything made a lot more sense!!

If this is what's going on, you'll be able to increase the upper boundary values to get more headroom. Not all in one hit, obviously... 7 degrees advancement is a pretty big jump! :P

On the RA, I ended up copying all of the "boundary-limited" cell values from the upper boundary map into the high octane ignition map, so I could see the real values being used all in one place. Then I increased the relevant upper boundary map cells a few degrees to get headroom for future tuning. It was a fiddly PITA to do, but it was safe.

Rich

PS. If you're working through the same ECU learning curve stuff, this thread might have some useful info... it contains lots of help and advice from some of the very bright people on this forum...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ng-tuning.html

Last edited by richardjh; Nov 29, 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed dodgy link.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by richardjh
Have you checked the "Upper Boundary Ignition Map" (or whatever it's called in your definitions)?

I recently had a similar issue with my RA map/logging interpretation - the upper boundary map was limiting the timing value being used. It was still full of factory values.

Was initially a problem for me, as (a) I didn't even know it existed --noob--, and (b) it wasn't defined in my EcuFlash XML. Once both of those were rectified, everything made a lot more sense!!

If this is what's going on, you'll be able to increase the upper boundary values to get more headroom. Not all in one hit, obviously... 7 degrees advancement is a pretty big jump! :P

On the RA, I ended up copying all of the "boundary-limited" cell values from the upper boundary map into the high octane ignition map, so I could see the real values being used all in one place. Then I increased the relevant upper boundary map cells a few degrees to get headroom for future tuning. It was a fiddly PITA to do, but it was safe.

Rich

PS. If you're working through the same ECU learning curve stuff, this thread might have some useful info... it contains lots of help and advice from some of the very bright people on this forum...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ng-tuning.html
evos 7-9 dont have a timing limitation map like CAN ecu's do .
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hediki12
evos 7-9 dont have a timing limitation map like CAN ecu's do .

Rich
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:47 AM

I still have this issue. Do you guys reckon it could be the ecu flash program itself? Or my definition?

Im abit puzzle why my logs doesnt match my ROM. I've made the switch to 1 byte load

I notice its 6-8 deg less in the evoscan logs compared to my ignition timing ROM

I don't think there is anything wrong with my evoscan as i've tried mitsu log and it shows the similar logs
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a lot of timing your running if it's pump fuel, are you getting any knock?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatboyz39
Im just using loadcal. Which one should i be using?
I think you should start here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...te-thread.html
Get your MUT table setup and start logging 2-byte load...this will allow you to pinpoint exactly where you are on the map (load vs rpm)
What's your ROM ID?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Its one of these 3 reason:

-Your not logging load correctly and therefore not in the cells you think you are.

-Your getting knock and the ECU is pulling timing.

-Your air temps are high and the "Air Temp vs Timing trim" map is coming into play and pulling timing.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by burgers22
That's a lot of timing your running if it's pump fuel, are you getting any knock?
Im on E85. No knocks recorded

Originally Posted by raasfaas
I think you should start here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...te-thread.html
Get your MUT table setup and start logging 2-byte load...this will allow you to pinpoint exactly where you are on the map (load vs rpm)
What's your ROM ID?
ROM ID - 96260009

How do i setup 2 byte load for that ROM ID?

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Its one of these 3 reason:

-Your not logging load correctly and therefore not in the cells you think you are.

-Your getting knock and the ECU is pulling timing.

-Your air temps are high and the "Air Temp vs Timing trim" map is coming into play and pulling timing.
Im on 1 byte load at the moment. That should be accurate?

I might get one or two knocksum at most. I dont think it should be pulling 6-8 deg of timing

Ill have a close eye on the air temp. What air temp should i be keeping an eye on?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fatboyz39
Im on E85. No knocks recorded

ROM ID - 96260009

How do i setup 2 byte load for that ROM ID?

Im on 1 byte load at the moment. That should be accurate?

I might get one or two knocksum at most. I dont think it should be pulling 6-8 deg of timing

Ill have a close eye on the air temp. What air temp should i be keeping an eye on?
Yes, 1byte should be accurate, if the 2byte to 1byte factor is the same in the ROM and in EVOscan. Check and make sure it is.

1 or 2 knock sum should not pull 6-8degrees, so its not that.

Last, there is a "Ignition Trim vs Air Temp" table in each ROM. It pulls timing based on intake air temps. It looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails My Ignition tables doesn't match up with EVOscan datalogs-untitled.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay, so zeroing out the Ignition Trim vs Air Temp table means that the car would always run based on the timing map no matter what the int. air temps are right.

Quick Reply: My Ignition tables doesn't match up with EVOscan datalogs