Notices
ECU Flash

Tuning Method questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning Method questions

I've been gradually learning to tune my evo over the past few years and I'm pretty comfortable with most things, mind you I have minimal mods so my tuning is mostly Boost, Timing, and AFR.

I've read alot of threads on tuning most notably the "How to tune an Evo" stickied thread, but I have a question on some tuning recommendations I've read along my journey.

Can someone explain the tuning method where you set boost low (10 psi), tune AFR/Timing, then set boost again (15p psi), tune AFR/Timing, then again (20 psi), tune AFR/Timing and so on...?

Say you are running 20 psi and your spool up AFR is 12.5, 12.0, to 11.5 at peak torque then flat out to redline and 10 psi hits (a) load at 12.5 AFR then 15 psi hits (b) load at 12.0 AFR and finally 20 psi hits (c) load at 11.5 psi...

If you started tuning at low boost (10 psi) would you tune the AFR in this respective load column to 12.5 AFR through redline? And so on for each boost increment followed by smoothing between these adjustments?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Bump.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I tune for my desired boost level and make the transition smooth. That should put your part throttle pretty much where you want it, if needed you can do some minor fine-tuning after that.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
I tune for my desired boost level and make the transition smooth. That should put your part throttle pretty much where you want it, if needed you can do some minor fine-tuning after that.
This is exactly what I've been doing and it has been working out great for me.

I've just seen people on this forum recommend the method of discussion in this thread and I'm curious about the details.

Can anyone elaborate on the set boost low, tune, set boost higher, tune, set boost to desired level, tune, method?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by krazykorean84
Can anyone elaborate on the set boost low, tune, set boost higher, tune, set boost to desired level, tune, method?
It is just that...you set the boost and you tune for that level to find the best power and then when you're satisfied move up boost and tune again the same as you did before, and then move up boost once again and tune.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
It is just that...you set the boost and you tune for that level to find the best power and then when you're satisfied move up boost and tune again the same as you did before, and then move up boost once again and tune.
Can you elaborate a bit more? Is it like I described in my original post?

Set boost low (10 psi) tune AFR for 12.5ish through load/rpm range, then set boost mid (15 psi) tune AFR 12.0ish through load/rpm range, and then finally set boost to desired (20 psi) tune AFR 11.7-11.5 peak and then down through load/rpm range?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Set the AFR the same as a WOT pull like 12.5 - 12.0 - 11.5 for all boost levels. Not a certain AFR for that level of boost.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do by tuning from 10 to 15 to 20 psi.

The way I tuned was by flooring it from various RPM levels instead of by boost levels so I could hit more cells and have the correct AFR.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would tune as usual for eqch boost level. Correct me if I am wrong, you want to Target afr as you normally would. I would not run a 12.5 afr to redline at any boost level on pump gas. Keep it safe. Same thing with timing. I would make small changes on those areas if any. There is not need to try and put peak torque timing as low with the low load areas as you would at higher load levels when running low boost/load.

So basically if you don't have a way to monitor egt. I would take it slow and conservative on afr in lower boost levels/load. Make sure there are no super rich/lean spots, work on smoothness. Increasing the timing slightly can improve gas mileage in those low load/rpm areas.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Set the AFR the same as a WOT pull like 12.5 - 12.0 - 11.5 for all boost levels. Not a certain AFR for that level of boost.

The way I tuned was by flooring it from various RPM levels instead of by boost levels so I could hit more cells and have the correct AFR.

The way highlighted would allow you to fill in the transition spots like if you happen to down shift or are going up a steep hill.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I'm assuming the reason for tuning at various boost levels is a method to tune all load/rpm cells in the open loop range. I'm not really sure what the purpose of doing it this way is, just trying to understand it.

Originally Posted by mt057
I would tune as usual for eqch boost level. Correct me if I am wrong, you want to Target afr as you normally would. I would not run a 12.5 afr to redline at any boost level on pump gas.
If you tuned as usual (12.5, 12.0 spool up then peak at 11.5) for all boost levels then wouldn't you essentially be tuning your higher rpm ranges for 11.5 at all loads? Then retuning your spool AFR again and again for each boost level? I would think that at lower boost levels a slightly leaner mixture would still be safe and you'd have more power/quicker spool.

This definitely sounds like a much better way to hit the majority of all the cells. I'll have to try it out.

Like I said before, I normally tune by setting my desired boost (20+psi) and then tune spool 12.5-12.0 til 11.5 at peak and then flat out til redline. Then go back and make a smooth transition across the board. I've just come across posts where people say:

"Oh, remember you should set boost low first, tune, then set boost higher, tune then set boost to final and tune again."

Seems like alot of extra steps to me unless there is truly an important reason to do it this way. Just tryin to understand is all. I know its a bit difficult to understand the thoughts comin outta my head but thanks for tryin. I really appreciate the input everyone!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I don't remember seeing anyone say that actually, lol
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

I don't remember seeing anyone say that actually, lol

Just a few I've come across over the last couple years. Saw it again somewhere last few weeks which got me wondering about it.

Originally Posted by BillSpec
Set boost low, adjust fuel, then timing, then boost higher, fuel, then timing.

Finalize fuel...

After reading your post, install your parts then tinker with ign adv. You will pick up tq with your dp to put your setup to almost where its supposed to be. Pk looks good. Pull a degree or 2 out and if it doesnt lose power then I would leave it. But its about right. Numbers are decent for stock dp. Good job.

Btw I was saying you can taper to 12 around redline, there are tons of cars on 93 down here running agressive fueling, but note, it is agressive.

Originally Posted by Chabada15
and what i do is set boost first...if im turning it very far up then i do it in stages, i then adjust AFR then i adjust timing...just my method i find it to be the safest...just me though

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Thats how I do it as well. If you want a very thorough map, tune at stock boost so you hit all of the cells for low boost, then increase boost just enough to jump up to the next row of cells. Continue this as far as you want to go. This way, no matter what boost level you set the MBC for, you're tuned for it. This is very helpful in winters where MBC's tend to fluctuate from the cold weather affecting the spring rate. Once you dial in the map from low boost to high boost, it wouldn't hurt to do a few runs at each boost level again to make sure it still does a clean run, regardless of which cells it goes thru. This takes time but its a VERY thorough map setting.

Some people that run alky kits which uses a safety feature to lower boost to the minumum setting will start their tuning there (12psi I think with the stock wastegate). Just because you have the car jump to a lower boost level doesn't mean you need to have the car be a complete DOG when the safety feature kicks in

I realize there are many different methods out there. I just wanted to understand this one a bit better. I think I got it now. Seems like alot of extra steps though, so I'll probably just stick to what I've been doing all along. Thanks again everyone!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, when they say "low" boost, they mean stock boost. Not 10, 15, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Ah, when they say "low" boost, they mean stock boost. Not 10, 15, etc.
Ok, that makes more sense. When you get into the load ranges where 20+ psi travels, then you definitely wouldn't want your AFR to be higher than mid 11's. Great, this clears up my confusion. Thanks again.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 05:40 PM

this is a good but interesting at the same time trying to get those straight out smooth spot wish yall the best of luck