Notices

Help with SST shift- boost spike with FP Red

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope it works for you.
I previously had my timing falling away pretty rapidly in the higher Load cells previously (as most maps do, it's safe!) and it did spike a bit.
but if you continue the ~1-2* per column for your 300/320 (assuming you are hitting 280 or so peak) it might help those spikes.

the downside is - if you DO massively overboost, you're hitting Load cells that may make the motor knock a fair bit. But ... if it's set up right you really shouldn't be overboosting into those Load cells.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess I could always set the boost limit table to 290-295 and set the timer to 2000.
That way it will allow some time for the load to go up during a shift but not if I overboost for whatever reasons
Old Oct 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Lower wgdc at the rpm point you are shifting from, and the rpm you are hitting the next gear at. Example, if you shift at 7600 (I didnt see cams or springs in mod list), drop wgdc at 7.5k and 8k. A 7600 shift on an MR should hit the next gear at around 5900. you can try lowering that one as well. If you are short shifting, the 74 at 3500 might also give you some issues. This will only apply to table 1A. 1B is for 6th, so you should already have reduced values there.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
He's running a small ROM Patch I put together to do that automatically. It reduces WGDC at WOT upshift by zeroing out any positive error-correction factor.

According to Black E, the instant WGDC drop did help to reduce the overboost condition (note: "reduce", not "eliminate") but he was finding the boost level in the next gear was lagging below target and struggling to recover in a timely manner.

Effectively, this approach traded in some over-target boost for some under-target boost - not ideal, but possibly a safer direction to come from.

Last I heard, he was looking to fine-tune some EC tables to see if there was a better balance to be found.

Rich
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

sorry i haven't updated this thread recently, i have been chasing other SST problems but i'll report back soon
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by black E
sorry i haven't updated this thread recently, i have been chasing other SST problems but i'll report back soon
What other SST problems?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

the rich upshifts, i started a new thread for that.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Earlier in this thread there was talk of boost spikes between upshifts where boost could venture past 30 psi and cause problems. While these 1-2 psi spikes have never caused problems before, pulling out of high G corners on road courses with Pirelli Slick tires is starting to push the limits. I've occasionally hit the "free rev" scenario in 4th and 5th gears and don't want to pop my motor because of this!

So far the only fix is to reduce boost levels from where I was tuned for on the dyno which doesn't really help me stay competitive with other time attack cars as I'm dropping a good 20-30 whp/wtq to accomodate this spike. Part of it is I rev to 7000-7500 and then upshift from 4th to 5th where rpm's drop to the boost happy 5500-6000 rpm range and boost spikes 3-4 psi and STAYS THERE. If you do a full gear pull it hits the normal 26-27 psi through that rpm range and all is well. While this 20g turbo and MX1 cams combo is great for response, I think it a bit too boost happy in certain situations.

If I lift throttle between that 4 to 5 upshift the boost also returns to the regular 26-27 psi levels. I thought the fix was to raise the timing values in the "Lower Bound Ignition Timing" tables so that timing doesn't retard as much between gears and increase boost. I'll have to try and log in a lower gear upshift on the street because it's not practical to test this anywhere but a race track or dyno otherwise. I mostly changed the lower bound timing values above 200 load so possibly it's dropping to a lower load where it still retards timing enough to spike the boost. I also have boost error correction turned off right now so it shouldn't be trying to get a higher target load and add WGDC or anything fancy either. I may try turning on just downward correction since possibly the load is increasing for a moment and it doesn't attempt to lower WGDC.

The problems started getting worse after the last dyno tune I did where we increased the preload on the Forge WGA by another 2 turns but reached 375 whp on a Mustang dyno right around 6000 rpm's. I held more boost at 5500+ which is great but I also had to reduce all my duty cycle tables to keep things in check. Another place I noticed that boost rises between shifts is just going to 5 psi and upshifting at part throttle, often it gains 2 psi and holds for a while so I can test some table adjustments and see if it effects the boost spikes/gains on upshifts and apply them to WOT upshifts if progress is made.

I'm going to try and turn on error correction to only allow downward correction and make sure my target loads are slightly lower than actual between gear shifts.

I'm also going to raise my "lower bound ignition timing" tables so there is less timing drop during upshifts given that load usually spikes slightly and report back on results.