Notices
ECU Flash

Speed Density 2.0 (3D VE Tables, Baro)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MercenaryX2
Anyone ever find a fix for the lean warm up on the 9417 rom? It seems to be still having that issue
Mine is still there. I learned to live with it. Once I start driving the car it goes away.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D-VO
Hey guys. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere: I'm having a tough time believing my intercooler is so efficient that in 95F weather the max IAT I will ever see is 102F. Even in 75F weather I'm still seeing a max of 102F, so the reading has to be incorrect. I'm using the 0x03 setting on the "SD Convert IAT to MAT" table with a GM IAT and a 4 bar Omni MAP sensor.

I'm thinking I may have to change the voltage scaling for the GM IAT or there may need to be some IAT tuning that I need to be doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bump for an answer. Still researching all over the threads.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I spent a long time trying to get my iat right. i am close by putting the sensor in a known temperature then adjusting the table. i plan to get some hot water and a thermometer to plot out a range of values that correlate to real temp values, but i havent had a chance to do that yet.

unfortunately the numbers ive found dont correlate to each other at all, even the gm temp sensor datasheets that specify temp vs resistance.
The following users liked this post:
D-VO (Jul 21, 2016)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I spent a long time trying to get my iat right. i am close by putting the sensor in a known temperature then adjusting the table. i plan to get some hot water and a thermometer to plot out a range of values that correlate to real temp values, but i havent had a chance to do that yet.

unfortunately the numbers ive found dont correlate to each other at all, even the gm temp sensor datasheets that specify temp vs resistance.
That's an interesting idea. Maybe I can do some testing with a heat gun.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

I suggest using water instead of a heat gun. It would be more consistent and you can have a known thermometer in there with it. Hot air would be erratic
Old Jul 22, 2016, 07:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I suggest using water instead of a heat gun. It would be more consistent and you can have a known thermometer in there with it. Hot air would be erratic
The GM resistance data is right on the money, but the scaling in the ECU is established from both the GM sensor resistance chart, the base resistance of the thermistor circuit (2130 ohms for the Evo thermistor circuits), and the voltage of the thermistor circuiits (4.73 volts for the Evo). Quite a long time ago I generated proper scaling tables for the GM IAT in the fuel tank temperature circuit or the IAT circuit. They are right on the money in my experience and were included in all the original 2D SD patches that I released.

The easiest way to verify scaling is to log coolant temperature and GM IAT at the same time with key "on" and engine "off" after letting the car sit overnight. Whether its below freezing or 80+ F, my GM IAT sensor always matches coolant temperature within 1 deg F.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrfred:
D-VO (Jul 22, 2016), mines5 (Oct 20, 2016)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
The GM resistance data is right on the money, but the scaling in the ECU is established from both the GM sensor resistance chart, the base resistance of the thermistor circuit (2130 ohms for the Evo thermistor circuits), and the voltage of the thermistor circuiits (4.73 volts for the Evo). Quite a long time ago I generated proper scaling tables for the GM IAT in the fuel tank temperature circuit or the IAT circuit. They are right on the money in my experience and were included in all the original 2D SD patches that I released.

The easiest way to verify scaling is to log coolant temperature and GM IAT at the same time with key "on" and engine "off" after letting the car sit overnight. Whether its below freezing or 80+ F, my GM IAT sensor always matches coolant temperature within 1 deg F.
That's what I've been having trouble finding. It should be on the How to: Speed Density thread right?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

That's what I've been having trouble finding. It should be on the How to: Speed Density thread right?
Is there an "SD how-to" thread? If you mean the thread where I posted the ports of the original 2D SD patch, all those ROMs have the correct GM IAT scaling, although to be honest I don't recall if I put it in the IAT sensor scaling table or the Fuel Tank Temperature sensor scaling table. I guess I'll have to look at some point.
The following users liked this post:
D-VO (Jul 23, 2016)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Is there an "SD how-to" thread? If you mean the thread where I posted the ports of the original 2D SD patch, all those ROMs have the correct GM IAT scaling, although to be honest I don't recall if I put it in the IAT sensor scaling table or the Fuel Tank Temperature sensor scaling table. I guess I'll have to look at some point.
The OP on How-to I'm refereing too is 'scheides'. I don't see any posts from you on that thread. Maybe it was on a different forum?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

The OP on How-to I'm refereing too is 'scheides'. I don't see any posts from you on that thread. Maybe it was on a different forum?
Look in the "important" threads sticking in this forum. You'll see links to two SD threads. One is mine.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

i searched the forum pretty extensively and found a few different sets of values for the iat table, along with a couple options on what scaling to use in ecuflash. In the end i never got it quite right across the range. I think part of it is the wiring in my car skews the resistance or something.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I may be looking for the wrong information here. Its been a long time since I've installed SD. I didn't know there was an option to use the barometer again, or that there was a harness from spoolinup. I don't know if that harness incorporates the fuel temperature sensor or if there's something else I need to buy to make it work. I guess now there's even more reading to do. Dang it...
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Alright so I finally had a chance to put my car back together and log before starting. I would like to note that I spliced the IAT feed from the MAF harness, and I no longer have a MAF sensor to verify readings as it is damaged. The log of the IAT compared to the coolant temp is as you explained:

Name:  wth_zpsz6r1r7kr.png
Views: 0
Size:  316.7 KB

This is what's going on. Daytime log in Florida today shows 98.6 degree IAT with a 91 degree ambient temp:
Name:  DAytime%20run_zpsezmrfsn7.png
Size:  332.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20160730-115451_zps5dr4wyxk.png
Size:  906.8 KB

Nightime run still shows a 98.6 degree IAT with a 78 degree ambient temp
Name:  Night%20run_zpsobyqi0pu.png
Size:  326.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20160730-214747_zpsg5xiniul.png
Size:  905.0 KB

What I've been trying to do is use the 'Ignition Trim vs Air Temp' table to adjust timing given the current IAT temps so I can always have the highest and safest amount of power available. Assuming this is one of the tables that actually works properly; if the IAT doesn't change the ECU is not able to correct the timing to IAT temps which leaves me at a disadvantage during seasonal temp swings. Should I just go with the pin 77 to correct this issue?

Thanks

Last edited by D-VO; Jul 30, 2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

nevermind, misread previous post
Old Jul 31, 2016, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm not sure of your wiring layout or your settings in the ECU. Is the MAT sensor wired to the fuel tank temp circuit or the IAT circuit that you mentioned? What is the airtemp column in your log?

Quick Reply: Speed Density 2.0 (3D VE Tables, Baro)