Notices
ECU Flash

FIC 1100 tip-in issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've spent the afternoon working on this..

I changed the TPS so it's sitting at 14.1% at idle and it hits 100% a fraction before the stop. The idle was a bit erratic initially, so I did a BISS reset and it settled back to normal. There was no change in the injector issue after doing this, although low rpm driveability is much better with less bucking. I can't believe I put up with the car the way it was for so long!

Lean spool is enabled. I tried turning it off, but that didn't help with the issue.

I tried decreasing the scaling to 975 and also lowered the latencies to allow for the extra fuel and this also didn't help.

I changed the Min Async IPW back to the stock value and this didn't affect the problem. Possibly the reason this helped the first time I tried it was because the injectors were not 100% dialed in yet.

The only thing that reduced the tip-in noise (and up to a certain point the hesitation was slightly improved too) was lowering the async accel max contribution. Setting this to '0' resulted in no squawking tip-in noise (still has the same clacking though), but the engine didn't want to start revving. Gradually increasing the value caused an increase in noise.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
So is it fixed?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Not fixed yet unfortunately. Still makes the noise and has the hesitation on tip-in.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

I have just swapped the injectors out with another set of FIC 1100s and they're still behaving the same. So, looks like the injectors aren't the cause. The oem injectors didn't do this though.

What else should I be looking at? Fuel pump? Fuel rail? Fuel pressure?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So not the injectors. The resistor box has been removed?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Resistor box has been removed.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know what the fuel pressure is? With your scaling needing to be so much higher, it could be pressure related. Sorry, I'm clutching at straws, but its worth checking out.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
evl08, are you running a JDM ROM?
If so, that will likley explain the higher scaling.
As for the short click-burst, weird, but seems like async-accel related.
It kinda sounds like the injectors have no soft seals and the noise is amplified. Weird.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure what the fuel pressure is. I will probably have to take it to a shop to get them to test it unless there's an easy way to do it without cutting the fuel lines.

I'm running the 96530706 rom on my EDM/AUDM ecu, which originally had a 96530006 rom on it. Reducing assync accel contribution has been the only thing that reduces the noise, but i'd have to completely disable it to eliminate the noise, which makes tip-in extremely sluggish.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I've got FIC 1100's and they are making the same buzzing sound on tip in from idle and won't hold idle at clutch in while moving. I've tried everything I know but can't figure it out.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dude
Did you ever get this resolved? I've got FIC 1100's and they are making the same buzzing sound on tip in from idle and won't hold idle at clutch in while moving. I've tried everything I know but can't figure it out.
Sort of a long shot, but have you checked your ground wiring?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Sort of a long shot, but have you checked your ground wiring?
No I haven't. I have checked just about everything else, to no avail. I've swapped BOV, injectors, ISCV, cleaned MAF, switched ROMs, and still it stumbles. It only seems to make this noise at tip in, and is a little rough from 1-2k RPM. It drives fine, idles ok, just won't catch at clutch in or when free revving.

My tuner is leaning towards SD, but I think there's something not right causing this issue.

Are you suggesting I check the resistance from the injector harness to negative batt terminal???
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry for necroposting? What was the end of the story? Did you manage to figure out what was it?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Still makes the buzzing noise just off idle. Idle still stumbles at clutch in. Have not switched to SD as of yet. I'm convinced that the stumble is ROM/ECU related and the only real fix will be SD. The buzzing, I have no idea, but it doesn't seem to affect anything other than making noise.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

I've had a new battery, DIY grounding kit, Spoolinup COP kit installed since the first post (as well as the BBK lite turbo and 3" o2 dump). Immediately after having the turbo and o2 installed the scalings needed to be changed to 1008, so they're now in the same area as most others. Not sure what the workshop did to cause this. None of this helped with the tip-in problem though.

I have found that I can get stock like tip-in, with no hesitation and no injector noise when I change the scalings and latencies down a ridiculous amount:

14v - 0.696
Scaling - 650

I read in the advanced fuel control thread that the total async contribution contains the injectory latency value, so I worked my way down from 1.008 until the tip-in noise was gone and adjusted the scaling to increase fuel so the low trim was ~ +5%. They idle fine like this, but my fuel maps would look crazy if I even attempted to chhange them to handle the extra fuel.

I'm hoping this means something to someone... could it be a mechanical issue?

Quick Reply: FIC 1100 tip-in issue