Notices
ECU Flash

Looking for MBT with Virtual Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I've never been able to acheive the same repeatability on the road that I can on a dynojet. This is with the same stretch of road with ideal conditions. I can still effectively tune on the road, but the resolution is a bit lower than on a dynojet.

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 4, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eTiLiKo
Guys, don't be blind.
Compare an UNCORRECTED virtual dyno with an uncorrected real dyno, and you have another factor of inaccuracy.
Virtual Dyno (Uncorrected) has been compared to MANY MANY REAL DYNOJETS (Uncorrected) and has always been within 0-3%.

I would say thats pretty accurate.

BTW, I help Brad develop VD and have done/seen these comparisons myself.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I've never been able to acheive the same repeatability on the road that I can on a dynojet. This is with the same stretch of road with ideal conditions. I can still effectively tune on the road, but the resolution is a bit lower than on a dynojet.
Perfect, this is the same thing I wanted to say

And in general if anyone has ever tuned an engine on a ENGINE dyno or on a very good Load/Steady State roller dyno can understand better

Last edited by eTiLiKo; Jan 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
I can still effectively tune on the road (with Vitrual Dyno)
Perfect, this is the same thing WE are trying to say
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Effectively tuning is not the same as MBT tuning, that is the perfection.
Also, I can effetctively tune on the road WITHOUT any of this virtaul things...evoscan is all that is needed.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 04:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eTiLiKo
Effectively tuning is not the same as MBT tuning, that is the perfection.
Also, I can effetctively tune on the road WITHOUT any of this virtaul things...evoscan is all that is needed.
Not on E85, where you can pass MBT without knock, so its a good idea to have at least a virtual dyno in that case.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't experience on ethanol, here we haven't it
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there are questions about Virtual Dyno I am the developer so just shoot me a message or something and Ill be glad to help.

I understand that you like using a dyno ... but everyone doesnt have access to one whenever they want or in their garage so thats where Virtual Dyno comes in. If the math and physics are correct then it will be correct.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The same rules that apply to proper dyno testing apply to "virtual dynos" and this is where most make mistakes. Consistency in data is created through consistent process of testing.

My personal method is all due to the fact that I have found a testing area that works well. I have found a section of road that is plenty long for a 3rd gear pull with ample braking room. At the end of the road, I can pull off in an industrial complex to evaluate the data and to avoid being noticed by any unwanted individuals. I then drive back down the road opposite the way I do the pulls so I can verify nobody is around before making a pull going back the other direction. This is important because it takes you mind off things like crossing paths with somebody else and let's you focus on getting the data as consistent as possible.

I have consistency in my testing in that I watch the log before starting a pull for a couple things. Coolant temp and IATs within a few degrees, stabilize RPM before beginning pull, start at the same point on the road every time, run the car to the rev limiter every time.

Beyond that, I use the scientific approach, one variable at a time. I tune AFR and timing completely separately, never changing both at the same time. I usually will only change a small RPM range at a time too, so that the data should show consistent before and after the change to verify a good pull. On one hand, it time consuming. However, I find doing this, and having a basic knowledge of what the car likes, I can tune the car in far less pulls overall. Instead of doing pull after pull, I just make each pull count and the data is consistent enough that this works well.

Doing this, I've been able to show very small changes and I've been able to tune MBT on 91 octane up until about 320WHP, which is about 18-19 PSI peak on my car and about 14 psi at redline. Above that boost level, I can no longer reach MBT before detonation sets in. It is HP limited in my case as it is the point where the turbo starts getting very high shaft speeds. Anything over about 340WHP I have to start dumping fuel on it to keep it happy. Can't wait to see what E85 does.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Virtual dynos are useful, but like mrfred had stated, not as precise as a real dyno.

It's not the calculations the spreadsheets and VD programs use that's the problem...t's the data that we log from the ECU. Many of the key parameters have large data jumps, like the normal 1 byte RPM most people log. 2-byte RPM will help improve precision, for example. Also, logging speed is a very big factor as well. You don't want your timestamp and your data too far off. Using DMA will be better than MUT, for example.

All of these limitations add up and factor into the lack of precision and consistencies that we get from logging. That being said though, the VD tools are very useful and if you know what you're doing and understand what's going on, then they can be used to tune quite effectively and see very small changes. Whether that's good enough to tune for a 1* timing resolution, I guess that's all up to your data and acquisition.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

There is some consistency in the data rate though, provided you always log the same things. Keep the number of items to a minimum though.

I've noticed that when tuning and logging multiple channels, I'll usually end up with about 5% higher readings then when I do a pull "for bragging rights" where I only log TPS and 2-byte RPM. Logging only those two channels, I get a reasonable data rate of like 30Hz. Not great, but good enough that I trust the results to be fairly close to a real dyno. Within 5% or so anyway.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

^^ thats pretty good... i dont get those speeds from evoscan (Even when logging tps, rpm)

saying that i normally use DMA, i havent tried VD with it yet, but i know using VDR it will give a very inflated power number compared to if i used evoscan to log. i put it down to the fact i was using 1byte rpm and the sample rate was too high. (i normally get 30-40 hz... and i have full ign,boost,wideband etc values available.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

I've got the baud rate up at 63,500 or what ever it is. 30Hz may be a bit higher then reality actually, probably closer to 25 Hz. It is considerably higher then normal though and the data is more then 2X as long on a given pull compared to my tuning setup where I grab about 7-8 channels of data.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

ahh ok now i get it. at my 30-40hz speed i am logging 15+ channels

and still on the stock 16k speeds... i should look into increaseing but its too much data as it is anyway
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I use the virtual dyno to check for change not my peak hp numbers. If you compare VD to a dyno and don't enter in the right number such as weight and tire size it wont be accurate.

Quick Reply: Looking for MBT with Virtual Dyno