Notices
ECU Flash

boost tuning for high altitude

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question boost tuning for high altitude

I've got a long road trip coming up where I'll be doing a lot of driving at high altitude, between 6000 and 10,000 ft. In the past, I've found my car has some problems at high altitude. I can't be completely sure what it is, but it sounds like bov fluttering and compressor surge. This is mainly a problem at part-throttle, low-to-mid rpm while going uphill.

If someone could clarify what is typically going on at high altitude like this, that'd be great. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to what to change I'm all ears.

I'm using Tephra V7 if that happens to open up any other options/fixes.

- Robert
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an expert, nor am I quite at those altitudes you are talking about, I am right around 5000 ft. I had a similar bov flutter/compressor surge issue at part throttle while going up hill at around 3k-4k rpm. I noticed if I got off the gas I got either a bov flutter noise or a bucking and more severe flutter which I would assume is compressor surge. In my case I change out my bov and the problem was resolved (was using an aftermarket GFB stealth fx and switched back to the stocker).

You mentioned you are using Tephra V7, so I would also ask do you have ECU controlled boost? I know there is a setting when you set up ECU controlled boost to define what the pressure you are at is, and that depends on altitude.

Just some ideas..