Notices
ECU Flash

evo 9 trouble - need community help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 9 trouble - need community help

I have a friends Evo 9. Forged pistons, 2 liter engine, 272 kellford cams and originaly it had 780 cc injectors.

The problem with it it knocks very badly. So badly that at 3500 revs at load 280 it has - 10 timing, otherwise it knocks. It is real knock, I have to drop timing and for every angle I drop the knock drops as well.

When the car came to the workshop it had a lifted head and damaged valve seats and etc, because it was driven with knock 15-20++, we've put almost new cylinder head to it (6000 miles on it), left the pistons, because they were ok. Did all the leak tests, compression ration tests - all is ok. And it still knocks.

Last thing I tried is changed the fuel injectors to ID 1000, and nothing changed. Fuel pressure is good.

On the dyno it doesnt do any torque (400 nm at 1.7 boost), it starts sort of living from 5000+ revs and develops mighty 370 hp or so, but the exhaust gas temperature grows insanely.

I was thinking that it could be the incorectly set cams, but no, everything is in place !

Guys, do you have any idea what could cause this ?
Attached Files
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
And
Evolving Member

what valve springs are you running, have you checked the cam timing?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does sound like a mechanical issue, maybe to much compression? But I do notice the knock starts on tip in, and then cascades, the negative timing really would make the EGT go very high, to mush retard will do that. I'd say reduce the timing well before the point it starts to knock, 500 RPM or so and a couple of load cells lower and make the peak boost timing nearer a stock map, minus a degre or so. You not mentioned the MIVIC ,map, is that stock?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by And
what valve springs are you running, have you checked the cam timing?
Manley valve springs, checked the timing - that was the first thing I checked.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burgers22
Does sound like a mechanical issue, maybe to much compression? But I do notice the knock starts on tip in, and then cascades, the negative timing really would make the EGT go very high, to mush retard will do that. I'd say reduce the timing well before the point it starts to knock, 500 RPM or so and a couple of load cells lower and make the peak boost timing nearer a stock map, minus a degre or so. You not mentioned the MIVIC ,map, is that stock?
It could be mechanical, but the cylinder head is almost new (it was perfectly working on the other car), compression ration is 8.9 : 1 so it's good (mechanic checked it in front of me), that log is with reduced timing already (if I would run reasonable timing, then the knock would be insane). Mivec isn't stock, but it doesnt change very much.

I have the feeling that the cams are in the wrong place, but they are in correct place.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YaroRS
that log is with reduced timing already (if I would run reasonable timing, then the knock would be insane).
My point is the timing is still fairly high just BEFORE is starts knocking, this is where you need to reduce the timing. Can you post up the ROM image?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
And
Evolving Member

what cam pulleys are you running? some have two dowel holes in them as they can be used for eclipse's I think, you need to make sure they are in the evo hole
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

fitted knock box to the car, and I can say it's not real knock ! But what it could be ?!? Why does the knock sensor sees knock ? Changed knock sensor, fitted new one. Same story.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:52 AM
And
Evolving Member

is your rom the standard one or have you changed it for a different one?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by And
is your rom the standard one or have you changed it for a different one?
It's Tephra V7 Rom. I tried to run the car on the original rom, and made no difference. Same problem.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

have you check your crank sensor as well as the balance shaft. if it is out of phase this happens.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9209110-post4.html

if you have checked all these then i would say the motor is noisy and you would have to adjust the knock sensor sensitivity.

Last edited by andrewzaragoza; Jun 21, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
have you check your crank sensor as well as the balance shaft. if it is out of phase this happens.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9209110-post4.html

if you have checked all these then i would say the motor is noisy and you would have to adjust the knock sensor sensitivity.
Balance shaft removed, will check the crank sensor. But the noise is strange, one run is 0 knock, the other run could be 26 knock summ, but no noise in earphones.