Notices
ECU Flash

Final consensus on SD for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From reading through everthing here, I can see the benefits of the speed density route. I have also noticed that nearly every guy that has posted in this thread either tunes or lives in close proximity to someone that tunes. For the average guy that is not a tuner and does not live in close proximity to a tuner to have those "tweaks" and adjustments made, the concensus is to remain with the stock MAF sensor, right?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pure_evo
From reading through everthing here, I can see the benefits of the speed density route. I have also noticed that nearly every guy that has posted in this thread either tunes or lives in close proximity to someone that tunes. For the average guy that is not a tuner and does not live in close proximity to a tuner to have those "tweaks" and adjustments made, the concensus is to remain with the stock MAF sensor, right?
completely up to you. you don't need a local tuner to be tuned on sd.. sd is actually really easy to tune remote.

now if you want to vent a tial bov or something of that nature, then id say you have no choice.. you would want to be on sd for that.

my personal cars still on a maf (lol), i just removed the screen, did proper ecu mods to remove load/fuel cap limits and scaled map accordingly to the loads i hit.. does just fine. makes very good power for its mods.

im sure id gain some hp switching to sd once changing the intake pipe, bov, etc, but i have a personal goal to reach on maf first.

so its completely up to you. eventually my car will be on sd though.

hope that helps.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
completely up to you. you don't need a local tuner to be tuned on sd.. sd is actually really easy to tune remote.

now if you want to vent a tial bov or something of that nature, then id say you have no choice.. you would want to be on sd for that.

my personal cars still on a maf (lol), i just removed the screen, did proper ecu mods to remove load/fuel cap limits and scaled map accordingly to the loads i hit.. does just fine. makes very good power for its mods.

im sure id gain some hp switching to sd once changing the intake pipe, bov, etc, but i have a personal goal to reach on maf first.

so its completely up to you. eventually my car will be on sd though.

hope that helps.
I am trying to honor my banner to "do things right the first time" without having parts all over my garage. Since I have already bought a custom speed density intake from Magnus, I suppose I will remain on the path. I already have the BR UICP flanged for the Tial BOV not to mention that I bought the speed density bundle from MAP last week. I did not know that remote speed density tuning was an option.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
for sure go that route then.. the last 3 cars i did remote were all sd. black, ef4, 30r.. (30r posted his results in the dyno section). if you have the hardware, there's absolutely no reason not to utilize it!

the only reason i don't run it on my car yet is because i want to hit a specific mph at the track on maf.. just a personal goal of mine.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
for sure go that route then. the last 3 cars i did remote were all sd. black, ef4, 30r (30r posted his results in the dyno section). if you have the hardware, there's absolutely no reason not to utilize it!
Personally, I have the EF3 at the moment with all of the bells and whistles.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im thinking about SD on my evo 9 for DD too and have AEM 5 bar map, do I need to buy Omni 4 bar?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
It makes it easier but its not 100% necessary. The 4 bar gives better resolution and works out to 44psi.

Aaron
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
It makes it easier but its not 100% necessary. The 4 bar gives better resolution and works out to 44psi.

Aaron

thanks
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by pure_evo
Ive been tuning less than a year. Within hrs of tuning sd the first time i was able to drive decently without going back and forth to maf sd for safety. If you can maf tune. You can def sd tune.. easier imho
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Ive been tuning less than a year. Within hrs of tuning sd the first time i was able to drive decently without going back and forth to maf sd for safety. If you can maf tune. You can def sd tune. easier imho
I am pretty set that this will be the route I take until I start to see any adverse effects, if any. I have a nice custom Magnus speed density intake and I am excited to see how it looks once everything is installed.