Notices
ECU Flash

Final consensus on SD for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
When I converted my evo8 to speed density I fell in love with the car all over again. Idle, cruising, traffic...all were smoother and the car was much more docile, and the car made great power to boot.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If your cars drives extremely well on the MAF, then you may notice a few "issues" with the SD patch. If your car drives rough on the MAF due to things like VTA BOV, lightweight clutch, big cams, heavy porting, etc. then SD will probably feel like god's gift to your car.

My car was 100x better on SD, particularly at lower revs when climbing hills. The BOV flutter and compressor surge made it almost impossible to climb a hill at low speeds with the MAF. Smooth as silk on SD.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting. My car does run semi-smooth. Maybe i'll give it a shot myself and if I can't get it where I want it, i'll follow suit with professional tune.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what about the elevation change? i had Jestr SD tune me a while ago in ohio and the car got worse on the way home. once back in NJ i could barely move the thing.

has this been solved?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
sd works well but as mentioned in here if your tuner doesn't spend the time you will get the lean spike at stop and go. the only downside is you will require a retune each time you change a part that effects ve.

Dan: no if you travel its gonna effect it.. however Roadspike was making some interesting stuff regarding baro control on his 3d SD tuning stuff. there is also a baro table on 2d sd also.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Dan,

I have gone sea level to 6,000 feet without issues in my car. Luke put up a video as well showing that SD in his Evo going from 0-4500 wasnt an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWyf...el_video_title

Lean spikes, rich dips, alot depends on variables in the car. Thats just tuning, and if done remote, both sides having patience while it gets worked out. Every day I drive my car, tune other SD cars, remote tune, there are new tricks and new issues. Once upon a time I didnt even want to do SD and now I wont do anything but SD.

Properly setup almost all combos will be more drivable than stock. The further away from the norm the more time it takes or the less drivable it will end up depending on the combination.

aaron
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it might be a little too early to tell, but I made a SD rom tonight and drove around making adjustments until my laptop battery died and I am SOLD. I haven't gone into WOT tuning yet, but my fuel trims are damn near spot on. I started out in open loop, cruising in different gears at different RPM's, trying to get it to cruise at or near stoich. I turned closed loop back on once I felt all was well. My cruise trim is 2% and idle is at 5%. Again, I haven't gone passed ~5psi, but so far so good. It was actually a lot easier than I was anticipating.
I'll test WOT tuning some other night.

BUT, the big issue for me is cold start. I'm going to head back out in an hour or so, giving time for the motor to cool down, to see how it reacts. That is going to be the deciding factor if I reconnect my MAS or not.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
sd works well but as mentioned in here if your tuner doesn't spend the time you will get the lean spike at stop and go. the only downside is you will require a retune each time you change a part that effects ve.

Dan: no if you travel its gonna effect it.. however Roadspike was making some interesting stuff regarding baro control on his 3d SD tuning stuff. there is also a baro table on 2d sd also.
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Dan,

I have gone sea level to 6,000 feet without issues in my car. Luke put up a video as well showing that SD in his Evo going from 0-4500 wasnt an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWyf...el_video_title

Lean spikes, rich dips, alot depends on variables in the car. Thats just tuning, and if done remote, both sides having patience while it gets worked out. Every day I drive my car, tune other SD cars, remote tune, there are new tricks and new issues. Once upon a time I didnt even want to do SD and now I wont do anything but SD.

Properly setup almost all combos will be more drivable than stock. The further away from the norm the more time it takes or the less drivable it will end up depending on the combination.

aaron

haha. one says yes one says no. let me first state i like the both of you. you both have helped me in the past and i greatly appreciate it and taking the time to always answer my 500,000 questions while still dealing with many other members and job related stuff. so i dont want it to turn into a argument. but i am thinking about trying SD again but i dont know. from the last time i tried it till now i am sure it has evolved in many ways. just hard to decide you know.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Like Tom said there is a hook you can turn on in the V7 3D VE tables to auto correct for Baro. It could be setup really easy but I havent seen a need for it myself. We tested it up to 5,000 but dont have any higher elevation than that. I am sure at some point it does start to change though, we just havent run into it. Big humidity might make some difference but I have tuned at all the normal ambient air temps and havent seen that make a big difference.

Opinions are like...

I think how it gets set up initially also has something to do with it when you start making radical changes in elevation or enviroment.

Aaron
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Like Tom said there is a hook you can turn on in the V7 3D VE tables to auto correct for Baro. It could be setup really easy but I havent seen a need for it myself. We tested it up to 5,000 but dont have any higher elevation than that. I am sure at some point it does start to change though, we just havent run into it. Big humidity might make some difference but I have tuned at all the normal ambient air temps and havent seen that make a big difference.

Opinions are like...

I think how it gets set up initially also has something to do with it when you start making radical changes in elevation or enviroment.

Aaron
i understand. yea when i got tuned in Ohio and came back to NJ i couldn't get the car to move. literally it would not move. as soon as i let the clutch up and give it some gas to start it would just stall out or go so lean it would just shut off. id rev the **** out of it and still nothing. john lives in FL and i figured the car needed a tuner in the seat and i ended up putting a F-Con in it.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i understand. yea when i got tuned in Ohio and came back to NJ i couldn't get the car to move. literally it would not move. as soon as i let the clutch up and give it some gas to start it would just stall out or go so lean it would just shut off. id rev the **** out of it and still nothing. john lives in FL and i figured the car needed a tuner in the seat and i ended up putting a F-Con in it.

Dan, doesn't the F-Con do speed density? Your car seems to be running rather stellar.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor

read this.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...bles-baro.html targets more on elevation stuff. however i dont use that 3d stuff its buggier then the original 2d imo.

i never had a customer complain their sd tune went to crap when they went somewhere drive ability wise.. but just in general your WOT afr is going to change. that is what i meant.

there are baro tables on the rom for this as well as i noted.

your car shouldnt go from great to horrible tho in elevation changes as you kind of explained above.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Dan, doesn't the F-Con do speed density? Your car seems to be running rather stellar.
yes it does. but there are a few down sides to the F-Con im quite tired of. and a few other things.

i am not 100% set on going back in time to SD but with Aarons and other tuners recent success with it its worth catching up on
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
read this.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...bles-baro.html targets more on elevation stuff. however i dont use that 3d stuff its buggier then the original 2d imo.

i never had a customer complain their sd tune went to crap when they went somewhere drive ability wise.. but just in general your WOT afr is going to change. that is what i meant.

there are baro tables on the rom for this as well as i noted.

your car shouldnt go from great to horrible tho in elevation changes as you kind of explained above.
9653 isn't running well on 2.0SD as of right now, but 9417 runs very nice. It's the odd stutter that gets you, talked to Roadspike about it, but he's real busy currently.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evodan2004
well it will go from ok to drastically horrible if it isnt setup right to begin with.. say you were tuned in a diff state and you were still not tuned good.. car was spiking 17-18's at take off.. barely making it ok for stop and go.. well you move to a diff area and now all the sudden you're at 20+ afr on take off and you cant even get the car to move because as your reving up to take off you sputter and stall out and the car chokes on itself..

now lets say you were tuned at that same area but the tune was set for say 13-14 at take off.. you probably would never experience any of that choke or sputter once you reached your area because it would go from say 13-14 to 17 or so..

see what im saying? what Aaron said is right.. it depends how its setup.. if its setup wrong from the beginning then any little thing is gonna throw it off and make it run like ****.

Quick Reply: Final consensus on SD for a daily driver?