Notices
ECU Flash

Weired starting problem, just cranks when warm, starts after reflash

Old Jul 2, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weired starting problem, just cranks when warm, starts after reflash

So I'm having a new starting issue that just popped up. I have recently done some mods to the car but the issue did not arise until I started tuning and then I haven't really changed anything that would affect the starting I would think.

Anyway here are the symptoms.

Car starts fine when cold, I think, I'm testing this now, but after driving around if I shut it off. often times it will not restart and will just crank. However if I reflash the ecu and change something on the map (example disable or enable the immobilizer periphery bit FAA bit 3) it will fire right up. It has nothing to do with the periphery bit because the next time the car is turned off I have the same problem and have to change the bit back. I figured the immob bit was a good example because it should have nothing to do with starting the car really. Yes I know what it does but my immobilizer is properly setup so the car starts with the bit set at 0 or 1.

Also if I shut the car off and then try to start it immediately it will start right up, the car has to sit for about 60 seconds before it will fail to start.

Currently I am using the Tephramod v7 recompile map with mods and maf 88590715, I have tried flashing to the tephramod v7 base map with no changes made to it and have the same problem. When I flash back to the stock map the car will turn over and fire but dies as soon as I let off the key.

I'm letting the car sit right now to see if the problem persists. Currently it is just cranking so I will see what happens after an hour or so.

Valet mode is not turned on, and also while in this state evoscan cannot connect to the car. Ecuflash has no issues connecting and reflashing and the car will start right afterwards. Also if I just flash it having made no changes to the rom the car will still not start.

Any ideas what could be wrong? or where to start looking? Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Last edited by akeric; Jul 2, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Update, after 40 minutes still won't start.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might not hurt to check fuse #1 under the dash...mine blew and this is what it was doing.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

nope fuse is good.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me on an IX. Very weird I know. Disabling the immobilizer did the trick...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

yeah the issue seems to have evaporated for now. I know this is going to be one of those fantastic problems that comes and goes and strands me somewhere because I didn't bring my laptop. I will update this thread if I learn anymore.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 02:56 PM

Stock injectors?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

yeah stock injectors. The problem seems to have gone away so I have no idea what was going on. As long as it doesn't come back.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:45 PM

Having the same issues. Anyone find some solutions for this? Had no luck with the search. I there was a list of 5 things to try, check, or replace, what would they be?