Notices
ECU Flash

Disabled Lean Spool-Now worst Log ever-Log Attached

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Disabled Lean Spool-Now worst Log ever-Log Attached

So I disabled Lean Spool on my EVO 8 ecu 1G dsm. Now since then My logs are terrible. I know that it will be rich and I will need to adjust that. But what i cant figure out is why my O2 feedback shows that it needs to add fuel but the voltage from the O2 sensor shows the oppsite. 0.9 is rich and 0 is lean. Just before it passes the load where it switches loop it is at 0.6 and adding 12% more fuel. Also my knock voltage seems to go above 1 quite often but there isnt any counts of knock in the knock sum table. This entire map is pretty bad. And the way the motor runs is even worse. It doesnt look like the O2 sensor is bad but from the voltage and the trims dont add up. I am very much new to tunning this car and have been having alot of problems. Also I dont have a sensor that can tell me what my MAP pessure is. I have a greddy profec boost controller, but nothing that is connected to the ECU. So to try to make it simple. I took off most of my mods. I only have a few that have to stay because they are hard wired now. Here is my basic mod list.

1G dsm, AWD talon 6bolt-4bolt

Greddy Profec Boost Controller
Translator w/ 3in GM mas
3 in exhaust.
N/A Throttle body
The only intake I have right now has the large belmouth for the 2G maf. so the maf is there but it is not connected.
FMIC short route
wally 255

What I have installed,
450cc inj,
14b turbo,
stock mani both intake/exhaust
stock O2 pipe
stock fuel rail
Attached Files
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:00 PM

bump for some assistance..
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

can't see External Wideband AF Ratio in the log. haven't you checked it in evoscan ?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
do yourself and your car a favor and invest in a wideband.. narrowband is practically useless for tuning WOT.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
do yourself and your car a favor and invest in a wideband.. narrowband is practically useless for tuning WOT.
Wide band is in the logs, The label for it is AFR to the right of AFR MAP. I have an AEM UEGO that i was using in p04 mode to simulate narrow band, but i have since added a bung in the DP and Have put the factory O2 sensor back in. The WBO2 is in the dp. The reason I brought up the narrow band O2 sensor problem is that the car uses that to control fuel up till the point it switches Loop. I am wondering why I am getting varying data output when the sensor is reading almost spot on. yet adding 12% MORE fuel. Maybe I am not explaining myself, ALso when this is happening you can see the WB02 results in the log and they are slowly tapring from 14 down to 13-12 range for spool up. You can then see the narrow band switch off and there are just 0's from that point on. something isnt right. Also after checking all the connections last night I had unpluged the narrow band sensor and checked to make sure there wasnt oil or crud in the connectors and then re connected it and after that the car doesnt want to idle right. It used to idle fine at stoichiometric 14.7 and after start it now leans out to 18.4 in evoscan. Now in the logs the fuel map is calling for stoichiometric yet fuel is still being added. And then the knock issues. And something is causing it to break up now. Ugh. I wonder if my ECU is going. The map is pretty good. Maybe just a bit rich due to lean spool being disabled but other than that the map should have this motor running much better than it is.

Originally Posted by stunt2
can't see External Wideband AF Ratio in the log. haven't you checked it in evoscan ?
I have EVOScan and have been looking at it. which are you referring to? I can attach my map if you want to see it.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by enash99
Wide band is in the logs, The label for it is AFR to the right of AFR MAP. I have an AEM UEGO that i was using in p04 mode to simulate narrow band, but i have since added a bung in the DP and Have put the factory O2 sensor back in. The WBO2 is in the dp. The reason I brought up the narrow band O2 sensor problem is that the car uses that to control fuel up till the point it switches Loop. I am wondering why I am getting varying data output when the sensor is reading almost spot on. yet adding 12% MORE fuel. Maybe I am not explaining myself, ALso when this is happening you can see the WB02 results in the log and they are slowly tapring from 14 down to 13-12 range for spool up. You can then see the narrow band switch off and there are just 0's from that point on. something isnt right. Also after checking all the connections last night I had unpluged the narrow band sensor and checked to make sure there wasnt oil or crud in the connectors and then re connected it and after that the car doesnt want to idle right. It used to idle fine at stoichiometric 14.7 and after start it now leans out to 18.4 in evoscan. Now in the logs the fuel map is calling for stoichiometric yet fuel is still being added. And then the knock issues. And something is causing it to break up now. Ugh. I wonder if my ECU is going. The map is pretty good. Maybe just a bit rich due to lean spool being disabled but other than that the map should have this motor running much better than it is.

I have EVOScan and have been looking at it. which are you referring to? I can attach my map if you want to see it.
yes i am well aware the factory narrowband front o2 sensor is for closed loop operation only. lean spool only effects WOT, so that shouldn't of effected any of your closed loop operation. what airflow hz is the car idling at? misfires would be ignition related. since the cars so old it could be anything going bad. injectors, pump, etc?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
yes i am well aware the factory narrowband front o2 sensor is for closed loop operation only. lean spool only effects WOT, so that shouldn't of effected any of your closed loop operation. what airflow hz is the car idling at? misfires would be ignition related. since the cars so old it could be anything going bad. injectors, pump, etc?
The car does miss uptop every now and again. The coilpack is orginal along with the rest of the ignition, but the plug wires are new, inj are almost new, FP is new is a wally 255, so most are new. I am working on things. I was hoping someone can look at this log and give me an idea of what is wrong with my tune that could be causing this.

sigh*
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job on all the mods. Lets see if we can help a bit here. First off, you're logging too many items, the more you items logged the less sample per second. My suggestion would be

TPS
RPM
Timming
Knock
AFR
Fuel trim low
Fuel trim med
Fuel trim high

Now, the knock voltage is not directly related to the knock count, there is a really big thread started by jcsbanks on how knock control works. But in the short term, don't worry about knock voltage, only knock count.

How did you turn off lean spool? Periphery bits or start/stop RPM. My personal choice is start stop RPM as it's not clear to me if you affect any other routines with periphery bits. Second question on lean spool is why you turned it off? There are some very valid reasons, like your drag racing and I can see advantages on keeping the AFRs at a constant level for that application. On the evidence of your logs, which need to cover a pull from 2500 to 7000 RPM, just take some fuel out of the map from 4500 above 200 load.

Now to trims feedback etc. I recently went from stock 560s to PTE780s. All I did was get the scaling roughly right, which yours look to be, then adjusted the latencys. For a negative fuel trim low, reduce the latency in the 12V range. See how you get on with that. I didn't look at 02 feedback or voltage, no need to.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:10 AM

Great info, I had a feeling i was over thinking it. Now one of the things i did thinking i has a problem with my o2 sensor and possible problems with the connects to the temp sensor was to cut my old wiring harness that went to the coolent temp, the O2, the temp guage, and the A/C temp sensor. I went to a junk yard and cut out the same amout from an 90 turbo model and solderd in a much better looking section fo the wiring harness. One problem tho, there are 2 yellow wires with green stripe that I am not sure which one connects to which one? with 2 being the same I figured It didnt matter, But since then I have a hard time even getting it to run right now. its gotten worse. UGH.. so today i am going to try to figure that out.

I did disable lean spool from the bits. I have since gone back in and readjusted it to be back on. It seems tho I have now gone back wards.. Soon as I get it running again I will try your ideas, And post the results.