Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
any updates?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vmrevo9
any updates?
working out all the fine kinks in the car.. once thats done i will begin power tuning it. its always a surprise to the owner when i find things wrong that he doesnt even know exist and im doing it remotely.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give us the run down when your done? Sounds like he was worse off then he thought orignally?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
oh wow well good thing your helping him out
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Get you rmoney back. It looks like he tuned it with a random number generator.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn that ws a really bad tune, almost looks like he tried to tune it with the narrow band lol
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by THUB
I laffed.
I did the same without reading this quote, which made me laugh again
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Give us the run down when your done? Sounds like he was worse off then he thought orignally?
well he put his old tune on, and timing was all over the place as well.. so i had him start from scratch.

hes a really picky guy, so when i mentioned things i seen i didnt like he went to work.. i seen right away the engine was creating a lot of additional background noise which requires the knock multipliers to be worked a bit.. but i stressed to him that before this is done we must trouble shoot every part on the engine bay first for issues.. example being.. bov hitting the radiator shroud and causing noise/vibrations.. things of that nature.

normally this only takes like 10min for the average person to check.. he spent a whole day inspecting his car and checking everything and even filled it up with 100octane fuel to confirm what i said was right.. so now that he has proof im right and he has inspected his engine 100% we will now proceed to the multiplier adjustments on the knock sensor and then power tune.

hopefully we will have a smooth timing curve, and no hickups for the end result, which should result in nice smooth consistent power.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'm a little curious why all these stock motor cars need their knock tables tweaked?

It seems like almost all your threads point out that you tweak the knock tables on stock motors because of some noise issue.

What are the main reasons you are finding that require this to be done?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
I'm a little curious why all these stock motor cars need their knock tables tweaked?

It seems like almost all your threads point out that you tweak the knock tables on stock motors because of some noise issue.

What are the main reasons you are finding that require this to be done?
putting a safe and very conservative tune on a car and having it constantly knock 1-3 counts during WOT pulls with stock multipliers.

reving the car in neutral and having the car knock 5-10 counts randomly.

cruising the car and having it show counts of knock randomly.

im really shocked you never ran into this when you dyno tuned cars. i know im not the only one who does this.. i get tunes from everyone and they all edit them one time or another. there's only 1-2 other tuners i know that don't and they just tell the customer that "1-3 counts is fine". I don't agree 1-3 counts is fine.. why? simply because 1-3 counts is enough to jump to the low octane map and run less timing in turn killing power during a run and making the car inconsistent in general when doing pulls.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
putting a safe and very conservative tune on a car and having it constantly knock 1-3 counts during WOT pulls with stock multipliers.

im really shocked you never ran into this when you dyno tuned cars. i know im not the only one who does this.. i get tunes from everyone and they all edit them one time or another.
Hmmm, interesting. Do you see this on the 4B11's too, or just the 4G63's currently?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Bryan, 4B11s do seem to be noisy 1200-2000rpm, probably valve train.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
Hmmm, interesting. Do you see this on the 4B11's too, or just the 4G63's currently?
I have not tuned any 4b11's yet. I will soon, but havent yet. from my understanding the 4b11's take a bit more timing like a subaru right?

i find the evo 8/9 take very very little timing compared to some cars like the Hondas and stuff.

a huge flag in false knock to me is when a car has lots of inconsistent knock even when you raise the octane rating in the fuel being used so high that it makes no sense and the tunes conservative.

Even the DSM's take more timing then evo's with the same 4g63. way more.
The head must make a huge difference in how the engine flows on the 8/9 evos.. especially the 9.

over the years mitsubishi has changed head design so many times.

the 1g's had different head
the 2g's had different head (took more timing then 1g if i remember correctly, but for some reason the 1g stock timing map was horribly aggressive)
then all the different flavors of evos with different heads.

all with similar if not the same knock sensor system. i remember i used to tune my 2g with a pocketlogger
and safc and had no way of monitoring knock before i bought the dsmlink and we used to determine knock by
the ecu retarding timing on the pocketlogger.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jul 15, 2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa

im really shocked you never ran into this when you dyno tuned cars. i know im not the only one who does this.. i get tunes from everyone and they all edit them one time or another. there's only 1-2 other tuners i know that don't and they just tell the customer that "1-3 counts is fine". I don't agree 1-3 counts is fine.. why? simply because 1-3 counts is enough to jump to the low octane map and run less timing in turn killing power during a run and making the car inconsistent in general when doing pulls.
1-3 counts doesn't "jump the ecu to low octane maps". Over a LONG time it can degrade the OCTANE NUMBER which in turn INTERPOLATES the high and low maps to a degree. I would never allow someone to change my stock motor knock maps higher. The factory has them there for a reason. Because high paid engineers have determined what is and is not safe.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gkania
1-3 counts doesn't "jump the ecu to low octane maps". Over a LONG time it can degrade the OCTANE NUMBER which in turn INTERPOLATES the high and low maps to a degree. I would never allow someone to change my stock motor knock maps higher. The factory has them there for a reason. Because high paid engineers have determined what is and is not safe.
so you would rather your car pull timing randomly even knowing your tune was perfectly good and since you dont want to touch your knock sensitivity settings you just live with the car pulling timing and making inconsistent pulls off and on?

because the above is exactly what would happen to you.. and your car will be very inconsistent and slow.

my personal car was horrible with stock filters, it barely made any power and knocked like crazy.. 36 counts of knock just reving it up. what is it again 36 counts = 6-7deg?

remove my cams and what happens? knocks gone.. what cams? kelford 272.

theres one example.. i have tons more.

Quick Reply: How unsafe is my new tune?