Notices
ECU Flash

Leaning out cruise AFR a bit?

Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaning out cruise AFR a bit?

I must be missing something, because no matter what I set my AFR to in the fuel map at cruise load/rpm, it stays at about 14.7 actual.

What else do I need to change?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why do you want to lean it out? better fuel economy?

Last edited by escodotcarter; Jun 1, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Are u trying to adjust cruise AFR under closed or open loop?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
When cruising the car runs in closed loop, so the fuel map values are not used; if you want to lean out cruise, set the open loop thresholds lower so that you enter open loop during cruise. Then you'll be able to lean the car out using the fuel map.

Open loop load and open loop throttle are the tables you're looking for.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What should the values be set in those two open loop tables??
Old Jun 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

These are the stock values...

Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so those are stock, what should they be changed to for getting desired and mapped crusing and idle?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

First figure what rpm, throttle position and load you are at when cruising...that will give you an idea of where to correlate that into the values in the maps...on both "open loop load" maps if you lower the load% numbers it will mean that it takes less load to switch from closed loop to open loop at that specific rpm...on both "open loop throttle" maps if you lower the throttle% numbers it will mean that it will take less throttle angle to switch from closed loop to open loop at that specific rpm...I would suggest keeping both maps equally different from eachother and use the graph function to hold the same graph pattern as stock to keep things smooth
Old Jun 1, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

whats wrong with always running on open loop?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

I just zero'd out all 4 of my open loop tables and I am still running 4.7 cruise

ideas?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Nuthing is really "wrong" with running the open loop method...You just have to really watch what you're doing since there is no correction factor for adjustment to changes like in closed loop...definitely watch your AFR's and EGT's when doing this...And those tables will only effect the crossover points from closed to open loop...You will still have to go into your fuel tables and adjust AFR's in the cruise section of the map...you may have to do multiple logs to completely narrow down the cruising block of the map...There is another way to do this using a wideband 02 and the analog output wired into the ECU...here is the link...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...o2-system.html
Old Jun 1, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, I think my fuel map may not represent the actual AFR's in certain loads. Ive been already planning to tweak my full blown fuel and timing map with smooth transitions, so I may as well start to get things very narrowed down (My car was previously tuned, I believe I can tune it better)

when I zero'd out the tables just now, I really only did the cells 3000 and down. I then went up to 3.3kRPM and cruised, and my AFR shot down to ~14.2. weird. I know my Lc-1 is correct, because its spot on to whatever cruise value I have, so my FMIC and other pieces are probably throwing the fuel map off.

Looks like i have some work to do

Thanks for letting me know I can zero out all loop tables and be fine (as long as my map supports it)

And thanks for that link. I actually rigged my Lc-1 by wiring the 5v analog signal into my 8th pin to my Tactrix Openport 2.0 so I am actually logging everything without a laptop. Ive created custom profiles and formulas and they seem to be working out for me, except some stuff. If you know how to troubleshoot 2byteload bits please, by all means, let me know! Trying to log 2byte is driving me nuts
Old Jun 1, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

I have been playing with the AFR in the RPM/Load Cruise Portion of the Maps for a few weeks now. I have logged countless times at 35/45/60/65/70/80mph to try to get the f***n thing to stay at between 15.2-16.1 while cruising. I have set the Open Loop Load & threshold to be able to be at the AFR I want. So when lightly accelerating up to the cruising speed I am able to get what I want and need for better fuel economy, but the issue I have been having is as soon as I get to the speed and lift the throttle and basically start cruising it reverts back to 14.7 every single time. ???????
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

set the open loop loads from 500RPM to 3500RPM to zero
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

i would want to learn more about this..the most i have gotten on cruise is 24mpg... i think i can do better..car should run fine up to 15.5 ish

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaning out cruise AFR a bit?