Notices
ECU Flash

Speed Density 2.0 (3D VE Tables, Baro)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do realize kPA 0 is the minimum pressure right? its absolute not a atmospheric unit like psi or something its equivalent to BAR just 100x thats all.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh i do from 0-100 KPA would be Vacuum units in PSI correct?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found this chart for psi(gauge pressure) to KPA

I would verify this before you use it.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...NnMo-xshFA&t=1
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems right
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This might be some newbie questions, but I am not clear on some things.

With John Banks SD implementation the MAP VE and RPM VE tables were used to convert MAP values to the typical load values you would see for a MAF setup. I thought your 3D table would be doing the same, but I also see you have a MAP vs Load table so I am a bit confused. What is the MAP vs load table for?

Also, why does MAP to BARO need a table? Isn't this just a unit conversion from kPa to Bar?

Obviously I am missing something. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckleford
This might be some newbie questions, but I am not clear on some things.

With John Banks SD implementation the MAP VE and RPM VE tables were used to convert MAP values to the typical load values you would see for a MAF setup. I thought your 3D table would be doing the same, but I also see you have a MAP vs Load table so I am a bit confused. What is the MAP vs load table for?

Also, why does MAP to BARO need a table? Isn't this just a unit conversion from kPa to Bar?

Obviously I am missing something. Thanks.
The first table set the map to kPa values it should be an easy direct volts to kpa correlation this way. I'm doing it because kPa is the X axis on the 3D table so the conversion is necessary for multiple sensors.

As to the baro thing its actually a bit of irony you said this. First the kPA the first table has is a scaling that i made up which means the numbers behind it aren't kPA at all. Secondly the baro value is really in volts and not really in BAR we just scaled it to appear as such. I know this sound crazy but using a table to say this number means this number is really easier than trying to come up with math to make it work. Plus as a side effect i can curve the numbers however i choose

Last edited by RoadSpike; Feb 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:06 AM
And
Evolving Member

well i've been driving around on the 9653 version with auto baro and all seems good my afr's look good and the car behave well great work will do some power runs later to see how it gets on
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
from what i understand and it may help some others confused also.

4 bar = 44-45psi

1 bar in psi is 14.7 depending where you live, but even though the map sensor is a 4 bar its not going to read 14.7 x 4 (58psi~)

reason being is because 1 bar is taken from the 100kpa of vacuum. so it leaves a 4 bar map sensor with 300kpa of positive pressure usage. adding the 100kpa of vac with the positive pressure would give you your 400kpa (4bar).
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it just has to be realized that a 4bar map sensor is a 4bar absolute map sensor.

It does measure 4bar of pressure. It's just that we live on a planet where the atmosphereic pressure is about 1bar at sea level. Since most people think in psi, or relative pressure, you have to subtract whatever the atmostpheric pressure is for your altitude to get the relative bar (psi) limit for your sensor.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

great work guys! subscribed.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

DL'd Loaded it up looks good in ECUflash. Car fires and idles @ 14.7. It's up on jackstands for the next few days so no road logs -sorry.

Great work!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Couple Questions:

1. For those of us looking to run 40+ psi using an Omni 4-bar, would you recommend rescaling the 3D table's X-axis to 400?

2. Are any adjustments needed for the Map Sensor Kpa table if running Omni 4-bar?

3. Should I set the values in the "Kpa to Load" table to correspond to the values that I had in the "SD Map Sensor VE and Calibrations" in my previous SD ROM? Do you need to make any adjustments to this table or just make changes in the 3D VE table?

Trying to better understand which tables need adjustment or how the adjustments to the new tables affect things.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
Couple Questions:

1. For those of us looking to run 40+ psi using an Omni 4-bar, would you recommend rescaling the 3D table's X-axis to 400?

2. Are any adjustments needed for the Map Sensor Kpa table if running Omni 4-bar?

3. Should I set the values in the "Kpa to Load" table to correspond to the values that I had in the "SD Map Sensor VE and Calibrations" in my previous SD ROM? Do you need to make any adjustments to this table or just make changes in the 3D VE table?

Trying to better understand which tables need adjustment or how the adjustments to the new tables affect things.

Thanks!
1. i would. keep in mind when you change the scaling there it effects the fuel and timing maps also. never hurts to have to much resolution though.

2. default values are 10,20,30,40,60,100,120,450

3. The only thing that new 3d map is for is the RPM VE.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
The first table set the map to kPa values it should be an easy direct volts to kpa correlation this way. I'm doing it because kPa is the X axis on the 3D table so the conversion is necessary for multiple sensors.

As to the baro thing its actually a bit of irony you said this. First the kPA the first table has is a scaling that i made up which means the numbers behind it aren't kPA at all. Secondly the baro value is really in volts and not really in BAR we just scaled it to appear as such. I know this sound crazy but using a table to say this number means this number is really easier than trying to come up with math to make it work. Plus as a side effect i can curve the numbers however i choose
Ok, so what does the kPa to load table do? I thought the 3d VE table would be used to determine load from kPa.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Ok, so what does the kPa to load table do? I thought the 3d VE table would be used to determine load from kPa.
It is in a sense but its more like a multiplier table to be precise.

The code simply looks up the kpa to load for a base value then based on the rpm and kPA it applies a VE multiplier to it to get the final raw load. You need at least 1 3d table to get it perfect.

I suppose I could have done it just one 3d table as your suggesting but this setup is what most tuners understand for a speed density setup so I was going to stick with it rather than show something new and unfamiliar.

A small benefit to tuners with this setup is larger displacement is easily applied to the 2d kpa vs load table rather than the larger 3d table.

Quick Reply: Speed Density 2.0 (3D VE Tables, Baro)