Notices
ECU Flash

HKS bov problems, what i need to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS bov problems, what i need to do?

I installed on an evo8 EDM a HKS BOV sqv3 kit, and i drove the car...when you are in about 3000-4000 rev, and release the gas pedal (not at full release), you feel the car like a on/off

I see the boost gauge near from 0 vacuum and you can see the needle moving erratic when you do this. you can hear the bov open and close

then i thought, well the problem is about it is the bov and gets the measured air to the atmosfere...i bought a hose to recirculate the bov, and try again.

But the problem is still there. Any idea to solve this problem?

THe car is tuned by ecuflash with tephra v7 and i'm thinking to move to Speed density hoping solve the problem

I think to modify some the decel cut delay and the idle steeper look up tables. To try to cut fuel and air, when i release the gas pedal near from 0 vacuum, but i want to ask you before

Thanks to all. Ideas would be well come
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy an HKS recirculation kit for your BOV (71002-AM001), it should solve the problem.
Cheers
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
he said he is already recirculating it, therefore the ecu is adjusting for the unmetered soon to be metered air being returned to the maf & air intake and its still occurring.

sounds like the spring in the BOV isn't strong enough raulhp. maybe its not a genuine hks bov? have you boost leak tested with it yet? what kind of boost control are you using?

Last edited by tscompusa2; Dec 24, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 03:28 AM

The HKS bov was buy to the HKS dealer in uk (I'm HKS retailer). My boost control is done by a HKS EVC6 boost control. The car has the ralliart intercooler pipes too...

I will wait some days to see if the ECU "learn" the new air.
THanks
Old Dec 25, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
he said he is already recirculating it
Sorry I guess It is not good for me to read in the middle of the night!

If the problem is more pronounced on top gears (5th, 6th) then yes, it is probably a spring trouble.

Have you tried to go back with factory BOV to ensure that there is nothing somewhere else? (In my personal case and after trying several so-called famous BOV, I went back to my OEM IX BOV, it is working perfectly up to 28.5PSI). Lot of threads regarding BOV end by saying that IX BOV is often the best option...

Merry X-MAS!
Cheers

Last edited by Vigman; Dec 25, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is the BOV, I tried to make that BOV work with the EVO a ton, and I felt it was a tad on the dangerous side when driving in the twisties as when it would buck it got really scary...
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:40 AM

thanks, I will return to the OEM bov, because i'm soo tired about this. And i think you will have tried a lot of things more than me, and if you can not make it works good...i think i can not do it
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

You can try to find a IX BOV since it is a great upgrade from the VIII but you will definitively save a lot of time going back to stock unit.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have the HKS flange welded into your UICP, my suggestion would be to get one of the Synapse products as they make an HKS adapter flange for their products. If you still have the oem BOV flange, just pick up a IX BOV...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:36 AM

thanks to all,
I did some modifications on the rom...the jitter situation occurs when you are going in the 15% gas pedal at 0 vacuum or a little vacuum (90kpa) when the car comes from a higher pressure (like when you are cruising)...it looks like the idle valve is getting air in this situation to get a "smooth" transition and the car gets fuel for it

I have remove some time on the decel cut delay map and some opening on the idle valve map...I need to check it, (waiting for a Wideband) but if this modifications can not solve the problem, i will go back to the stock BOV