Notices
ECU Flash

Any fixes for stalling with 96530706 or 94170715

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No solution. My stalling is worse with AC on but I stall even with AC off. I will go back to my non-Tephra flash if no solution can be found.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shadow1
No solution. My stalling is worse with AC on but I stall even with AC off. I will go back to my non-Tephra flash if no solution can be found.
Did you get my email? Ill be sending you a ROM tonight.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I'll look out for it. Any specific issues to share on this thread?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey bro I made some progress tonight by adjusting a couple of different tables in my V7 ROM. Here's a pic of what I did:

In case it's hard to tell here's the list of tables I modified:

Decel Fuel Cut Delay
Decel Fuel Cut Retard
Desired Idle RPM with A/C on- set to 906
Desired ISCV initial step position with A/C On- Neutral - Raised the bottom two values to 60 and 50

I also raised my timing below 1000RPM and 40 load to 12.

The combination of these adjustments seems have pretty much fixed my issue. There was one time while driving tonight where the car almost stalled but it recovered quickly. I think the one table that made the big difference was the Desired ISCV... table. I've messed with all of the other tables before to control this issue and only saw minimal improvements but with the adjustments to the Desired ISCV table the AFRs don't go nearly as rich on decel and the car idles better than ever with the A/C on. I hope this helps you with the issue your having. I do still have an issue with the AFRs going a little rich on decel sometimes without the A/C on but it's not enough to cause the car to stumble or die. I think I'll try raising the the values in the other Desired ISCV table to see if that fixes the issue with the A/C off.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

^^ You should not change the decel fuel cut retard.

Also, the decel fuel cut delay tables have nothing to do with idle.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
^^ You should not change the decel fuel cut retard.

Also, the decel fuel cut delay tables have nothing to do with idle.
Please explain.

I'm definitely a novice tuner so I'd love to here your reasoning. My logic in adjusting these two tables is that the reason my car seems to stumble and nearly die sometimes on decel is because the AFRs are going too rich between shifts. Logically, that tells me that the ECU is trying to feed the engine more fuel than it needs during deceleration. When I first confronted this problem a while back when I was on Tephra V5.10, I tried lowering the values in the Decel Fuel Cut Tables and it made a big difference. It didn't totally eliminate the problem but I definitely saw improvement. After switching over to V7, it seemed like the problem got worse again so I started making adjustments to the Decel Fuel Cut Retard table and again saw some improvement. Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I was thinking that this table was related to the Decel Fuel Cut Delay tables in that raising these values further lessens the amount of time the ECU contiues to feed fuel to the engine upon deceleration or between shifts. Since the only time that I ever have this problem is in the lower RPM ranges (below 3000 or so), it made a lot of sense to me to try adjusting these tables to see if it would correct the problem.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Please explain.

I'm definitely a novice tuner so I'd love to here your reasoning. My logic in adjusting these two tables is that the reason my car seems to stumble and nearly die sometimes on decel is because the AFRs are going too rich between shifts. Logically, that tells me that the ECU is trying to feed the engine more fuel than it needs during deceleration. When I first confronted this problem a while back when I was on Tephra V5.10, I tried lowering the values in the Decel Fuel Cut Tables and it made a big difference. It didn't totally eliminate the problem but I definitely saw improvement. After switching over to V7, it seemed like the problem got worse again so I started making adjustments to the Decel Fuel Cut Retard table and again saw some improvement. Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I was thinking that this table was related to the Decel Fuel Cut Delay tables in that raising these values further lessens the amount of time the ECU contiues to feed fuel to the engine upon deceleration or between shifts. Since the only time that I ever have this problem is in the lower RPM ranges (below 3000 or so), it made a lot of sense to me to try adjusting these tables to see if it would correct the problem.
If your having a stumbling issues like you explain, your injectors are most likely scaled incorrectly.

Next, the decel fuel cut tables are not what they are labeled as. They are ISCV tables, per MRFREDs ISCV disassembly.

I will explain more and add info to this thread soon. I have to step out now and when I come back, Ill be working on Shadows ROM. After I fix his idle, we will add info to this thread pertaining to this issue.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
If your having a stumbling issues like you explain, your injectors are most likely scaled incorrectly.

Next, the decel fuel cut tables are not what they are labeled as. They are ISCV tables, per MRFREDs ISCV disassembly.

I will explain more and add info to this thread soon. I have to step out now and when I come back, Ill be working on Shadows ROM. After I fix his idle, we will add info to this thread pertaining to this issue.
Negative. I'm using stock injectors with stock scalings.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Update:
I tried Boosted's modifications to my rom. Basically he upped idle timing to 19 degrees and bumped the ISCV tables up a bit in the last 2 temp rows. The changes help the car keep from stalling BUT the 500 rpm idle stumble still happens. Well, I'm done with Tephra. I flashed my 96940011 rom back to my ecu. Idles perfect. Like stock. No stumble. Confirms that the idle stumble is a Tephra tuning issue and NOT hardware related.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Update:
I tried Boosted's modifications to my rom. Basically he upped idle timing to 19 degrees and bumped the ISCV tables up a bit in the last 2 temp rows. The changes help the car keep from stalling BUT the 500 rpm idle stumble still happens. Well, I'm done with Tephra. I flashed my 96940011 rom back to my ecu. Idles perfect. Like stock. No stumble. Confirms that the idle stumble is a Tephra tuning issue and NOT hardware related.
This is incorrect. Your idle timing is at 13, which it was already at. I didnt raise it at all. I made the timing below idle higher, as this helps to catch and correct RPM dips/stumbles/stalling. Also the highest I went with timing below idle was 18.

I bumped up the ISCV tables and corrected the desired RPM tables. Also, like I said in my email, this was attempt #1 and it would most likely take more then one attempt. But you chose to just go back to the other ROM, which is fine, since it works better for you. But your issue could be fixed, had you give me more time, like I said it would take.

Please dont post 20% of the story. And please dont post incorrect info.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Jun 11, 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add more info
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Negative. I'm using stock injectors with stock scalings.
Okay. Still the decel fuel cut delay, retard tables have nothing to do with idle.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't mean to offend you Jay. To clarify you bumped the 500 rpm and below timing to 15-18 degrees and increased the idle timing up to 15 degrees. I totally appreciate your time to help me out. My post was meant to indicate that there is a bug in the Tephra mod that causes the idle to stumble when you clutch in immediately after giving some throttle. So far, no one has been able to fix it or figure out the root cause. My stock rom doesn't exhibit this stumble at all. FYI my idle timing is set at 7 degrees in my 96940011 rom. My idle is smooth as stock now. At this point I'm willing to give up the Tephra extras (most of which I wasn't using) so that my car will idle and not embarrassingly stall in parking lots (or worse driving into a car meet).

Last edited by shadow1; Jun 11, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I didn't mean to offend you Jay. To clarify you bumped the 500 rpm and below timing to 15-18 degrees and increased the idle timing up to 15 degrees. I totally appreciate your time to help me out. My post was meant to indicate that there is a bug in the Tephra mod that causes the idle to stumble when you clutch in immediately after giving some throttle. So far, no one has been able to fix it or figure out the root cause. My stock rom doesn't exhibit this stumble at all. FYI my idle timing is set at 7 degrees in my 96940011 rom. My idle is smooth as stock now. At this point I'm willing to give up the Tephra extras (most of which I wasn't using) so that my car will idle and not embarrassingly stall in parking lots (or worse driving into a car meet).
I wasnt offended. Just like only correct info and the whole story. Also, according to the ROM Im looking at, that I made for you, it has the 1000rpm/40load cell, the cell most cars idle at, at 13degrees (which was where it already was). Also, I could make your idle timing 7* and still fix your issue on V7

There may be a "bug" as you put it, but I and others have our cars idling/not stalling just fine on V7. So its not that no one cant fix it, like your saying. Your car could be fixed fine (my first attempt cured the stalling and it only gets better form there), but you choose to move on.

Yes, the stock ROM will be smoother/better, specially for you since you have an 05 (Since theres not a Tephra V7 with your stock ROM id and with that fact, it takes a lil work on 9417 or 9653 to get your car idling right and not stalling.).

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Jun 11, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'm willing to try Tephra again (not any extra work at this point other than flashing) if you think you have other changes that will help. Can you actually stop the stumble from happening?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think it's a bug in the Tephrarom at all...it's the fact that you're using a different ROM than your stock ROM. Remember, you're coming from 96940011 and there is no V7 for that ROM. It's a known fact that 9653 has very different settings in terms of ISCV, idle, BISS, etc. I think it's more that than anything else.

I have been running a 9653 Tephra V7 rom on my 05 forever (coming from 9694) and I have no issues that you have. So, it's definitely doable. My advice would be to properly set your BISS on the new ROM and/or copy all of the settings from your stock ROM...including the tables from mrfred's advanced fuel control and ISCV disassembly. You'll see that the ROMs are very different.

Quick Reply: Any fixes for stalling with 96530706 or 94170715