Notices
ECU Flash

EvoScan MMCFlash ECU Reflashing Software

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
So this just adds the ability to flash these other vehicles?

No map editing capabilities or anything? Correct?

Did I read correctly that it can flash MazdaSpeed cars? USDM as well? I have never seen XML for these. Is that provided as well?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm also confused.

Ok so you read the ROM with MMCFlash, and then use ECUFlash to modify the ROM's.
Then you use the MMCFlash to write the file into the ECU.

What are the advantages over just using ECUFlash?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:21 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
You can reflash many many other Mitsubishi that ecuflash can't. We as a community have struggled with ecuflash to support all the Mitsubishi vehicle ecus.

Correct, you read the ROM with MMCFlash, and then use ECUFlash to modify the ROM's.
Then you use the MMCFlash to set the correct checksum in PC memory, and then Write the ROM into the ECU.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
Silver Sponsor

Ecuflash's biggest drawback is that it doesn't know how to calculate the many different styles of checksums required to flash a lot of mitsubishi vehicles. And Ecuflash does not have special boot loaders to flash serial chip memory on mitsubishi ecus such as Mitsubishi VR4.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Thanks Hamish.

So with currently poorly supported ROM's (Like Evo 9 GT rom 89280002), will this help at all? Does it allow any further tuning with "lesser" defined ROM's?

Can options like Speed Density still be applied?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For those that can use Ecuflash at the moment, I understand there is no benefit in this product. It only benefits those that ECuflash won't work with. Due to you editing the rom still in Ecuflash, you use the current xmls.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This will be helpful for the GVR4 customers almost immediately.

-Jamie
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab

Did I read correctly that it can flash MazdaSpeed cars? USDM as well? I have never seen XML for these. Is that provided as well?
Can I get this answered?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Can I get this answered?
Since Ecuflash is meant to be used to tweak tables (basically acting as a hex editor only), I think that we, the community, are meant to flesh out tables for any new platforms (just like we did for the Evo 10).
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
Since Ecuflash is meant to be used to tweak tables (basically acting as a hex editor only), I think that we, the community, are meant to flesh out tables for any new platforms (just like we did for the Evo 10).
So putting that as a flashable car is useless right now if you can't even change the ROM.

Why is it so hard to get actual information about this potentially $300+ product? I'm cornfused.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
So putting that as a flashable car is useless right now if you can't even change the ROM.

Why is it so hard to get actual information about this potentially $300+ product? I'm cornfused.
At least for the Evo 10, Tactrix (Colby) did gather up people to help with making the first set of definitions. Looks like for MMCFlash, there isn't even an effort to do that. Still, at least it does offer ROM download and flashing capability, so ROMs are available for people to start deciphering tables or start doing disassembly. MMCFlash is a 100% "grassroots" product in that regard.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
At least for the Evo 10, Tactrix (Colby) did gather up people to help with making the first set of definitions. Looks like for MMCFlash, there isn't even an effort to do that. Still, at least it does offer ROM download and flashing capability, so ROMs are available for people to start deciphering tables or start doing disassembly. MMCFlash is a 100% "grassroots" product in that regard.
Well that is one of the parts where I am confused. For $300+, what is this giving me other then the ability to flash some cars, and only the ones where XML are available.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:05 AM
Silver Sponsor

So this just adds the ability to flash these other vehicles?
No map editing capabilities or anything? Correct?
Hi Bryan, yes that is correct, it gives you the ability to flash many vehicles. No map editing capabilities. yes it flashes many Mazda Speed cars, including USDM. There has been no openECU xmls for many of these vehicles, mostly because theres never been any Openport software to successfully read/write these ecus. And the closed software that does have the tables mapped out, costs in excess of $10,000 from ecutek or paisini.

I understand that not everyone may know how to create table xmls for ROMs, but there are hundreds in the openecu community that do. And many tuners may want to get a step ahead of the competition by developing their own xmls. like AMS do for the EvoX Mivec and SST tuning. Lots of tuners keep xmls well guarded. But there is also a lot posted on forums. If you need some xmls for a specific rom, post it on the relevant forums. I will also be collecting existing/new xmls and posting them on the EvoScan roms and xmls database here:
http://www.evoscan.com/roms/mitsubishi/
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evoscan
Hi Bryan, yes that is correct, it gives you the ability to flash many vehicles. No map editing capabilities. yes it flashes many Mazda Speed cars, including USDM. There has been no openECU xmls for many of these vehicles, mostly because theres never been any Openport software to successfully read/write these ecus. And the closed software that does have the tables mapped out, costs in excess of $10,000 from ecutek or paisini.
So what's the advantage of that then? If there are no XML then the ability of flashing is currently useless.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Can you also READ a rom from a MazdaSpeed ECU with this and save it?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:36 AM
Silver Sponsor

Everybody whom has bought mmcflash so far, has extensive knowledge at creating their own xmls, its fairly simple for most in the community. Thats how ecuflash got all of its xmls. from the openecu community.

Bryan, yes you can READ a rom from MazdaSpeed ECU, and you can edit it with a hex editor or map editor, add performance enhanced Timing and AirFuel Ratios, and WRITE it back to the ECU. You can even do mail in ECU tunes for Mazda from those that offer it. But Mazda specific talk is best left for the Mazda forums.

Quick Reply: EvoScan MMCFlash ECU Reflashing Software