ECU Flash

How to tune 800whp

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainturbo
Off topic kinda...

So this is probably a really basic question and I just don't know where to look, but how do you guys tune load that high? With my setup I'm hitting loads in the high 300s, beyond what is listed in the ecu, so I'm not sure what to do to tune those higher loads.

I'm not even sure why I'm hitting that much load, my car according to the virtual dyno isn't making that much power...
Depends on MAF or SD (these are all SD and load becomes irrelevant). If its MAF, turbo size, intake filter design, and possible boost leaks all can cause high load.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
What's wrong with extremely wicked?

But yes, agreed, I'm sure that at that power level, 3rd and 4th go by so fast, that timing curve gets exponentially "wicked".
No rest for the wicked actually seems to apply to something car related lol

Seems to work good for traction control and happens fast enough EGT doesnt move to fast or at all. My car I have taken MIVEC out, some timing, all in the pursuit to maintain traction. Need to run my R Comps all the time if it wont sort itself out. I'd never do something so simple as drop the boost
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
next time you need something like this go to google.com and type in your question followed by evom after it and it will categorize every thread on the forum for you with your questions already answered.

like: site:forums.evolutionm.net how to rescale map evom

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+site...de53b2ade8e603

so maybe your maf needs rescaled or the screen is no longer in it etc. can make it ready higher then normal.
Thanks for the info. That's the first time someone has said "search", but actually done it in a way that provided me a better way than what I've already been trying!

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Depends on MAF or SD (these are all SD and load becomes irrelevant). If its MAF, turbo size, intake filter design, and possible boost leaks all can cause high load.
So that makes sense, SD vs MAF. I put the car back together after it was stripped by someone while I was out of town, adding a new turbo (not that big, but T3 sized) and a new intake & filter design, so that could be why my load is reading so much higher than it was before, even at about the same power levels. I should do a good boost check again, I know it's good for vacuum leaks, but haven't checked lately for boost now that I'm pushing the pressure up a lot.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
What? Negative timing??? Ok, I just learned something.

Or maybe its something with the mivec that I just don't know about...

OP thanks very much though for all the help you give self tuners. On this thread and others.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:26 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
What? Negative timing??? Ok, I just learned something.

Or maybe its something with the mivec that I just don't know about...

OP thanks very much though for all the help you give self tuners. On this thread and others.
I think Aaron mentioned that the car lites up the street tires so timing was low (real low) at peak TQ. Conversely, Aaron whats the most timing (peak TQ) a built motor can handle (and likes) on a 2.0 with 9.0 comp. on C16? I know these things vary but would like your opinion if you dont mind sharing
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Good info... and CRAZY SAND TRUCK lol
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice power, but why go to all that detuning work to get traction when you can use RPM and gear based boost? It would put less stress and heat into everything.

This log shows pretty well how lacking the speed of evoscan is. Time to start using that DMA logger if you want meaning full data. It is better then the Hydra though. On an 800HP car, a 4th gear pull ends up with 500 RPM steps between data.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Load is what it is based on MAP values instead of MAF values. If this car were on a MAF the load would be higher than I can guess. I would presume Mellon can answer the load at 38psi on the 2.3 he has?

aaron
Mellon never had a 2.3 i do though, and i seen over 500 LOAD with no maf screen.

I plan on beating mellons maf mph record when i take my car to the track hopefully. I will take it there with 42-45psi.
JB, at 38psi on my old 9:1 setup IIRC it did 460 load, at 44psi it did 493 peak. I don't recall going over 500 load but it's been awhile since I've looked. Currently I'm on 93 octane at 600awhp on the new 10: setup and 365 load for reference. I haven't tried e85 yet.

tscomp, I think that record can be broken. I was at 705awhp at the time and boiling the tires and bouncing badly. It should have trapped mid 140's but I only got 3 passes on that setup and our track was closed.

I heard yesterday that the track was purchased and so it may re-open next year. I've got some D2 coilovers and a fresh engine but the clutch/tranny is acting up so who knows when I'll get to try again. It's hard to get the stars to align just right sometimes.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

No rest for the wicked actually seems to apply to something car related lol

Seems to work good for traction control and happens fast enough EGT doesnt move to fast or at all. My car I have taken MIVEC out, some timing, all in the pursuit to maintain traction. Need to run my R Comps all the time if it wont sort itself out. I'd never do something so simple as drop the boost
Dropping boost isnt even an option
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
JB, at 38psi on my old 9:1 setup IIRC it did 460 load, at 44psi it did 493 peak. I don't recall going over 500 load but it's been awhile since I've looked. Currently I'm on 93 octane at 600awhp on the new 10: setup and 365 load for reference. I haven't tried e85 yet.

tscomp, I think that record can be broken. I was at 705awhp at the time and boiling the tires and bouncing badly. It should have trapped mid 140's but I only got 3 passes on that setup and our track was closed.

I heard yesterday that the track was purchased and so it may re-open next year. I've got some D2 coilovers and a fresh engine but the clutch/tranny is acting up so who knows when I'll get to try again. It's hard to get the stars to align just right sometimes.
ya my car is very well built, not much spinning at all only alittle in 2nd depending how slick the road is. its never been to the track tho so i cant say its going to be like that at the track. everything throughout the entire suspension is redone. bushings, wheels, tires, mounts, custom coils, etc.

max i hit was around 536 load looking at my old logs here with 42psi spiking. did you do any scaling of your maf at all? i didnt, so quite possibly thats why mine was hitting so high.

my car was burning quite a bit of oil at that high of boost level, but hopefully that is resolved by the crankcase ventilation system i recently installed. i expect 670-680 in kill mode now since this new motor has about 15psi more compression vs the last. first motor went to waste, trip from pa to oh and back it ran low on oil and spun a bearing. still the old engine at heart using the old rods, pistons etc though.

what are your goals with your new setup?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CMB
I think Aaron mentioned that the car lites up the street tires so timing was low (real low) at peak TQ. Conversely, Aaron whats the most timing (peak TQ) a built motor can handle (and likes) on a 2.0 with 9.0 comp. on C16? I know these things vary but would like your opinion if you dont mind sharing
im not aaron, but i will say thats a loaded question. depends on car, turbo, fuel, setup.. etc.. i can make my car hit peak torque at 6000rpm, or 4400rpm, etc.. just depends how its tuned and what the persons goals are for that specific car.

can make a early torque spike or make it hold flat until redline. the perfect tune would be making max torque throughout entire rpm of course.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LGshow19
Good info... and CRAZY SAND TRUCK lol
that sand trucks nuts huh? look at it being dynoed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQd_gkycZIU
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya my car is very well built, not much spinning at all only alittle in 2nd depending how slick the road is. its never been to the track tho so i cant say its going to be like that at the track. everything throughout the entire suspension is redone. bushings, wheels, tires, mounts, custom coils, etc.

max i hit was around 536 load looking at my old logs here with 42psi spiking. did you do any scaling of your maf at all? i didnt, so quite possibly thats why mine was hitting so high.

my car was burning quite a bit of oil at that high of boost level, but hopefully that is resolved by the crankcase ventilation system i recently installed. i expect 670-680 in kill mode now since this new motor has about 15psi more compression vs the last. first motor went to waste, trip from pa to oh and back it ran low on oil and spun a bearing. still the old engine at heart using the old rods, pistons etc though.

what are your goals with your new setup?
no maf scaling

same ole goal 9.99 @140+ in a really comfortable daily driver. It's funny, I went 10.41 @ 135 on 93 octane and 600awhp but with 700awhp on e85 I went 10.45 @ 139.8 to give you an idea how horrible the suspension/traction was. 100 more awhp and I still couldn't get it done pffft.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
no maf scaling

same ole goal 9.99 @140+ in a really comfortable daily driver. It's funny, I went 10.41 @ 135 on 93 octane and 600awhp but with 700awhp on e85 I went 10.45 @ 139.8 to give you an idea how horrible the suspension/traction was. 100 more awhp and I still couldn't get it done pffft.
damn. and your car had ok traction on the street right? thats why i dont wanna say nothing, because the track and street are two different animals.

i know you were taking some very fast/quick bikes with your car at 700whp.

hopefully you will sort out the clutch issues, that has to be a huge *****.. the transmissions more pain in the *** to pull then the entire engine imo.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

WTF is up with the tach on that sand truck it just goes to 7k and stays there.

Quick Reply: How to tune 800whp