ECU Flash

Load / fuel trim logging problem..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Load / fuel trim logging problem..

hi,

I am trying to remap a friends eudm evo 9.... It is an identical car to mine, but his has a set of kelford cams and used to have a VIPEC ecu... The ecu was thrown out due to inability of the original tuner to make the car work during the whole year.. I received the car on 660 cc siemens injectors and stock ECU..
However, when I tried to log fuel trims (to scale the injectors) I noticed Evoscan could not log the fueltrims, or load (or 2 byte load for that matter). It does log some other channels, and the car can be reflashed with no problem..

The same software and cable works perfectly on my car.. so I am wondering, could it be that some pin from the OBD is missing due the the first tuner working on the car before...
cheers

vlado
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe MUT adresses are wrong in your rom ?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you getting FB from the O2 sensor in Evoscan 0.1v to 0.9v? The Vipec does not have to use the narrowband O2 sensor, so check it's functioning is the first thing.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grayw
Are you getting FB from the O2 sensor in Evoscan 0.1v to 0.9v? The Vipec does not have to use the narrowband O2 sensor, so check it's functioning is the first thing.
the vipec was taken off the car.. it is on std ecu right now..

I log the O2 voltage (about 0.9 on idle) but I am getting nothing for fuel trim and even normal ECU load...

on my car, which is identical (both were bought by the same guy in 2006) everything works fine.. I put in the MUT codes for EUDM ROM for 2 byte load and I mapped my car succesfully like that..

this car, with 660 cc injectors and std map works sort of OK when in closed loop but starts cutting out above 4500 rpm..
I rescalled the injector size for start, and will plug in the wideband tommorow, but I am really puzzled with this lack of Load and fuel trim logging...
I'll do a screen shot tommorow, and try with mitsulogger
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

here is a short log, idle with a little blip.. you can easily see which items are missing..

O2 voltage is visible (I was wrong, it is not around 0.9...)
Attached Files
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I just pulled a short log from my car ,and fuel trims are all there..

weird..
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need to go for a 15 - 20 min trip after reflashing your car for the LTFT to be re-populated. You can log them after.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I just pulled a short log from my car ,and fuel trims are all there..

weird..
If you are getting O2 feedback at idle, then the idle trim should start to cycle after about 4 minutes, Everytime the IX ECU is reflashed the trims reset.
As already said, leave it to idle for about 16 minutes so the idle trim cycles around 4 times (most it should need). Repeat the same for the cruise trim by keeping it in closed loop while driving (off boost).
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

you are right of course.. I forgot that I reflashed the ECU before plugging in evoscan.. I'll try that...

not logging ECU load and 2byte load is my next concern..
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

ok, more help nedeed..

I tried driving for a while today, and no luck... fuel trims are always 0...

also, there is no airflow and load.. ???

I am attaching a short log from my car + the log from the problem car, and it is clearly shown that the problem one doesn't log fuel trims, airflow and ecu load..

My sneaking suspicion is that ECU doesn't see the MAF due to some work on the installation from the previous tuner when he installed the VIPEC V44 on the car.. could I be right... ?

The car doesn't drive well and cuts off at about 4500 RPM.. sounds to me like limp home mode.. ?

Also, can the original ECU support 12 ohm injectors? as it has them on right now.. EDITED IN: no, it can't, I need to bypass the injector resistor pack or get OE injectors/ low resistance injectors...

thanks for any help.

vlado
Attached Files

Last edited by kikiturbo; Dec 23, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

The Vipec IAT and MAP sensor inputs are feed through from the MAF wiring, so it's indeed possible there could be a break in the wire. It also has configurable inputs, so some of the pins may have been swapped.
It would be wise to check the wiring from the MAF plug and into the ECU, as the person who removed the other ECU may not have reconnected something.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grayw
The Vipec IAT and MAP sensor inputs are feed through from the MAF wiring, so it's indeed possible there could be a break in the wire. It also has configurable inputs, so some of the pins may have been swapped.
It would be wise to check the wiring from the MAF plug and into the ECU, as the person who removed the other ECU may not have reconnected something.
thanks for that info.. I had a quick look at the loom yesterday and the vipec MAP sensor is still there, and it is connected to the MAF plug..
The deal was for the mitsubishi service to set all electrics and mechanics back to std and for me to map the car.. Looks like I need to sort everything now.. well, ok.. They said that the car was fine..

The vipec V44 was connected ttrough an adapter box so I hope the OE loom wasn't changed.... apart from the MAF sensor connector..

thanks for your help, I'll post updates..

best regards
vlado
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

ok, checked the wiring...

I removed the additional vipec intake air temp sensor and MAP sensor.. they were, as grayw pointed out, spliced in the MAF loom...
Unfortunately, two wires from the MAF connector were cut, and what bothers me even more, the pins were pulled out from the connector... so I am looking for a new connector now.. if anyone has a suggestion where, please let me know..

on the injector front, and this might be interesting for other people wanting to run high impedance injectors... I checked the injector resistance at the ECU end... and for std car it is 83 ohms, and for this one with high resistance injectors, it is around 101 ohm... so, I think it should work with out any tampering and removal of the resistor box...
However I am still looking for std, or std resistance injectors..