Notices
ECU Flash

Simular issues with two different versions of the same rom... Bad ECU???

Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simular issues with two different versions of the same rom... Bad ECU???

Ok here is the issue. I have a 2G DSM with an EVO8 ECU running a variation of the 9653 rom. the car has been running pretty solid sense I got the car up and running about two months ago. Originally I was running Tephra5.1 and after making necessary changes to injector size I had the car running good enough to use as a DD, trims were well under the +-5% rule of thumb. Then one night I had an issue where I had lost good connection to the ignition module when I turned a corner and the car sputtered to a halt. Sense that time (after spending a few days trouble shooting) the car no longer holds any saved trims, even after two solid weeks of driving the car back and forth to work. That seems to be the only issue with V5.1.

Now a week ago I decided to try V7 of the ROM and after having some issues with the car not wanting to start (user error with the ROM install) I was finally able to get the car up and running. Here is where things are get frustrating. For the life of me I can’t seem to get the CEL for the Evap, EGR, and FPR solenoids to turn off (all have been removed)... using the same injector size/latencies and MAF data as the v5.1 ROM (straight copy and paste) the car runs terribly lean in open loop from a cold start, and continues to run lean until I force the car into closed loop by pressing on the gas pedal once or twice. but I can’t do that for at least the first minute of the car running but if I don’t press the gas pedal the car will continue to stay in open loop and run lean (max time I let it run like that was just over two minutes). Once it is in close loop it will drop down to the 14.7 range and run there fine all day long... O… And the ECU still will not save any stored trim data.

Could something have happened to the ECU when the ignition problem happened a few weeks ago to cause there strange issues. I opened the case and didn’t see anything physically wrong with the ECU, nor did I smell anything burnt. I would like to continue to run the most current version of Tephra mod, but….

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the rear O2 simulator in V7 along with the heater patch...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops
Use the rear O2 simulator in V7 along with the heater patch...
I am... Just curious, how's that pertain to the issues I am having exactly?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Confirm that pin #80 is getting a CONSTANT +12v. If it loses power...ever...you will lose your stored trims.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Confirm that pin #80 is getting a CONSTANT +12v. If it loses power...ever...you will lose your stored trims.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
I will double check pin 80 tonight just to see but normally even after I have been driving the car for 20-30 min I get nothing in the stored in the LTFT before shutting the car down... Although I know that if I dont cycle the car through enough times they never transfer from STFT to LTFT... I will check it tonight and see what I come up with.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Do the LTFT ever move?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 92LaserRs
Do the LTFT ever move?
No... They hanvent moved in a while. last time I checked on the LTFT before the car quiting on me was 2 or 3 days before the connector came loose on the ignition mod. After that the car sat down for about 3 days with the battery out and sense then I have been looking at cranking up the boost via ECU based boost cont but the lack of LTFT movement has me conserned. especially now with the car running lean when in OL like it is. Something does'nt seem right.

Last edited by japanevo; Aug 30, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Like Freddie said earlier, enable your Rear O2 in the periphery bits and see if your fuel trims now work. Disabling it through the periphery bits can affect the fuel trims.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Aug 30, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Like Freddie said earlier, enable your Rear O2 in the periphery bits and see if your fuel trims now work. Disabling it through the periphery bits can affect the fuel trims.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
Ah.. I was under the impression that the rear O2 didn’t have an effect on the ECU's fueling like it does on my STI. Disconnecting and disabling the rear O2 on the older STI's causes the close loop fueling to run about 1 AFR leaner... I will go back thru the bits and make sure that is enabled. Now that I think about it I vaguely remember something a while back about it... But then my ROM didn’t change much from a year and a half ago to now. So the question would be why all of a sudden would that be an issue that just poped its head up like this??? Strange...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. I went back thru my rom and fixed a couple of things.... I turned the periphery bits for the rear O2 back on and made sure that the bits and what not for the CEL's I was getting were truly off (which they were). I went out this morning and changed the starter (totally unrelated problem) and re-flashed the rom to the ECU... The CEL for EGR. EVAP, and FPR are gone at least for the moment and the LTFT has started taking some changes, however... I am still having the issue with the ECU running abnormally lean under certain conditions.

On initial start up the car will run lean (18-19AFR) until it warms up enough to enter CL fueling... normally I have to force the car into CL fueling after it has ran for about 60 seconds by giving it some gas. Once I do the car goes from OL to CL and the AFR will drop to the appropriate 14.7ish range. If I don’t give the car any gas to force it into CL mode it will continue to run in OL at the abnormally lean condition for god knows how long... The most I have let it go was just over two minuets then it started sounding like it was having issues so I stepped on the gas and once it came back to idle it was right back down where it was suppose to be bouncing around 14.7.

Now here is where it starts getting a little weird (new issue). Today after I got the car back up and running for a bit and drove it to the electric motor repair shop to pick up the motor I had dropped off. I got back in the car to drive off and the car, at idle, was running around 15-15.5 AFR in close loop... but only at idle once I was on the road cruising it ran fine in the 14.7 range...

IDK. Maybe it is time to consider a replacement ECU... in consistent issues are a PITA.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

There are warmup and CTS adder tables you need to adjust to help with your cold start.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

What are your fuel trims at idle? If it's adding too much fuel at idle, it will be too lean when it starts in open loop.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Alright, I got the car back up and running again last night and it isn't to bad however there is still something wrong with either ECUflash or the ECU itsself... It didn't mater where I got the information from (I have multiple "older" versions of my ROM saved as backups after I make changes) I cant "copy and paste" any information from one ROM to another. Somewhere between the save and the upload to the ECU it gets all f-ed, up and it wasn't until I sat down and changed all my information cell by cell that it finally took a clean upload and ran correctly...