Notices
ECU Flash

Quick question - timing on manual vs 3 port

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick question - timing on manual vs 3 port

When moving from ecu boost to manual boost or vice versa to get the full potential of the controller swap do you have to adjust timing at all?

I understand WGDC, boost, fuel, etc so possibly hitting different load cells but I'm specifically talking about taking off a manual (or 3 port), putting on a 3 port (or manual) and comparing one to the other with 0 adjustments to timing and saying one is better than the other. Is that a fair comparison with no editing of timing?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
my thoughts are that you should be able to keep the identical timing, due to the fact that you can set up the same boost curve.

IMHO, using a 3 port you should still set a peak taper type curve since the turbo cant flow say 26 psi to redline.

im mainly switching to a 3 port so i can control the taper myself instead of being at the mercy of the stupid mbc (4-5psi taper from 24 peak vs what i hope to control to a 24-21ish drop)

due to 1-2 psi more from 5500 up, it may need less timing, or it will be fine and run like a raped ape
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
my thoughts are that you should be able to keep the identical timing, due to the fact that you can set up the same boost curve.

IMHO, using a 3 port you should still set a peak taper type curve since the turbo cant flow say 26 psi to redline.

im mainly switching to a 3 port so i can control the taper myself instead of being at the mercy of the stupid mbc (4-5psi taper from 24 peak vs what i hope to control to a 24-21ish drop)

due to 1-2 psi more from 5500 up, it may need less timing, or it will be fine and run like a raped ape
You can eliminate/minimize taper with a MBC by "tuning" your WGA.

OP, if your 3port load curve is EXACT the same as your MBC load curve, you will not need tuning. But having tuned both and knowing that the load curves wont be EXACTLY the same, you may need some tuning.