Notices
ECU Flash

Evo 8 Internal Id Not Foud

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Internal Id Not Foud

I've searched and exercised all of the newbie options.

I recently got the 1.3 Tactrix cord without the 9 pin. I have EcuFlash 1.42, & my computer is running Windows 7.

My car battery is fully charged, and I am able to upload the map 100%.

Once downloaded, I receive a message saying that I have a Unknown Rom Image & it cannot recognize any of my definitions.

I know that this car has been tuned five months ago. Would the tuner have locked me out from retrieving my ECU Rom info? I also have used ECU unlocker simultaneously, but this also does not find the defined rom.

I plan on using another computer today (windows xp); but I doubt this is the case.

Suggestions, experience, anything is appreciated.

Also, can I just inherit another rom and change my internal ID? Or must I use the one programed for my ecu?

Last edited by REV.olution; Apr 13, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

you may need a tactrix 2.0...my 1.3 cable didn't work past ver 1.34 of ecu flash..

but so i understand... you are able to read your rom and you can see it in ecu flash?? or it never reads it at all and thros erros?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The ROM ID may have been changed; it's a cheap trick used by some tuners to make life difficult for their customers when they decide to start tuning themselves. If that's the case, fixing it should just be a matter of just changing the ROM ID manually, and you're back in business.

If you can post the ROM somewhere, I or someone else can take a look at it to confirm, and adjust it for you if necessary. Is this for the car mentioned in your signature (2003 GSR)?

Edit: any newer version of EcuFlash should work fine with the older v1.3 OpenPort cables; I've never bothered buying an OP2.0, because I've been perfectly happy with the cable I have. sharkm87, if yours didn't work, you should have contacted whoever you bought the cable from; if memory serves Colby made a few changes in the 1.3 Ecuflash series to prevent unlicensed copies of his cables from working.

Last edited by logic; Apr 13, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd borrow a 2.0 Tactrix cable as a test.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
The ROM ID may have been changed; it's a cheap trick used by some tuners to make life difficult for their customers when they decide to start tuning themselves. If that's the case, fixing it should just be a matter of just changing the ROM ID manually, and you're back in business.

If you can post the ROM somewhere, I or someone else can take a look at it to confirm, and adjust it for you if necessary. Is this for the car mentioned in your signature (2003 GSR)?

Edit: any newer version of EcuFlash should work fine with the older v1.3 OpenPort cables; I've never bothered buying an OP2.0, because I've been perfectly happy with the cable I have. sharkm87, if yours didn't work, you should have contacted whoever you bought the cable from; if memory serves Colby made a few changes in the 1.3 Ecuflash series to prevent unlicensed copies of his cables from working.
it was bought from tactrix a while ago..at the time i went threw so much troubleshooting... alot of people had same issue, i had that cable years ago and it just had so many issues soon as new ecu flash came out.. 2.0 i had no issues whatsoever...but i wasn't clear on if op is able to read a rom but not flash it back or what
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, for 2003 USDM GSR.

I'll post the rom but I wont be able to do it till 3pm. (On campus now)

As for the rom, all of the rom info is blank once loaded. Meaning that the ecu id, internal id, memory model etc.

What you are saying is that this rom was blocked by the tuning company and the internal id number was hidden or changed? Could I call them and find it out?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by REV.olution
Yeah, for 2003 USDM GSR.

I'll post the rom but I wont be able to do it till 3pm. (On campus now)

As for the rom, all of the rom info is blank once loaded. Meaning that the ecu id, internal id, memory model etc.

What you are saying is that this rom was blocked by the tuning company and the internal id number was hidden or changed? Could I call them and find it out?
i think what they are saying is he may of been using a custom rom id...so when you load it from your own ecu flash your xml files wont match whats in the actual rom...

i would imagine that would mean you can rename any of the evo 8 xml file names to match whatever id it is...but idk..i've never ran into that before
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah well I'm on my way home this afternoon. If these techniques dont work my tuner must have scrambled my id. Any ideas on how to get around this?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

deleted my registry, added all of the new v7 xml's into the folder. Connected the wire and here and behold I get a map loaded up. Yet I am confused because the diamaters in my loaded map look just like the pre-set map that was in my tephra download, i.e. there is nothing for me to copy over. Including my immobilzation code. Is this a problem?