Notices
ECU Flash

Computer/Evoscan/Stupidity Problem

Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Computer/Evoscan/Stupidity Problem

Background: Running Windows7 Pro 64bit, 1.3 Tactrix, 06 Evo IX, tephramods (did put tephramods file into the new Evoscan rommetadata folder)

Recently, I reformatted my computer and wiped everything.

Reinstalled evoscan (2.7 and 2.8) and ecuflash, but I can't write to my ECU. Uninstalled and reinstalled and same result.

I figured it was the drivers, but when I went into the Evoscan folder (in Program Files (x86)) and attempted to us DPInst, it did not work, saying I need to run 64 bit. I tried running Evoscan connected, and a similar message popped up about installing drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you connect to the ecu at all?

I had a similar problem a couple nights ago. I couldnt get ecuflash to connect at all. i kept getting a blank pop up box on my screen with no details. I tried for about 40 mins with different plugging in procedures. when i fired up evoscan, rechecked all connections again, i was able to hook into the ecu. once the connection in evoscan was made, ecuflash connected with no issues.

If you have evoscan try loading that first. you also may want to run the free ecu unlocker thats out there. i think its just called "ecu unlocker"
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the response - i've been tuning and etc and stuff before, i'm fairly certain it's strictly a driver problem.. i think i was supposed to partition some of my hardrive to run 32 bit or something like that and i didnt.. or something

but i'm thinking it must work for people who are running 64 bit computers.. just need to know how i can install the drivers in evoscan.. cuz installing ecuflash alone and evoscan alone doesnt work
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
Background: Running Windows7 Pro 64bit, 1.3 Tactrix, 06 Evo IX, tephramods (did put tephramods file into the new Evoscan rommetadata folder)

Recently, I reformatted my computer and wiped everything.

Reinstalled evoscan (2.7 and 2.8) and ecuflash, but I can't write to my ECU. Uninstalled and reinstalled and same result.

I figured it was the drivers, but when I went into the Evoscan folder (in Program Files (x86)) and attempted to us DPInst, it did not work, saying I need to run 64 bit. I tried running Evoscan connected, and a similar message popped up about installing drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks
well as you know the 64bit platform is cross compatible with 32bit. so if you're on a 64bit OS you can run 32bit applications.. but when on 32bit OS, you cant run 64bit.

Did you install ecuflash with the tactrix cable connected to the usb port? if not, you must do so because ecuflash will attempt to read a code from the tactrix cable confirming its legitimacy for usage.. its there way of keeping track of their own hardware design vs others and keeping customers locked onto only using their cables with their software.

Is the 1.3 a 1.3R or a 1.3U? the 1.3R can only read in evoscan, but the 1.3U has a tactrix license built into it and can read direct from the ecuflash software.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
well as you know the 64bit platform is cross compatible with 32bit. so if you're on a 64bit OS you can run 32bit applications.. but when on 32bit OS, you cant run 64bit.

Did you install ecuflash with the tactrix cable connected to the usb port? if not, you must do so because ecuflash will attempt to read a code from the tactrix cable confirming its legitimacy for usage.. its there way of keeping track of their own hardware design vs others and keeping customers locked onto only using their cables with their software.

Is the 1.3 a 1.3R or a 1.3U? the 1.3R can only read in evoscan, but the 1.3U has a tactrix license built into it and can read direct from the ecuflash software.
Ah gotcha - I will try reinstalling ecuflash with the tactrix cable IN the usb port - will I also need to have the tactrix cable plugged in the car?

I'm not sure which version of the tactrix cable it is unfortunately - but I do know that it worked for everything before - ecuflash, evoscan, logs, uploading/downloading ecu maps etc - the only thing that has changed is that i went from windows7 64bit HOME to windows7 64 bit PRO, and erased all my data/drivers in the process.

Thanks for the tip, I'll update tonight to see if this works.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kyooch
Ah gotcha - I will try reinstalling ecuflash with the tactrix cable IN the usb port - will I also need to have the tactrix cable plugged in the car?

I'm not sure which version of the tactrix cable it is unfortunately - but I do know that it worked for everything before - ecuflash, evoscan, logs, uploading/downloading ecu maps etc - the only thing that has changed is that i went from windows7 64bit HOME to windows7 64 bit PRO, and erased all my data/drivers in the process.

Thanks for the tip, I'll update tonight to see if this works.
no not plugged into the car, just the laptop or computer so it can read off the usb port.

did you try communicating with the car via evoscan flashing? by default ecuflash is installed in the x86 program files folder on the OS which represents its a 32bit application. all 64bit apps go into the regular program files folder by default.

example C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash

Last edited by tscompusa2; Feb 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

no not plugged into the car, just the laptop or computer so it can read off the usb port.

did you try communicating with the car via evoscan flashing? by default ecuflash is installed in the x86 program files folder on the OS which represents its a 32bit application. all 64bit apps go into the regular program files folder by default.

example C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash
Here are the errors that are coming up:

Actually, before the error from evoscan was that I didn't have the drivers or something and tried to link me to the website. Not sure why that changed.

Should I go ahead and reinstall ecuflash with the tactrix cable in?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

cant you just go to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\drivers and choose x64 and do it like that?

if not ya.. uninstall it all and reinstall with the tactrix cable plugged in usb it will auto install drivers on your approval once it detects the cable.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn' t have these issues with a windows 7 64bit ultimate laptop by HP.

Instead of relying on evoscan's drivers download and install ecuflash those drivers will work. If you still want to flash with evoscan it should still work.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

cant you just go to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\drivers and choose x64 and do it like that?

if not ya.. uninstall it all and reinstall with the tactrix cable plugged in usb it will auto install drivers on your approval once it detects the cable.
Ahhh - that worked, and ecuflash wrote ecu to the car!!

Oddly, evoscan is still not reading the USB?? (same message as second image above, usb cable not responding, unplug and retry)

What to make of this? Thanks for all the help

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're using a 1.3 cable right? You can't select the 2.0 cable then on the evoscan program page.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
You're using a 1.3 cable right? You can't select the 2.0 cable then on the evoscan program page.
omg you're right LOL.. i thought selecting MUT would take care of it

as expected, it was indeed a stupidity problem. let me go try this to verify.. thanks for help
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

workin!!! thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

good stuff.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was just gonna point that out, but u guys got it figured out... Good catch roadspike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Computer/Evoscan/Stupidity Problem