Notices
ECU Flash

Bigger turbos!!!! Lag VS Launch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That looks better. I would also smooth the transition above 7000 rpm if I were you though.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
That looks better. I would also smooth the transition above 7000 rpm if I were you though.
ok will do that.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
My.car. takes a north east cell pattern when I let the clutch out. Have you traced your launch yet ? A bog will send it farther north than east and a spin will jump to higher rpms.

Factory two step settings work for me on ax and street type pavement , but be careful when it comes to the real deal.. vht and other track prep may cause adverse launch conditions.

I've built only a 1-2 more psi than stock safely , I'm not sure how fuel tuning plays a role yet in launch maps .

Keep us posted.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I def agree with this. work on smoothing the map. you want it to work from your launch maps into the timing maps smooth and progressivly. Feel free to pm me and id be happy to discuss your maps with you. Good Luck!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help guys, I have not tested the new maps will keep you informed.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is an FP Red Evo I tuned and the customer asked for as much boost on the 2-step as I could get, though I suggested it was a bit much for a good launch. It ended up being too much for his launches to have reliable traction so it was adjusted to around 11-13psi I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAGQ...eature=related

This was achieved by using negative timing at the 2-step RPM and extra fuel during RPM ramp-up (you can hear it as the turbo starts spooling, sounds like gargling for a second). This approach always works for me and I generally can get around 10-13psi@6k rpm on a 6262 or 35r. Like everyone mentioned, the transition from the peak boost at launch, down to the area your car will 'bog' at, then back up to your normal powerband as the engine load increases is very important. Everyone has their own tricks and techniques with launch maps so try a few different ideas and see what works best for your setup.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Nov 21, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Here is an FP Red Evo I tuned and the customer asked for as much boost on the 2-step as I could get, though I suggested it was a bit much for a good launch. It ended up being too much for his launches to have reliable traction so it was adjusted to around 11-13psi I believe.

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4om7beuj1&...GQa0T0Io&gl=US

This was achieved by using negative timing at the 2-step RPM and extra fuel during RPM ramp-up (you can hear it as the turbo starts spooling, sounds like gargling for a second). This approach always works for me and I generally can get around 10-13psi@6k rpm on a 6262 or 35r. Like everyone mentioned, the transition from the peak boost at launch, down to the area your car will 'bog' at, then back up to your normal powerband as the engine load increases is very important. Everyone has their own tricks and techniques with launch maps so try a few different ideas and see what works best for your setup.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
Thanks for the pointers.

Your YouTube link is broken, but I think this is the video you meant to link to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAGQ...eature=related
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4om7beuj1&...GQa0T0Io&gl=US

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
Can you post the maps for a good 2-step, for example to do 10-13psi at 6k rpm on a 6262 or 35r???
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Construct
Your YouTube link is broken, but I think this is the video you meant to link to:
Thanks, I updated my post

Originally Posted by jonmorera
Can you post the maps for a good 2-step, for example to do 10-13psi at 6k rpm on a 6262 or 35r???
Well, no two cars are exactly the same depending on the mod list but this is just an example for you to get an idea what we are talking about.

-Jamie
Attached Thumbnails Bigger turbos!!!! Lag VS Launch-launch_timing.jpg  
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks mate!!!!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, no two cars are exactly the same depending on the mod list but this is just an example for you to get an idea what we are talking about.

-Jamie
Jamie, correct me if I'm wrong; wouldn't stretching the area with -10° further to the right increase attainable boost on the 2-step? Since 120-140 load is only ~4-6 psi, if I'm not mistaken?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Ok here is another option for testing thanks to Dynotech.

Maybe this weekend will test the two options that I have to see which gives better results.

Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Jamie, correct me if I'm wrong; wouldn't stretching the area with -10° further to the right increase attainable boost on the 2-step? Since 120-140 load is only ~4-6 psi, if I'm not mistaken?
makes sense what you say.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Once boost is built, it generally will retain itself to some degree. You dont want it TOO negative in the peak areas where you will begin to transition under a driving load or you may induce knock. My best advice is to work on the boost building area first, see where it maxes out in load, then try tapering the timing more positive at full boost and see if there is no loss in boost.

There is no 'one way' to get these maps to work for you. Just try it out and make small adjustments until you achieve your goal

-Jamie
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

ok I´ll try to make it

Thanks Jamie

Quick Reply: Bigger turbos!!!! Lag VS Launch