Notices
ECU Flash

Speed Density 2.0 (3D VE Tables, Baro)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK so now I am out trying to dial in the VE maps.

I have a ported head with a 2.4L 10.5:1 motor with GSC S2 cams and a 6262. How much do you think those items increased VE? I have heard that cams can increase VE by 15% and a ported head can add 5-10%. The increased displacement could theoretically add 17%. This would make a theoretical increase in VE by as much as 40% or more.

I have cranked the SD VE up to 130% and still was running leaner than my fuel maps were calling for. I moved the fuel map from 12.0 to 10.0 and my fuels went exactly to where I would expect with that percent change. Is there an upper limit to the VE effectiveness where I will have to just use the fuel map AFR as an abstract? I can move the fuel map back and add more VE but I don't want to waste time with a limit I am not seeing. I am ok with abstract AFR numbers if needed but I don't want to give up on a LOGICAL fuel map doing what it is called for.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think higher displacement doesn't affect the volumetric efficency.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
OK so now I am out trying to dial in the VE maps.

I have a ported head with a 2.4L 10.5:1 motor with GSC S2 cams and a 6262. How much do you think those items increased VE? I have heard that cams can increase VE by 15% and a ported head can add 5-10%. The increased displacement could theoretically add 17%. This would make a theoretical increase in VE by as much as 40% or more.

I have cranked the SD VE up to 130% and still was running leaner than my fuel maps were calling for. I moved the fuel map from 12.0 to 10.0 and my fuels went exactly to where I would expect with that percent change. Is there an upper limit to the VE effectiveness where I will have to just use the fuel map AFR as an abstract? I can move the fuel map back and add more VE but I don't want to waste time with a limit I am not seeing. I am ok with abstract AFR numbers if needed but I don't want to give up on a LOGICAL fuel map doing what it is called for.
Think of it in a slightly different fashion. Instead of how much it increased...think about how efficient it was previously say 70% and now its 80-90, could be more being its not NA but turbo--
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering if there is a maximum effective amount of multiplier that the VE table can use that I wouldn't run out of range. I don't want to just rescale the injectors even though that would be "easier".
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rescaling the injectors is the correct solution. Sure your 2.4 will look like a 20% VE increase over a 2.0, but it's really a 2.4 so the airflow is relative to that displacement. At the end of the day your maps are going to look much better and you'll have less funniness in all the other tables if you get that first number right.

Good luck!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Rescaling the injectors is the correct solution.
Good luck!
I don't understand why many people think this is a good idea. Changing the injector scaling messes up the whole map. I have everything working well in vacuum already. The injector size is a not a variable. They are flow tested and the flow is a known quantity. Once injectors are scaled they should be left alone and the rest can be fixed. No other platform promotes this idea. I only adjust injector sizes to compensate for fuel variations because it doesn't change the engine VE.

My question is what is the upper limit for the VE tables in the program? I don't want to run out of resolution on that table and have to do work arounds such as changing injector scaling.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't understand why many people think this is a good idea. Changing the injector scaling messes up the whole map. I have everything working well in vacuum already. The injector size is a not a variable. They are flow tested and the flow is a known quantity. Once injectors are scaled they should be left alone and the rest can be fixed. No other platform promotes this idea. I only adjust injector sizes to compensate for fuel variations because it doesn't change the engine VE.

My question is what is the upper limit for the VE tables in the program? I don't want to run out of resolution on that table and have to do work arounds such as changing injector scaling.
You can use MAF compensation at high airflow values if you run out of scale in the VE map. The 1600hz value is used for all fueling over 1600hz.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any downside to having the studder fixes turned on? I had a studder at 2k and below that is pretty violent. I don't want to turn them on for no reason if there is a detrimental effect.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any downside to having the studder fixes turned on? I had a studder at 2k and below that is pretty violent. I don't want to turn them on for no reason if there is a detrimental effect.
No. Turn them on and be an happy dancing dwarf.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if there is a limit, but I think what you are experiencing is a limitation of the stock ECU speed density implementation. ECM Link's SD implementation has a multiplier for engine displacement to take care of this.

As someone said, MAF scaling could sort it out but the easiest way is to rescale the injectors.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by domyz
No. Turn them on and be an happy dancing dwarf.
Thanks! How did you know I am a little person? 😜
Old Nov 21, 2013, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! How did you know I am a little person? 😜
Ah sorry I didn't meant to be rude
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

not an expert in SD and if it doesn't sound too stupid, where does the ecu get baro signal from ?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
The baro never worked. Afaik
Old Nov 26, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

then what does that table mean "Baro vs Kpa" ?

Quick Reply: Speed Density 2.0 (3D VE Tables, Baro)